Supreme Court Overturning Roe v Wade

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Supreme Court Overturning Roe v Wade

Post by Res Ipsa »

Ajax, how would your system work. Would six outside of marriage be a misdemeanor? A felony? Are you thinking of prison sentences as punishment? For how long? How many new prisons would the taxpayers have to pay for? Which is cheaper— welfare or housing people in prisons?

What if the sex outside of marriage results in pregnancy? What happens to the fetus? Abortion forced by the state?

How would you word a law that results in forced sterilization as a penalty for having kids that one can’t afford?

Are you really comfortable giving government that much power, knowing that your political enemies that you hate so much may come into power someday in your state?

Right now, the total population of the US is declining (even before COVID). You want to both “close the borders” and reduce the number of children born in the US. With a fairly rapid decline in population, how do you expect to produce 5% annual growth in GDP that you think should be “normal?” With inflation partly due to labor force shortages, how are you going to avoid inflation caused by a shrinking work force?

Is it possible that you may be overreacting to a couple of extreme examples? Are more children born in Prison gathered by cis-men or trans-men? How typical is the guy with the 11 kids?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Ajax18 - “Black people make too many babies! There are too many black people in jail costing me money!”

Also, Ajax18 - “Outlaw fornication and abortion!”

More black babies being born than ever before.

Ajax18 - “Throw those fornicators in jail, I’ll foot the bill personally!”

What do you do with the excess black babies that are now torn from their families?

Ajax18 - “Not my problem!”

-_-

eta: If you really want to know what Ajax18’s true solution you have to look no further than his handle.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

My point is that legalizing and completely deregulating abortion will not reduce the number of welfare families women choose to create each year.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 1:18 am
… absolutely nobody on this board and very few people in real life agree with me on outlawing premarital sex, and make people pass a financial competency requirement before they are allowed to have children?

If you are serious about those two things, then you’d have given some thought as to how to implement and enforce them.

- What should the penalty be for premarital sex?

- Does the rule actually apply for all premarital sex, or just premarital pregnancies?

- If for both, are we needing to create a virginity test? How - and and when - are the tests given?

- As for financial responsibility - what should this criteria be, and how do we adjust for age/education/area of residence/family support? How does loss of a job during pregnancy affect the plan?

It’s easy to just say stuff. It’s harder to figure out the details behind what you want. But, maybe you have a few ideas on how to make these work ..?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 4:24 pm
Is it possible that you may be overreacting to a couple of extreme examples?

That anecdote about the fellow with dozens of kids is 10 years old.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 5:54 pm
My point is that legalizing and completely deregulating abortion will not reduce the number of welfare families women choose to create each year.

Abortion being available may not reduce the number of welfare families, but it can reduce the number of children on welfare. Do you find that plausible?

I don’t see many people advocating for the complete deregulation of abortion, anyway, and you won’t find a place in the US that has that.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

ajax18 wrote:
Abortion and birth control won't eliminate welfare families, but to say it won't reduce them? That sounds like a guy who knows better but can't go against his party.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Based on one anecdote? The majority of abortions today are obtained by poor women. When Roe and Casey are overruled next month and extreme state anti abortion laws go into effect, women who are not poor will be able travel to another state and get an abortions. It’s the poor women who can’t afford to go elsewhere who will be forced to give birth against their will. Be prepared to have the cost of welfare in your state to go through the roof.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Res Ipsa wrote:Based on one anecdote? The majority of abortions today are obtained by poor women. When Roe and Casey are overruled next month and extreme state anti abortion laws go into effect, women who are not poor will be able travel to another state and get an abortions. It’s the poor women who can’t afford to go elsewhere who will be forced to give birth against their will. Be prepared to have the cost of welfare in your state to go through the roof.
According to MMM, "The Great Replacement" 'theory' is part of the Buffalo manifesto. Let me see if I have this right. So the concern swirling among a growing sector of white republicans is that they are being replaced by nonwhites. According to the stats I'm looking at, whites dominate the small households in the US, and nonwhites dominate the large households. The best way to fix that, is to implement policy that will dramatically increase the number of nonwhites born, while only modestly increasing the number of whites born?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Be prepared to have the cost of welfare in your state to go through the roof.
I could see an argument that if contraception were outlawed, the cost of welfare could increase. But contraception is already cheap, legal and readily available to any that choose to use it. Sadly states outlawing a few of the most barbaric abortion practices will have little to no effect on the cost of welfare.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.