Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by honorentheos »

:lol:

Since Cuba should be in the past for everyone, I don't think it's a spoiler to say this.

For some reason when I saw it I thought it looked like Cuba but the flag was wrong. And then I apparently thought the south coastline looked more like a geographic border. This led me to try and guess locations starting on the northeast of South America. I shamefully did this up to getting Havana as the capital clue and immediately wanted to throw my phone across the room. It still smarts a little.

Today's was also better. I can guess why, and it wasn't because I'm a geography wiz, obviously.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

honorentheos wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 3:30 pm
:lol:

Since Cuba should be in the past for everyone, I don't think it's a spoiler to say this.

For some reason when I saw it I thought it looked like Cuba but the flag was wrong. And then I apparently thought the south coastline looked more like a geographic border. This led me to try and guess locations starting on the northeast of South America. I shamefully did this up to getting Havana as the capital clue and immediately wanted to throw my phone across the room. It still smarts a little.

Today's was also better. I can guess why, and it wasn't because I'm a geography wiz, obviously.
Honorentheos, I was truly embarrassed by having difficulty with Cuba as well. I had a mental image of Cuba which was somewhat more sausage shaped, rounded at the ends. Having seen my mistake and been embarrassed I can close my eye and the wrong shape is still brought to my mind.
I had to confer with a globe to realize my mistake. I, for myself, think checking a globe is not cheating but I would rather find without it.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I usually wait to check a map until after the results but that makes sense. It's more of a learning experience for me, too.

I do use a map after it's clear I won't be able to get the answer from my thin geographic knowledge on globle though. If it's clear I don't know the answer when I'm close but hit a wall it isn't any benefit to not do so.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Today's Worldle was one I think I should have gotten right away, but in retrospect I was trying to be too clever with my first guesses and ended up needing all five.

I needed a map again for today's Globle, despite my first guess being on the correct continent and my third guess actually sharing a border with the answer. I needed to consult a real map because the one I keep in my head had the country in question on a completely different continent. Derp.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I have a theory for why I both recognized Cuba and missed it until the capital clue. My video game preferences have always leaned towards real time strategy games or similar combinations of action/tactics, resource management, and larger scale strategy. And one game that hit all the buttons for me was the Port Royale series which focused on the colonial-era Caribbean where you play as an upstart privateer caught trying to find one's place among the powers of Spain, France, England, and the Netherlands. Cuba is prominent on the map and starts out primarily under Spanish control. I picked up the third game in the series when looking for a distraction and played it off and on for so long I had become the strongest power, having reduced each of the other four powers down to two or three cities each. I quit playing once it became clear I couldn't actually send any of them back to Europe completely as the game mechanics simply did not allow a power to be crushed and eliminated from play.

I'm pretty sure having the shape of Cuba on screen that much combined with the flag of my privateer kingdom flying over Havana for way too many hours had to at least partially contribute to my failing. The damn Spanish took a little revenge in real life it seems...
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I'm curious how you all do today. I thought it was unique.

I guessed the one you all will get tomorrow in three, but I'd like to think it was an educated guess.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

My ego suffers much less damage when the name of the country is actually spelled out on the flag's emblem. Hopefully, one day soon, other countries will adopt this simple kindness and follow suit (I am looking at you, Sierra Leone).

eta: :o
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 1:47 pm
My ego suffers much less damage when the name of the country is actually spelled out on the flag's emblem. Hopefully, one day soon, other countries will adopt this simple kindness and follow suit (I am looking at you, Sierra Leone).

eta: :o
Lol
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I got this one too after reading the flag.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

I've taken to shamelessly cheating. Unfortunately, it really hasn't made much of a difference. Nevertheless, I still queue up every day for my morning cup of bitter humiliation. Afterword, I soothe myself by playing Wordle. I can usually figure out the answer to Wordle.