Reading Discussion?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: Reading Discussion?

Post by Marcus »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:56 pm
…online reading groups and it's usually manageable provide a few things are addressed up front:

Book selection seems to work best under a nomination/voting system.

Reading discussing work best when broken into milestone discussions on a schedule. This encourages keeping up rather than waiting to the day before the discussion to try and binge read the entire book, but also discourages spoilers. If everyone knows the discussion will.be up to chapter x on Wednesdays it's easier to ensure participants are roughly at the same place in reading and are keeping pace….
My answers to Doc about what to read brought up an idea, there are some excellent short story collections that would provide an easy segue into the idea of breaking up the reading. If I were recommending some philosophically oriented, speculative fiction collections, I would probably start with

Ted Chiang’s Exhalation

(NYT selected this as one of top 10 fiction and non-fiction books of 2019)

Axiomatic, Greg Egan

(I talked about this a little, in post to Doc, above.)

Impossible Things or Fire Watch, Connie Willis

(Apropos of an ongoing discussion elsewhere in the board, a story from the first, “Even the Queen,” has this description from Wikipedia:

“Three generations of women discuss the decision of one of their daughters to join the "Cyclists", a group of traditionalist women who have chosen to menstruate even though scientific breakthroughs (in particular, a substance called "ammenerol") have made this unnecessary. The title refers to the fact that "even the Queen" (of the United Kingdom) menstruated.”

The title story from her second collection is hands down the most impactful time travel short story I’ve ever read, excepting only Philip Dick’s offerings.)

Are collections an acceptable book club selection, in your online group experience?
Schreech
CTR A

Post by Schreech »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 1:08 am
I can’t really commit to a reading group right now, but I do want to pop in and make an unsolicited recommendation. I’ve been on a Neil Stephenson kick the last few months, and have enjoyed his writing immensely. It’s near-future hard science fiction heavy on socio-political commentary. His world building is thorough, he writes tightly, he masterly weaves story lines together, and projects out reality thirty or so years in the future so adroitly you have to set the book down and let it marinate. I guess I’d describe him as a smarter version of Michael Crichton, but that feels a little disrespectful to him. Author information follows:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Stephenson

https://www.nealstephenson.com/social-media.html

If you have time to spare I recommend his sit downs with the lovable Lex Fridman:

https://www.google.com/search?q=neal+st ... s-wiz-serp

- Doc
YAS! I went on a Neal Stephenson/William Gibson kick a few years ago and can't recommend their writing enough. There are not many sci-fi authors that I will re-read and these two along with Dan Simmons are pretty much the only ones on the list. THanks for the recommendation on the podcast, Im on flights much of the day and will try to get this pulled down.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Marcus wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 3:21 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:56 pm
…online reading groups and it's usually manageable provide a few things are addressed up front:

Book selection seems to work best under a nomination/voting system.

Reading discussing work best when broken into milestone discussions on a schedule. This encourages keeping up rather than waiting to the day before the discussion to try and binge read the entire book, but also discourages spoilers. If everyone knows the discussion will.be up to chapter x on Wednesdays it's easier to ensure participants are roughly at the same place in reading and are keeping pace….
My answers to Doc about what to read brought up an idea, there are some excellent short story collections that would provide an easy segue into the idea of breaking up the reading. If I were recommending some philosophically oriented, speculative fiction collections, I would probably start with

Ted Chiang’s Exhalation

Axiomatic, Greg Egan

(Apropos of an ongoing discussion elsewhere in the board, a story from the first, “Even the Queen,” has this description from Wikipedia:

“Three generations of women discuss the decision of one of their daughters to join the "Cyclists", a group of traditionalist women who have chosen to menstruate even though scientific breakthroughs (in particular, a substance called "ammenerol") have made this unnecessary. The title refers to the fact that "even the Queen" (of the United Kingdom) menstruated.”

The title story from her second collection is hands down the most impactful time travel short story I’ve ever read, excepting only Philip Dick’s offerings.)

Are collections an acceptable book club selection, in your online group experience?
These all seem like excellent suggestions. It seems there's enough interest so I'll open a thread for nominations tomorrow and repost them if that is alright. I hope if one is selected that you would moderate the discussion?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:31 am
Marcus wrote:

Ted Chiang’s Exhalation

Axiomatic, Greg Egan

These all seem like excellent suggestions. It seems there's enough interest so I'll open a thread for nominations tomorrow and repost them if that is alright. I hope if one is selected that you would moderate the discussion?
I would be happy to, but I can’t make any commitments until July, so maybe next round. I have a kid getting married in late June, so I’m going to be pretty busy for a couple months.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:13 pm
honorentheos wrote:

I would be happy to, but I can’t make any commitments until July, so maybe next round. I have a kid getting married in late June, so I’m going to be pretty busy for a couple months.
Congratulations!!

Regardless of what we choose to read as a group, thank you for the excellent book selections, which I'm adding to my to read list. Every time I read short story collections, I think "I should really read more short stories." So thanks especially for those.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:24 pm
Marcus wrote:

Congratulations!!

Regardless of what we choose to read as a group, thank you for the excellent book selections, which I'm adding to my to read list. Every time I read short story collections, I think "I should really read more short stories." So thanks especially for those.
Thank you! And you’re welcome. I got into reading short stories when I was in the hospital many decades ago (nothing serious). You may have surmised that hard sci fi is what I gravitate to, with a smattering of character driven horror (well, Stephen King short stories to be exact). Short stories were exactly the thing I needed for that brief hospital stint. The nurses didn’t blink an eye at the giant stack of library hard covers I showed up with when I checked in, which I appreciated greatly. This was pre-kindle of course. : D

Another favorite I was reminded of today, “Jeffty is Five,” by Harlan Ellison.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:47 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:24 pm

Congratulations!!

Thank you! And you’re welcome. I got into reading short stories when I was in the hospital many decades ago (nothing serious). You may have surmised that hard sci fi is what I gravitate to, with a smattering of character driven horror (well, Stephen King short stories to be exact). Short stories were exactly the thing I needed for that brief hospital stint. The nurses didn’t blink an eye at the giant stack of library hard covers I showed up with when I checked in, which I appreciated greatly. This was pre-kindle of course. : D

Another favorite I was reminded of today, “Jeffty is Five,” by Harlan Ellison.
We share similar book tastes. Harlan Ellison is terrific and I always give props to a fellow Philip K. Dick fan. Hard SciFi is what I gravitate toward, which doesn't explain at all my current obsession with the Dresden Files. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Marcus wrote:
honorentheos wrote:

No worries, and best wishes to the happy couple!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

honorentheos wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 1:47 am
Marcus wrote:

No worries, and best wishes to the happy couple!
Thank you!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Marcus wrote:
Ted Chiang’s Exhalation

Axiomatic, Greg Egan

Ok, I ordered the two above along with The U, and picked up 2 more from Stephenson, Seven Eves and D.O.D.O.. I also ordered the follow up novel to Cixin Liu's trilogy. Thanks for chiming in peeps, you're helping me stay engaged.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.