Trump wanted to bomb Mexico

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Trump wanted to bomb Mexico

Post by MeDotOrg »

After a while, what doesn't surprise you?
Washington (CNN)Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper says in his new book that then-President Donald Trump asked him in 2020 about launching missiles into Mexico to "destroy the drug labs" and kill cartels, The New York Times reported Thursday.

"We could just shoot some Patriot missiles and take out the labs, quietly," Trump suggested, according to the upcoming book "A Sacred Oath," the Times reported. The former President reasoned that Mexico didn't "have control" over its own country and that "no one would know it was us," Esper -- who objected at the time -- recounted, according to the Times.
How many stupid pills do you have to take to believe:
  • A surface to air missile could take out a drug lab.
  • Mexico would have no idea where the missile came from.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Trump wanted to bomb Mexico

Post by Res Ipsa »

Not only do we live in a simulation, whoever is in charge is sadistic. :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:47 pm
Washington (CNN)Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper says in his new book that then-President Donald Trump asked him in 2020 about launching missiles into Mexico to "destroy the drug labs" and kill cartels, The New York Times reported Thursday.
And why was that a bad idea? The cartels kill thousands of people and kidnap girls as young as 14. A lot of Mexican officials work for the cartels.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:27 pm
I really want to know why it was a bad idea.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:55 pm
MeDotOrg wrote:
And why was that a bad idea? The cartels kill thousands of people and kidnap girls as young as 14. A lot of Mexican officials work for the cartels.
Res Ipsa wrote:
First, it was idiotic to believe that no one would know who did it. Second, a military attack on any country, let alone an ally, is horrible foreign policy. Such an attack at the request of the Mexican government would be an entirely different matter.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

doubtingthomas wrote:
MeDotOrg wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Let's start with the fact that a Patriot Missile is a surface to air missile. Until the Mexicans have airborne drug labs, it would be a totally inappropriate weapon. It's like trying to shoot a deer with a fishing rod.

Theoretically, there is nothing wrong with taking down a drug lab. But even attacking a drug lab is an assault on the sovereignty of a foreign nation. IF we were to do such a thing, it would go through the State Department first, not the Defense Department Attacking a foreign nation in secret, even to take out a drug lab, is a violation of that country's sovereignty.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

You beat me to it posting this. It is just astonishing how much we learn after is tenure. This was truly the dumbest and most reckless President in US History. His "Patriot missile" suggestion was worse than George H Bush referencing the "midget man missile" during his debate.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 12:28 am
doubtingthomas wrote:

First, it was idiotic to believe that no one would know who did it. Second, a military attack on any country, let alone an ally, is horrible foreign policy. Such an attack at the request of the Mexican government would be an entirely different matter.
Do Mexicans want more cartels, or do just people in the Ozarks want more cartels? Maybe you don't know the answer and we should just ask CNN what to know.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 12:28 am

Second, a military attack on any country, let alone an ally, is horrible foreign policy. Such an attack at the request of the Mexican government would be an entirely different matter.
The US was doing that for years in the middle east.

A government working for the cartels is an ally? As I said, a lot of Mexican officials work for the cartels. The Mexican government shouldn't be an ally. Mexicans love their culture, but they hate the corrupt Mexican government.

The US isn't requesting fentanyl, a drug killing thousands of US citizens.
K Graham wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 3:29 am
You beat me to it posting this. It is just astonishing how much we learn after is tenure. This was truly the dumbest and most reckless President in US History. His "Patriot missile" suggestion was worse than George H Bush referencing the "midget man missile" during his debate.
Trump is an idiot, but I think the US should invade Mexico.
MeDotOrg wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 1:39 am

Let's start with the fact that a Patriot Missile is a surface to air missile. Until the Mexicans have airborne drug labs, it would be a totally inappropriate weapon. It's like trying to shoot a deer with a fishing rod.
Okay, fair point, but I still think the US military should go to Mexico.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

doubtingthomas wrote:Trump is an idiot, but I think the US should invade Mexico.
How on earth you didn't end up with a cabinet post will remain one of life's great mysteries.