Supreme Court Overturning Roe v Wade

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Supreme Court Overturning Roe v Wade

Post by Gadianton »

Ajax wrote:I could see an argument that if contraception were outlawed, the cost of welfare could increase. But contraception is already cheap, legal and readily available to any that choose to use it. Sadly states outlawing a few of the most barbaric abortion practices will have little to no effect on the cost of welfare.
Sure, but in states such as, oh, just pulling something out of the air here, Texas?
If this draft reflects the final decision of the Court, expected this summer, it would virtually eliminate abortion access in Texas. Last year, the Legislature passed a so-called “trigger law” that would go into effect 30 days after the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, making performing abortion a felony.

The law would make an exception only to save the life of the pregnant patient or if they risk “substantial impairment of major bodily function.”

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05/02 ... -roe-wade/
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:13 pm
Be prepared to have the cost of welfare in your state to go through the roof.
I could see an argument that if contraception were outlawed, the cost of welfare could increase. But contraception is already cheap, legal and readily available to any that choose to use it. Sadly states outlawing a few of the most barbaric abortion practices will have little to no effect on the cost of welfare.
Do you really not understand how drastically some states’ abortion laws are going to change next month? In many states — probably where you live — the law will become no abortion. In some states, the laws will include making it illegal to leave the state to obtain an abortion. How many abortions in your state last year? Get ready to pay for all those babies next year and the year after that and the year after that and into the future. You’re talking about the taxpayers of your state forcing women to give birth against their will — a great many of whom can’t afford to take care of them. Either you’ll end up with a huge influx of babies in the foster system, or ever increasing welfare rolls. Get ready for the unwanted child tax increases, because they’re coming.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 10:09 pm
Ajax wrote:I could see an argument that if contraception were outlawed, the cost of welfare could increase. But contraception is already cheap, legal and readily available to any that choose to use it. Sadly states outlawing a few of the most barbaric abortion practices will have little to no effect on the cost of welfare.
Sure, but in states such as, oh, just pulling something out of the air here, Texas?
If this draft reflects the final decision of the Court, expected this summer, it would virtually eliminate abortion access in Texas. Last year, the Legislature passed a so-called “trigger law” that would go into effect 30 days after the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, making performing abortion a felony.

The law would make an exception only to save the life of the pregnant patient or if they risk “substantial impairment of major bodily function.”

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05/02 ... -roe-wade/
And the reality is, there will be few, if any, physicians in Texas who will be competent at abortions. So. In an emergency, where is the patient supposed to find trained and competent emergency physicians and nurses? And, given the liability and criminal exposure result created by the fact that a jury of 12 folks who don’t know crap about medicine get to decide whether the medical personnel end up in prison, the death rate for pregnant women will inevitably increase.

You couldn’t pay me enough to live in a handmaid state.
he/him

ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I don’t see many people advocating for the complete deregulation of abortion, anyway, and you won’t find a place in the US that has that.
Every Democrat currently in Congress except Henry Cuellar voted in favor of late term abortion which means abortion right up until the moment of birth.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 11:57 pm

I don’t see many people advocating for the complete deregulation of abortion, anyway, and you won’t find a place in the US that has that.
Every Democrat currently in Congress except Henry Cuellar voted in favor of late term abortion which means abortion right up until the moment of birth.
No, it actually doesn’t. Why do you keep parroting dishonest propaganda? Link me to a bill that Democrats voted for that says “abortion that occurs one second before birth is legal” or anything close. Voting against a bill is voting against that specific bill — not voting “for” anything.
he/him

ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

No, it actually doesn’t.
What exactly does late term abortion mean then?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Ajax, what happened to your worries about taxes?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:46 am
No, it actually doesn’t.
What exactly does late term abortion mean then?
Exactly! Link to the bill.
he/him

ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:50 am
I think I've already addressed this in great detail.

If legalized abortion lowers taxes, then your taxes should be much lower out on the left coast as a result of your pro choice laws. Let's see if that's how it actually works out.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:16 am
Gadianton wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:50 am
I think I've already addressed this in great detail.

If legalized abortion lowers taxes, then your taxes should be much lower out on the left coast as a result of your pro choice laws. Let's see if that's how it actually works out.
LOL! You do know that taxes are used for more than welfare, right? Compare apples to apples. The difference is we won’t be forcing poor women to have children they can’t afford. So, the repeal of Roe and Casey won’t be generating more babies who need financial support from the state. Not only that, we’ll welcome the businesses and well-qualified personnel who don’t want the government forcing women to give birth against their will. You enjoy your soon to be increased taxes and unwanted children.
he/him