MTG's Blatantly Un-Christian Policy

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

MTG's Blatantly Un-Christian Policy

Post by Gunnar »

Marjorie Taylor Greene's glib anti-immigrant theology is about as un-Christian as it is possible to be.
And I remember this from the Gospel of Matthew:

Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?" The King will reply, "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

Listen: There's nothing more tedious than a non-Christian citing Biblical chapter and verse to Christians, but Greene cited the "teachings of Christ" and these (if you're a believer) are the teachings of Christ. It's not clear what other actual teachings she's referring to other than her own intense feelings about the Constitution and immigration. That's not the same thing.

This would be little more than a minor theological debate if not for the fact Christianity ostensibly guides one of our major political parties. So it matters. Greene is not the first or last person to filter their religion through the prism of their own personal and political preferences. I'm probably doing it right here. But Greene's comments have all the hallmarks of a glib Biblical illiteracy that she brandishes as a cudgel against "the least of these." We'd all be better off if Christian nationalism was actually more Christian.
I couldn't agree more with that article and numerous other articles that point out the same hypocrisy of MTG. By any reasonable reading of the New Testament's accounts of Jesus Christ, He was certainly not an advocate of the wealthy and powerful, as MTG seems to be. She is one of the most willfully ignorant individuals I have ever heard of, and she is obviously very proud of that, and regards that as a virtue! She neither knows or cares much about either science or the religion she claims to believe in and advocate for.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: MTG's Blatantly Un-Christian Policy

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Why does the Representative from Georgia’s Congressional district 14 seem to have gotten your goat? There are so many GQP’ers to pick on any given day (AZ Rep. Gosar, anyone?). I’m just curious what it is about her that you find, I dunno, particularly dangerous where her influence outsizes her duties?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:10 pm
Why does the Representative from Georgia’s Congressional district 14 seem to have gotten your goat? There are so many GQP’ers to pick on any given day (AZ Rep. Gosar, anyone?). I’m just curious what it is about her that you find, I dunno, particularly dangerous where her influence outsizes her duties?

- Doc
I agree that there are other "GOP'ers" just as bad or even worse than MTG, most of whom have already been discussed and justly excoriated on this forum. It was just that I had just encountered the article I linked to, and it retriggered my indignation and disgust over her in particular and what she claims to stand for and felt moved to comment on it.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Representative Greene's theory about Jewish space lasers starting the forest fires in California was able to set her apart from the less creative craziness of her GOP colleagues. However, it is true that there is so much wrongheadedness to choose from in the Party and Greene is but a backwater sample.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Did you she made this:

her literal Twitter profile pic for a bit?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.