Mississippi Governor says he will force children and incest victims to give birth

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
K Graham
God

Mississippi Governor says he will force children and incest victims to give birth

Post by K Graham »

This is how deplorable we've become as a country thanks to years of idiotic religious indoctrination on the Right.

Pressed On Abortion Ban For Incest Victims, Mississippi Gov. Says There Aren't Many

“You’re dealing in examples that are rare,” said Republican Gov. Tate Reeves.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
canpakes
God

Re: Mississippi Governor says he will force children and incest victims to give birth

Post by canpakes »

That’s a strange reaction from the folks who seem unusually concerned over the much rarer occurrence of trans athletes.
ajax18
God

Re: Mississippi Governor says he will force children and incest victims to give birth

Post by ajax18 »

Then don't live in Mississippi.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:26 am
Does this apply to you when you complain about America?
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

ajax18 wrote:
Move to China if you want to live in tyranny.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

What you're doing with this focus on rape and incest (which accounts for about 1% of all abortions) is focusing on an edge case. The vast majority of abortions are just about inconveniencing the mother because she either changes her mind about starting a family or just failed to use widely available birth control. But if you were to really argue that you want no restrictions on sucking little child out of his mother's womb with a vacuum cleaner, dismembering it, and flushing it down the sink at any time up until the baby takes his first breath of air, the world would see just how immoral that is. And yet the supreme court isn't even asking for this. We're asking to take the issue back to our states and local communities where the issue belongs and where people agree more on religious and ethical issues.

Abortion isn't going to be a winning issue for Democrats. But then again, I'm not sure talking up how Bidenflation, gas prices, and Democrat Covid restrictions have blessed the economy is going to win them any more voters either. I guess you don't really need American voters when you can either import them from Latin America or just stuff the ballot boxes.
Last edited by ajax18 on Wed May 11, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Morley wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:55 am
ajax18 wrote:
Does this apply to you when you complain about America?
I'm a not an American. I'm a West Virginian.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:25 pm
I'm a not an American. I'm a West Virginian.
I assume that ajax18 had to recite the Pledge of Allegiance when he was at school? You know:

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all".

That really does not seem to leave much room for his statement above, since the Pledge makes it plain that the allegiance is not to some part of the United States, but to the indivisible whole of it. Or perhaps he has walked back his pledge since those naïve days of youth? What has he suggested his kids should do at school, I wonder?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:23 pm
What you're doing [...] is focusing on an edge case. [...] if you were to really argue that you want no restrictions on sucking little child out of his mother's womb with a vacuum cleaner, dismembering it, and flushing it down the sink at any time up until the baby takes his first breath of air, the world would see just how immoral that is.
I can't off-hand think of anything much more like an edge case than your imaginary person who advocates a legal right to demand removal of a foetus from the womb and its dismemberment immediately before the instant when it would otherwise be born at full term.

The US is a big country. No doubt you can find some crazies somewhere who explicitly advocate this as a right any woman should be able to invoke, but I doubt that the percentage of people holding such a view among those who are in favour of maintaining Roe v. Wade will be as great as the 1% of pregnancies that you claim are the result of rape or incest (or both). And abortions in the third trimester, let alone at the last minute, are extremely rare.

Abortion In The Third Trimester
However polarizing third-trimester abortions might be as a political issue, as a medical procedure, they are relatively rare. According to the Guttmacher Institute, which supports abortion rights, a little more than 1 percent occur sometime after 21 weeks, which is still well within the second trimester.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:23 pm
What you're doing with this focus on rape and incest (which accounts for about 1% of all abortions) is focusing on an edge case.
And what you're doing is intentionally ignoring it. Even 1% still means thousands of American citizens will be held down by the State and forced to give birth. You're good with that because all your bluster about freedom, liberty and rights is a charade.
The vast majority of abortions are just about inconveniencing the mother because she either changes her mind about starting a family or just failed to use widely available birth control.
Actually that's not true at all, you're just making this up to justify your religious bigotry. The vast majority of abortions, something like 80% of them, happen "naturally" because most women have natural miscarriages before they even realize they got pregnant. If a floating zygote is truly a "child" then God is overseeing the holocaust of the unborn.
But if you were to really argue that you want no restrictions on sucking little child out of his mother's womb with a vacuum cleaner, dismembering it, and flushing it down the sink at any time up until the baby takes his first breath of air, the world would see just how immoral that is. And yet the supreme court isn't even asking for this.
Oh so now it is ok to focus on something that happens only 3% of the time? And most of the time this has nothing to do with choice of convenience, but rather complications from the pregnancy that threaten the life of the mother.
We're asking to take the issue back to our states and local communities where the issue belongs and where people agree more on religious and ethical issues.
That is anti-Constitutional, as there is a separation from Church and State. Your position is nothing more than a religious one, based on idiotic reasoning and a flat out rejection of science.
Abortion isn't going to be a winning issue for Democrats.
In the long run it will be. Republicans will enforce their theocratic measures across their uneducated Red States and eventually that will create a revolution and some day people will wonder how anyone every voted Republican in the first place.

But then again, I'm not sure talking up how Bidenflation, gas prices, and Democrat Covid restrictions have blessed the economy is going to win them any more voters either.
Still stuck on those idiotic talking points that have been debunked by evidence huh?

by the way, thanks for the new signature.