Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by Bret Ripley »

honorentheos wrote:So, really, where did the comments go?
I stopped playing/commenting when I became rather ill with COVID (doing much better now -- just really really tired). I've played a few times since then, and it's been feast-or-famine -- I either get it in one (Switzerland, a country I can't remember that had its name written on the flag) or not at all (Kyrgyzstan).

By the way: I pulled up today's puzzle and then -- out of curiosity -- I changed my system date to tomorrow. When I refreshed the page I got a different puzzle. Just in case you want to take a peek to see if it will be worth playing tomorrow. ;)
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:33 am
honorentheos wrote:So, really, where did the comments go?
I stopped playing/commenting when I became rather ill with COVID (doing much better now -- just really really tired). I've played a few times since then, and it's been feast-or-famine -- I either get it in one (Switzerland, a country I can't remember that had its name written on the flag) or not at all (Kyrgyzstan).
It sounds like there has been a high number of COVID cases among board members recently and everyone is recovering. It parallels the number of people I know in real life who never caught it during the worst of it but the current variants seem more contagious. I'm glad to hear everyone seems to be past the worst of it,.and hopefully the fatigue will pass as well. I just found out a person I know and work with at another company had a life-threatening case that left them hospitalized for three months, and involved catching a different infectious disease while in hospital. They had lost 50 lbs, hardly being a big person to begin with. It was shocking. The other recent cases where I know the person directly have been mild, and all involved exposure to someone who felt fine when they were in contact but then experienced symptoms and a positive test the next day. We started asking everyone to mask again in the office when in public spaces on a voluntary basis. It's not being mandated but those of us working together agreed we shouldn't have to be told to use common sense. Crazy times.
By the way: I pulled up today's puzzle and then -- out of curiosity -- I changed my system date to tomorrow. When I refreshed the page I got a different puzzle. Just in case you want to take a peek to see if it will be worth playing tomorrow. ;)
That's interesting it works that way. I play everyday, of course, even if I've stopped following the thread closely. It's interesting to see how bad I tend to be with the obscure or even average ones. But then the Switzerland, Germany, and El Salvador days don't bring any real sense of accomplishment. There's a sweet spot in-between the two extremes of immediate recognition and ones I'll never get in a hundred guesses.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:55 am
Switzerland, Germany, and El Salvador days don't bring any real sense of accomplishment. There's a sweet spot in-between the two extremes of immediate recognition and ones I'll never get in a hundred guesses.
Yeah -- it's kind of cool to recognize the country right away, but I feel a little robbed because I'm not actually engaging with the puzzle. I do enjoy trivia (flag recognition) but it's more fun to work through a problem; and if I fail ... at least I learned something.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

1 guess
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Bret Ripley wrote:
(Switzerland, a country I can't remember that had its name written on the flag)
Switzerland doesn’t have it’s name written on the flag.

July 11, 2022: First try!
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:20 pm
Bret Ripley wrote:
(Switzerland, a country I can't remember that had its name written on the flag)
You have to squint really really hard. Even then, it is written in unicorn blood and therefore invisible to most mortals.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:46 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:20 pm
You have to squint really really hard. Even then, it is written in unicorn blood and therefore invisible to most mortals.
I thought you may make a joke about their not knowing how to sign their name so they use the "x" in it's place. Only they did that wrong, too.

I love Switzerland, by the way, having served a mission there which I still refer to as winning the mission lottery. But it was funny to me how the age old enmities still float around, with the Swiss using Austrians as the butt of their jokes, while the southern Germans made fun of the Swiss. I don't know if it's still that way but in the mid-90's it was the norm for a joke to use other nationalities as targets. So a joke about illiterate Swiss would be low hanging fruit in south Germany.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

First try, but almost missed that one, as there is another country with the same flag colors and pattern, but mirror reversed.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

The opening post says a player gets five tries. I remember getting five tries for a while but it has been three only for a while now. With only three tries I consult a globe early on. For me that is part of the fun, I am not trying to win a competition.A few have been easy enough not to need a globe or second guess. Sometimes I am surprised by failure .
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

first guess