Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
User avatar
Xenophon
2nd Quorum of 70
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:29 pm

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by Xenophon »

honorentheos wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:47 pm
I didn't get the one you had today. I'm impressed you identified the region right away. I ended up a ways below it and then misjudged how far away I was with my guesses.
It was likely dumb luck for the region. My brain immediately jumped to Hungary, I had the flag colors swapped. That got me close enough I could just walk through the region.

It doesn't hurt that quite a few of the countries in the area have a similar shape, fairly rectangular with east to west length. Might be why my brain was so certain on the first answer.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
honorentheos
God
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:15 am

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by honorentheos »

Xenophon wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 9:42 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:47 pm
I didn't get the one you had today. I'm impressed you identified the region right away. I ended up a ways below it and then misjudged how far away I was with my guesses.
It was likely dumb luck for the region. My brain immediately jumped to Hungary, I had the flag colors swapped. That got me close enough I could just walk through the region.

It doesn't hurt that quite a few of the countries in the area have a similar shape, fairly rectangular with east to west length. Might be why my brain was so certain on the first answer.
Makes sense. I guess I can hope over time I develop a better feel for the geography of various regions. So far I'm realizing flags mean little unless they are iconic like the one a few days ago. I think the real lesson here is I need to spend more time familiarizing myself with the map without using names as way finding.
honorentheos
God
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:15 am

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by honorentheos »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 4:25 pm
The one I had today had me flummoxed until it gave me the capital as a clue, after which my experimental use of mnemonics in preparation for a Jr. High geography test finally paid off (it was one of the small handful I can still remember).
I'm curious to hear it if you don't mind sharing at some point. It sounds like you are on the same schedule as everyone else but me.
The one before that I didn't get, but was happy to get as close as I did. I managed to guess the nation two countries to the south, then the country on its southern border, and then drew a blank. But I was still proud of myself, considering it was on a continent about which I have spent decades amassing a remarkable amount of ignorance.
:D
User avatar
Bret Ripley
CTR B
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:55 am

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by Bret Ripley »

honorentheos wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 11:03 pm
Bret Ripley wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 4:25 pm
The one I had today had me flummoxed until it gave me the capital as a clue, after which my experimental use of mnemonics in preparation for a Jr. High geography test finally paid off (it was one of the small handful I can still remember).
I'm curious to hear it if you don't mind sharing at some point.
It's pretty pedestrian stuff (I *was* just a kid, after all) and the sillier the better. For example, Hungary sounds a bit like "hungry" and I associated it with a mental image of Buddha annoying people while begging for food (Budapest). For Thailand I imagined a Siamese cowboy shooting a rooster ("bang, cock"). That sort of thing. I used similar devices while memorizing the names of the bones of a human skeleton: one of them was a mental image of a giant gnawing on a human leg saying "Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum, a femur is a figh bone." These fractured bits of silliness are still swirling around in my braincase some 45+ years later; getting rid of them would probably require a first-rate exorcist.
honorentheos
God
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:15 am

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by honorentheos »

And then there are ones where both the flag and the border are unmistakable.
User avatar
Xenophon
2nd Quorum of 70
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:29 pm

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by Xenophon »

Today fit that for me. It is a country front of mind with current events as well so it isn't surprising it came right to mind.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
honorentheos
God
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:15 am

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by honorentheos »

Xenophon wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 5:15 pm
Today fit that for me. It is a country front of mind with current events as well so it isn't surprising it came right to mind.
I have to admit I didn't get it on the first guess and am embarrassed yet again. The highest point name helped it snap into place. Thus the "grrrrr" yesterday. I imagine the capital name would be a give away to even me had I got that far, but as you say it is front of mind so that helped short circuit my apparent attempt to overcomplicate things.
User avatar
Bret Ripley
CTR B
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:55 am

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by Bret Ripley »

It took me two guesses today. The shape seemed familiar, and one of the flag's colors nudged me in the right direction; two adjacent countries came to mind, and my first guess was in retrospect kind of dumb (it being landlocked).
honorentheos
God
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:15 am

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by honorentheos »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 5:45 pm
It took me two guesses today. The shape seemed familiar, and one of the flag's colors nudged me in the right direction; two adjacent countries came to mind, and my first guess was in retrospect kind of dumb (it being landlocked).
That sounds familiar. I don't recall what I guessed first but it wasn't on the right continent. My brain read part of the boundary as coastline that isn't. The name of the highest point made me rethink the native language and it was like looking at one of those 3d pictures that were popular in the mid-90s. Suddenly it was obvious and I felt sheepish.
User avatar
Bret Ripley
CTR B
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:55 am

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by Bret Ripley »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 6:38 pm
... those 3d pictures that were popular in the mid-90s. Suddenly it was obvious and I felt sheepish.
I still feel sheepish about those 3d pictures because I've never been able to see anything but splotches. I stare at them until I get eye-strain and then I just kind of want to punch something. :oops:
Post Reply