Trump wanted to bomb Mexico

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Trump wanted to bomb Mexico

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:15 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:36 am
Step 3: Approach your own proposal with as much skepticism as you can muster. Figure out all the arguments for why this proposal you're in love with is a terrible idea. Take them seriously.

Okay fine, I won't argue with you. It would be very helpful if you answer my question.

If the US government never legalizes all drugs, then what would the next solution be?
No idea. And I wouldn't call it a "solution." Organized crime will shift to whatever crime is most profitable. People being who they are, if there is enough profit in something illegal, criminal organizations will get involved. It's a tough problem that may have no solution, other than looking for sensible harm reduction measures.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:06 am

No idea. And I wouldn't call it a "solution." Organized crime will shift to whatever crime is most profitable. People being who they are, if there is enough profit in something illegal, criminal organizations will get involved. It's a tough problem that may have no solution, other than looking for sensible harm reduction measures.
Okay, fair enough.

You said, "Such an attack at the request of the Mexican government would be an entirely different matter."

Do you believe the US can force Mexico to ask for help? For example the US telling Mexico: We help you fight the cartels or we sanction you.

Or do you believe the US shouldn't do anything about it other than legalize all drug someday?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Approach your own proposal with as much skepticism as you can muster. Figure out all the arguments for why this proposal you're in love with is a terrible idea.
Okay. Sending US troops to Mexico could be a terrible idea. I'll admit it. But we can't be sure.

And here are some sources

"Buttigieg on Sunday during a Latino forum in Los Angeles said that “there is a scenario where we could have security cooperation” between U.S. and Mexican troops to combat gang and drug violence across the border."
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... in-mexico/

"Ideally, as our fight is not with the Mexican government, its military or its people, which try to weaken the cartels, we would try to partner with those entities against the cartels, much as we partnered with the South Vietnamese government and military against the Vietcong and the North Vietnamese Army" - Matt A. Mayer, senior official at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
https://www.usnews.com/opinion/world-re ... er-opioids

And I insist the US could give Mexico an offer it can't refuse. Would you agree?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:32 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Approach your own proposal with as much skepticism as you can muster. Figure out all the arguments for why this proposal you're in love with is a terrible idea.
Okay. Sending US troops to Mexico could be a terrible idea. I'll admit it. But we can't be sure.

And here are some sources

"Buttigieg on Sunday during a Latino forum in Los Angeles said that “there is a scenario where we could have security cooperation” between U.S. and Mexican troops to combat gang and drug violence across the border."
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... in-mexico/

"Ideally, as our fight is not with the Mexican government, its military or its people, which try to weaken the cartels, we would try to partner with those entities against the cartels, much as we partnered with the South Vietnamese government and military against the Vietcong and the North Vietnamese Army" - Matt A. Mayer, senior official at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
https://www.usnews.com/opinion/world-re ... er-opioids

And I insist the US could give Mexico an offer it can't refuse. Would you agree?
I think I said that if Mexico requested help in the form of military assistance, it would be worth considering. What you were suggesting was an invasion. I also highly recommend reading up on how that partnership with South Vietnam actually worked out.

What, bully Mexico into letting us invade? Insist all you want. I told you I'm out.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:37 am
I told you I'm out.
70,630 drug overdose deaths in the US. Thousands of children getting kidnapped for sex in Mexico. Thousands of innocent people getting killed by cartel members.

I understand it's not your problem sir. We can't do anything about it, oh well.

Bye.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Trump wondered about nuking a hurricane, while Stephen Miller wanted to deploy Zyklon B.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Morley wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:12 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:26 am

Normal Mexican citizens wouldn't see the US military as the aggressor.
Arizona, California, New Mexico, Texas, Nevada, Utah, and part of Colorado.
And... I'm dead.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:

Step 2: Research and read. Read about the Vietnam War and the Iraq/Afghanistan was and pseudo occupations. Read about past efforts to fight the drug war using military forces. Read about the consequences of invading other countries. Read about the whole history of the drug war. And do it from the stance that everything you think you know about these topics now is utter nonsense.
Okay boss, I simply want to let you know that I couldn't find anything. I couldn't find a government report, military experts, or a research paper on Google scholar explaining why sending US troops to Mexico is a bad idea. There is no research available to the public.

Past efforts to fight the drug war using US military forces?

Is Mexico like Vietnam, or Iraq/Afghanistan?

Just to let you know boss, you don't have to reply. Have a great day.