Trump wanted to bomb Mexico

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Trump wanted to bomb Mexico

Post by honorentheos »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 7:11 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:Trump is an idiot, but I think the US should invade Mexico.
How on earth you didn't end up with a cabinet post will remain one of life's great mysteries.
Damn.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Bret Ripley wrote:
doubtingthomas wrote:Trump is an idiot, but I think the US should invade Mexico.
How on earth you didn't end up with a cabinet post will remain one of life's great mysteries.
It's not the going that's the problem in cases like this. It's the coming back again.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

honorentheos wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:40 pm
Bret Ripley wrote:
Damn.
Yeah, that may have been too harsh. In another thread I had just finished writing about losing a battle-of-wits against barn swallows and was in no mood to take prisoners.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Mark Esper Says He Had To Swat Down ‘Dangerous’ Trump Ideas Every Few Weeks

The former Pentagon chief said he had to prevent "things that could have taken the country in a dark direction."
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Manetho
Valiant B

Post by Manetho »

K Graham wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:57 pm
The former Pentagon chief said he had to prevent "things that could have taken the country in a dark direction."
And yet it never occurred to him to resign in protest, publicize the kinds of crazy things Trump was saying, and call for his impeachment and removal.

The usual defense for people in Esper's position is that they felt they could accomplish more by staying in office and tamping down Trump's worst impulses. But Trump could have fired Esper at any time; Trump became famous for firing his subordinates before he'd even finished his first year in office, long before Esper even became Secretary of Defense. Sooner or later, Trump would have found a complete yes-man willing to go along with even his craziest impulses, and Esper's real obligation was to stop Trump before that happened. Instead, he decided to stay quiet at the time and cash in with his book after the fact. It's sheer profiteering and cowardice.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:55 pm
And why was that a bad idea?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Manetho wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:34 pm
K Graham wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:57 pm
And yet it never occurred to him to resign in protest, publicize the kinds of crazy things Trump was saying, and call for his impeachment and removal.
What makes you think it didn't?
The usual defense for people in Esper's position is that they felt they could accomplish more by staying in office and tamping down Trump's worst impulses.
And they're right.
But Trump could have fired Esper at any time; Trump became famous for firing his subordinates before he'd even finished his first year in office, long before Esper even became Secretary of Defense. Sooner or later, Trump would have found a complete yes-man willing to go along with even his craziest impulses, and Esper's real obligation was to stop Trump before that happened.
He was stopping Trump before that happened.
Instead, he decided to stay quiet at the time and cash in with his book after the fact. It's sheer profiteering and cowardice.
No, he decided to continue stopping Trump until Trump found a complete yes-man, etc. We're fortunate that it never got to that point.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

What a terrible idea to nominate and elect a total buffoon like Trump. This mistake could only be compounded by doing it again.

The next time there will be no one to restrain Trump from actions like trying to nuke a hurricane.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Moksha wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 4:37 am
What a terrible idea to nominate and elect a total buffoon like Trump. This mistake could only be compounded by doing it again.
I agree Trump is a buffoon, but I do think the US should invade Mexico.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:22 am
I agree Trump is a buffoon, but I do think the US should invade Mexico.
Does this have something to do with replacement theory?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace