Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by honorentheos »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:52 pm
If the point is to know geography, I fail, but if it's to learn world geography, it works well.
Totally agree. It has made me more geographically aware. Wordle is fun enough but I've never learned a new word by playing it.

Today I learned another country whose shape was familiar had a flag that wasn't to me...and yet again was embarrassed by it. The whole time I'm thinking I should know what it is...guessing wildly off, to get to the capital clue and realize I'm a dunce. It will probably be easy for most people. I'm just a dope.
Last edited by honorentheos on Thu May 19, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

So today was a weird one. I had it instantly because of the flag, I don't know where I learned that or why I retained it but the name popped into my head instantly when I saw it. The shape was the only reason I second guessed. I didn't realize the country had that geographical split. If I hadn't had 5 guesses I don't know what I would have done but given multiple tries it wasn't much risk to go with my gut.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

It was weird for me, too. It's yet another country I know next-to-nothing about, but my first guess (based on the flag's emblem) was pretty close geographically. I mentally made a short list of countries that I thought were in the region, and my 2nd guess was further away than my 1st. I started to type in the name of my 3rd guess (which is close both geographically and alphabetically) when I noticed the name of what turned out to be the correct answer -- a name which hadn't even occurred to me -- and thought it could just as easily be that as any other country on my list. This guess was a coin-flip as far as I was concerned, but since it happened to come up 'heads' I will be happy to call it 'going with my gut.' (It seems there is often a fine, arbitrary line between 'going with my gut' and 'wild-assed guess.')
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I figured the one you all have today would be both interesting and an easier one for at least some people.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 2:29 pm
I figured the one you all have today would be both interesting and an easier one for at least some people.
Ha! Indeed. To me, this last one seemed to be crafted solely to soothe my torn and humbled ego. That said, I vacillate between thinking that the countries presented are way too easy (Wow, how could anybody not recognize Utah?) and wondering how the hell I could be such a complete idiot about geography (Seriously? I didn't know the James Bond/Harry Belafonte island in the frickin Caribbean?).
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I would like to think the one you all will have tomorrow will be easy for almost everyone, and everyone will get it before the guesses run out. I sent my self on the long path around. I even thought something along the lines of, "That looks like ______. I wonder if it's (insert other country)". I have no idea why I though I knew the flag and therefore the one shown meant it had to be somewhere else. I mean, I got it after being wrong. But man.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

honorentheos wrote:I would like to think the one you all will have tomorrow will be easy for almost everyone, and everyone will get it before the guesses run out. I sent my self on the long path around. I even thought something along the lines of, "That looks like ______. I wonder if it's (insert other country)". I have no idea why I though I knew the flag and therefore the one shown meant it had to be somewhere else. I mean, I got it after being wrong. But man.
After reading this I approached today's with "don't overthink it" as my mantra. Bingo.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:40 pm
honorentheos wrote:I would like to think the one you all will have tomorrow will be easy for almost everyone, and everyone will get it before the guesses run out. I sent my self on the long path around. I even thought something along the lines of, "That looks like ______. I wonder if it's (insert other country)". I have no idea why I though I knew the flag and therefore the one shown meant it had to be somewhere else. I mean, I got it after being wrong. But man.
After reading this I approached today's with "don't overthink it" as my mantra. Bingo.
Glad my errors proved helpful. :)

I did get the one I had today in two.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Well. My gosh. I finally got one on the first guess. This is the map that has a small island upper left that looks like a bust of JFK wearing a Whigs wig.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

I needed all 5 guesses today, and may not have got it were it not for a Rush lyric that refers to its capital city -- Neil Peart saved my bacon.