Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by honorentheos »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:40 am
Thanks for posting the link, Mister H. Play this every day. Somedays I have no clue, somedays I have an 'aha' moment and feel like I'm a geography guru until the next day's puzzle.
I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Xenophon wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:03 pm
I'm interested to see if we do sync up.

Today's was pretty easy given the fairly high rate the country pops into current events. One bit that I didn't realize was tricking my brain until today was scale. The outline appears roughly the same size regardless of actual country dimensions and it didn't strike me how off-putting it was until todays, where you have a large country occupying the same screen real-estate as significantly smaller countries just a few guesses ago. It doesn't feel as noticeable when very small countries are presented as larger, guess I'll have to try to add that to the consideration pile when guessing.
Agree on all accounts. It's the first one I "knew" as in had no hesitation. The flag was just too recognizable to be in question.

Also agree on the scale question. It threw me off on the one you had yesterday.

I'm resisting the urge to open the link. So we will see if tomorrow we are synced up or if I just miss a day.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

honorentheos wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:30 pm
Xenophon wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:03 pm
I'm interested to see if we do sync up.

Today's was pretty easy given the fairly high rate the country pops into current events. One bit that I didn't realize was tricking my brain until today was scale. The outline appears roughly the same size regardless of actual country dimensions and it didn't strike me how off-putting it was until todays, where you have a large country occupying the same screen real-estate as significantly smaller countries just a few guesses ago. It doesn't feel as noticeable when very small countries are presented as larger, guess I'll have to try to add that to the consideration pile when guessing.
Agree on all accounts. It's the first one I "knew" as in had no hesitation. The flag was just too recognizable to be in question.

Also agree on the scale question. It threw me off on the one you had yesterday.

I'm resisting the urge to open the link. So we will see if tomorrow we are synced up or if I just miss a day.
It was a gimme for me, too.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Morley wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:20 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:30 pm

Glad to see someone else also playing, Morley. :)

I'm curious if the geographic shape played a role for you? I admit it was the flag that gave it away for me. I wouldn't have known it by its outline, or I don't think I would. I think I'd recognize their neighbor and historic rival because of reasons based on outline so maybe. But in this instance it was definitely the flag that made me certain and not feel like I was guessing.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:07 am
Morley wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:20 pm

Glad to see someone else also playing, Morley. :)

I'm curious if the geographic shape played a role for you? I admit it was the flag that gave it away for me. I wouldn't have known it by its outline, or I don't think I would. I think I'd recognize their neighbor and historic rival because of reasons based on outline so maybe. But in this instance it was definitely the flag that made me certain and not feel like I was guessing.
Either would have given it to me. I've been there. We sometimes fly that flag.

<possible spoilers below>

One of the earlier puzzles frustrated me because I was thrown off by the 'distance' clue. The answer was Morocco and I had guessed Western Sahara. The puzzle told me I was 600 klicks off. I knew the answer had to be Morocco but was confused because I also knew the two countries share a border. It took me a while to realize the program calculates distance from the center of each country.

It's a good game, honor.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Well today was a no brainer with even a modicum of geographic knowledge. The flag alone should have solved it for many :mrgreen: .
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I'm going to guess we didn't sync up, then :? Or I'm worse at this than I even could guess?

I was one country off, guessing a neighbor.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:59 pm
I'm going to guess we didn't sync up, then :? Or I'm worse at this than I even could guess?

Well now I might feel like a jerk.

***Spoilers***
I had Ireland(highlight the preceding text to reveal, no idea if this works on all display formats)
**Spoilers***
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Xenophon wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:58 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:59 pm

Well now I might feel like a jerk.

***Spoilers***
I had Ireland(highlight the preceding text to reveal, no idea if this works on all display formats)
**Spoilers***
That was the one I had, too.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Looks like we didn't sync up then. And I missed ____&. :(

ETA: I'd hope I would have got that one off both the flag and the outline. But then, I've messed up before.