Mississippi Governor says he will force children and incest victims to give birth

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Mississippi Governor says he will force children and incest victims to give birth

Post by ajax18 »

And abortions in the third trimester, let alone at the last minute, are extremely rare.
But still legal?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
K Graham
God

Re: Mississippi Governor says he will force children and incest victims to give birth

Post by K Graham »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:05 pm
And abortions in the third trimester, let alone at the last minute, are extremely rare.
But still legal?
They aren't legal in the sense that a pregnant woman can just up and decide to abort. Most states have restrictions on late term abortions already, so what's this new ruling good for? You said we're focused on 1% which is rape or incest as if that doesn't matter, but there are more women being impregnated via rape than there are abortions via Suction Curettage which is all you're focused on.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:23 pm
… or just failed to use widely available birth control.

There are no prescribed or OTC birth control methods that are always 100% effective.

Does failure of a birth control method or device equate to a consent to pregnancy?
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Republicans fought tooth and nail to prevent the expansion of birth control, the only measure known to effectively reduce abortion rates. Abortion dropped dramatically after Obamacare expanded access.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

K Graham wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:53 pm
Republicans fought tooth and nail to prevent the expansion of birth control, the only measure known to effectively reduce abortion rates. Abortion dropped dramatically after Obamacare expanded access.
But ... people who are not married having sex is against God's will. The state should not pay to enable those who commit sins to avoid the natural consequences of their wicked lustfulness.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax, should the government compel you to surrender your body to another individual, to use it as they please against your will?
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:05 pm
But still legal?
You're doing the same thing that you accused others of doing.
ajax18 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:23 pm
What you're doing with this focus on rape and incest (which accounts for about 1% of all abortions) is focusing on an edge case.
You're hypocritically focusing on a behavior that accounts for less than 1% of all abortions.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

canpakes wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 3:06 pm
ajax, should the government compel you to surrender your body to another individual, to use it as they please against your will?
Do you think any abortions should be illegal under any circumstances?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:27 pm
canpakes wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 3:06 pm
Do you think any abortions should be illegal under any circumstances?

My own opinion: aside from the exclusions commonly stated that should always apply (rape, incest or endangerment of health), third trimester abortion should be limited, given that the fetus is past the point of viability and the parent has essentially committed to consent at that point, given the timeline. More than 40 states already follow this guideline. But I also believe that there should be some strong assistance options available to women who’ve passed that point and experience a change that makes them need to reconsider (full support for adoption costs + care in the event of death of a spouse being one example, loss of a job in the face of child with a genetic/birth abnormality, etc).

I’d guess that a lot of pro-choice folks feel the same way. Much like a lot of anti-choice folks would want some exclusions of their own.

What’s your opinion on my question? Do you believe that the government should compel you to surrender your body to another individual, to use it as they please against your will?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

What’s your opinion on my question? Do you believe that the government should compel you to surrender your body to another individual, to use it as they please against your will?
Isn't that what the draft is for men?

I'm not convinced that the sin is about preserving life. I believe premarital sex is an abuse of our procreative powers that God has given us. This is why it's a sin only second in severity to murder. In my view premarital sex should be illegal. Parents should have to prove their ability to earn a living and provide for a child before they're allowed to make babies.