The Crying Game

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

The Crying Game

Post by dantana »

About 15 years ago I was sitting in a bar in Auckland NZ. Unbeknownst to me, but made known to me is that people down under are amused by our American dialect as much as we Americans are theirs.

Anyway, sitting in a lounge, I was in my early forties, a group of lesbians, maybe about ten in number came in and sat around a table near me and started interacting with me. There was a cute gal (CG) in the group that was sitting near me and I could tell she had taken a liking to me as she was mostly ignoring the group and talking to me. After about a half hour, her special friend strode over, all but physically picked her up and moved her and the group across the room. She turned around after a few paces and explained to me that I wasn't welcome to follow.

Hmm. So, this special friend gal (Bossy Girl/BG) was big, heavy, homely, hair and dress masc., loud, obnoxious, do all the talking, etc. Kinda looked like Ernest Borgnine. All of the fine quality attributes of your run-of-the-mill, male, redneck, idiot in his Harley T-shirt.

My question then being, what's the point in gender specific romantic interest if one can't tell the diff with their clothes on? I mean, who knows, BG could have been a guy pretending to be a girl acting like a guy. I'm thinking of maybe a variation of a gender version of the 'Chinese room' thought experiment.

I wonder, what is it that CG finds attractive in a love interest. Is it the fine shape of a woman's figure? - No. Not in this case.

Ditto for male? - No. Apparently not.

Is she looking for panache, intellect, modesty, money, domination, female genitalia? Nope, no, no, I guess maybe, I guess maybe, I guess probably.

Is there anything wrong with that, - that is, picking a person based only on their having similar bits? No. Not at all, just curious.

Thread author notes: Since this post started out as anecdotal to other current board topics but devolved into what some might see as SSA dickishness, personal attacks will be allowed.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
honorentheos
God

Re: The Crying Game

Post by honorentheos »

Anecdotally when serving as a missionary in Switzerland we met an Australian woman there for work, smoking outside an apartment building we had targeted to tract through. While we did the whole missionary thing, standing up wind of her cigarette smoke, she chatted us up for a while until she was done smoking, stubbed it out, then told us she'd be around if we ever wanted to hang out. Not uncommon, but a missionary non-starter. It was in that conversation where we found out to her our accents were something she found...I don't know. Entertaining? Funny? She enjoyed hearing it I guess. Never went back to that apartment block after we finished tracting through it.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

dantana wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 6:16 pm
My question then being, what's the point in gender specific romantic interest if one can't tell the diff with their clothes on?
As I’ve been want to do over the course of this year, yesterday I tuned into an episode of Lex Fridman on YouTube. He was interviewing a guy named David Buss.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Buss
David Michael Buss is an American evolutionary psychologist at the University of Texas at Austin, researching human sex differences in mate selection. He is considered one of the founders of evolutionary psychology.
As the interview went on, as it does, I began to google variations of David + Buss + *whatever*. I ended up reading this paper, which is 18 pages, but it’s really like 9 if you remove he tables and footnotes:

https://labs.la.utexas.edu/buss/files/2 ... rences.pdf

I don’t really know how to pare the paper down to two sentences so some morons can understand what he wrote, but I think you might like it, and it might tickle some brain pathways with regard to mate selection? I dunno.

A review of his book, “The Evolution of Desire.”:
Feminists hate this book, the politically correct call it chauvinistic - both indicators of a book a thinking person should read. And it is, a must-read by my standards.

Buss spells it out for all of us - we are biological sex machines; genes making us have pre-programmed us to prefer certain things in mates no matter people feel about these preferences.

I personally felt no vibe of bias in the book, Buss' arguments are straightforward, evolutionarily plausible and applicable to the vast majority of people in the world.

To those arguing that Buss' findings only relate to our evolutionary history, not the present - nonsense. Sexual preference is like the taste of sweetness, no amount of socialization and education will change the fact that men and women world-wide prefer some features over others regardless of how politically-correct they are.
The reason why I share this, given your OP, is the woman demonstrating male traits fell in line with regard to typical male sexual strategies, while the cute girl fell more in line with typical female strategies. What I’m really getting at, is that I’m disappointed that you didn’t get into a fight with a butch lesbian in New Zealand, and then had an epic tale of when to two worlds of mating strategies collide.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
dantana
2nd Counselor

Post by dantana »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 6:35 pm
then told us she'd be around if we ever wanted to hang out. Not uncommon, but a missionary non-starter. It was in that conversation where we found out to her our accents were something she found...I don't know. Entertaining? Funny? She enjoyed hearing it I guess. Never went back to that apartment block after we finished tracting through it.
Thanks Honor. You know, at the time I was a little envious of the guys that got calls to exotic places. I was from Washington. state and got called to CO. Denver mission. But then, I think maybe in the back of my mind and maybe even a little bit the front, I was actually pleased. I think that even though it's taboo, guys on their mission are slightly on the lookout for a future spouse. So, I guess maybe I was a little bit happy that I was still relatively in my home stadium where the potential for a future score was perhaps higher than exotic lands.

I am still envious of you though.
dantana
2nd Counselor

Post by dantana »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 7:14 pm
dantana wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 6:16 pm
My question then being, what's the point in gender specific romantic interest if one can't tell the diff with their clothes on?
As I’ve been want to do over the course of this year, yesterday I tuned into an episode of Lex Fridman on YouTube. He was interviewing a guy named David Buss.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Buss
David Michael Buss is an American evolutionary psychologist at the University of Texas at Austin, researching human sex differences in mate selection. He is considered one of the founders of evolutionary psychology.
As the interview went on, as it does, I began to google variations of David + Buss + *whatever*. I ended up reading this paper, which is 18 pages, but it’s really like 9 if you remove he tables and footnotes:

https://labs.la.utexas.edu/buss/files/2 ... rences.pdf

I don’t really know how to pare the paper down to two sentences so some morons can understand what he wrote, but I think you might like it, and it might tickle some brain pathways with regard to mate selection? I dunno.

A review of his book, “The Evolution of Desire.”:
Feminists hate this book, the politically correct call it chauvinistic - both indicators of a book a thinking person should read. And it is, a must-read by my standards.

Buss spells it out for all of us - we are biological sex machines; genes making us have pre-programmed us to prefer certain things in mates no matter people feel about these preferences.

I personally felt no vibe of bias in the book, Buss' arguments are straightforward, evolutionarily plausible and applicable to the vast majority of people in the world.

To those arguing that Buss' findings only relate to our evolutionary history, not the present - nonsense. Sexual preference is like the taste of sweetness, no amount of socialization and education will change the fact that men and women world-wide prefer some features over others regardless of how politically-correct they are.

- Doc
Well, this sounds like you have diagnosed and dosed me perfectly. I will read it. Thanks Doc.

What I’m really getting at, is that I’m disappointed that you didn’t get into a fight with a butch lesbian in New Zealand, and then had an epic tale of when to two worlds of mating strategies collide.
LOL :lol:
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Speaking of New Zealand Lesbians, my favorites are the Topp Twins. If you've never seen The Topp Twins Documentary, I highly recommend it.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land