Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Worldle - Because There's More to Life than Word Games

Post by huckelberry »

Well today was too easy. I failed on the last couple though. I sort of kicked myself for not realizing at least one of those.

I am sorry that my post some days ago included a spoiler (which I assume is way outdated now). I did not think that other people would be getting the same puzzle the same day or that there was only one a day. The problem I had back a few days was my misread not the puzzle.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

After missing the one I had today by over 1000k I spent time reviewing the map and the guesses I made to better understand the scale of my misses. I kept thinking it was right near and just shooting around the target which proved inaccurate. I was aiming and hitting where I thought I was but misjudging the distances between the countries in that part of the world.

Ah, Worldle, the great leveler.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I feel there is a pattern with the game alternating between much more recognizable countries and ones that are less prominent. But that is subjective. While I missed the one you all had yesterday, I feel I should have guessed it based on the capital at a minimum because it had been prominent in the news a few years back. So it wasn't an obscure island country I'd never heard of. The one I assume you all have today just seems much more recognizable. So maybe the apparent pattern is one of degrees, too
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:21 pm
I am sorry that my post some days ago included a spoiler (which I assume is way outdated now). I did not think that other people would be getting the same puzzle the same day or that there was only one a day. The problem I had back a few days was my misread not the puzzle.
No worries. I haven't been able to convince anyone I know to start recently since everyone I know who might be interested in it is playing. But I'm hoping someone who hasn't played yet will try and confirm the first country they get is either the same one we all started with. Or it's from the pool of more recent countries.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Today was pretty straight forward though, if I'm reading honor right, I realized I've NEVER seen the flag before. Fortunately the border was unmistakable.
honorentheos wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:44 pm
No worries. I haven't been able to convince anyone I know to start recently since everyone I know who might be interested in it is playing. But I'm hoping someone who hasn't played yet will try and confirm the first country they get is either the same one we all started with. Or it's from the pool of more recent countries.
I tried showing my wife to see if could get here engaged to which I was called "a supreme dork". I feel like that Dark Knight Joker meme "tell someone to guess a word and everyone is fine, tell them to guess a country and they lose their minds".
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Lol.

Regarding the flag, yeah I didn't recognize it and it kind of threw me off enough I guessed at something else. But the shape was distinctive enough I thought it had to be it based on the distance and name of the highest point. And, on reflection the flag does make sense.

I was a victim of overthinking it but fortunately the cost was just not getting it right on the first guess.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Grrrrr...I feel like an idiot. I got it eventually but wow.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Took me a few tries today which I blame mostly on lack of caffeine. I had the region immediately but I realized I don't know flags or borders nearly as well here as I expected.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Xenophon wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:42 pm
Took me a few tries today which I blame mostly on lack of caffeine. I had the region immediately but I realized I don't know flags or borders nearly as well here as I expected.
I didn't get the one you had today. I'm impressed you identified the region right away. I ended up a ways below it and then misjudged how far away I was with my guesses.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

I haven't played every day, but I'm finding out that I'm really bad at identifying flags.

The one I had today had me flummoxed until it gave me the capital as a clue, after which my experimental use of mnemonics in preparation for a Jr. High geography test finally paid off (it was one of the small handful I can still remember).

The previous puzzle was a almost a gimme ... as if I wouldn't recognize Fezzik's former homeland.

The one before that I didn't get, but was happy to get as close as I did. I managed to guess the nation two countries to the south, then the country on its southern border, and then drew a blank. But I was still proud of myself, considering it was on a continent about which I have spent decades amassing a remarkable amount of ignorance.