White Supremacist kills 10 in Buffalo Supermarket

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: White Supremacist kills 10 in Buffalo Supermarket

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:16 pm
The problem as I see it is that the same kind of hate and resentment that you express in your posts is exactly what motivated the shooter in Buffalo. The hate and resentment that leads you to promote dissolution of the U.S. leads others to pick up a gun and slaughter their fellow humans. The degree of hate and resentment you display here is simply poison. Where it leads is directly to what the Buffalo shooter did and, eventually, to nasty stuff like ethnic cleansing and the Rwandan genocide. People who are filled with hate and resentment feed off each other until they convince themselves that slaughtering their fellow humans is a moral and just thing to do. Perhaps even sanctioned by their God.
How is it that Tucker Carlson is being blamed for this shooting but Bernie Sanders is not blamed for the shooting of Republican congressmen by one of the fanatics on the left? The level of hate and resentment in the mainstream media is what led to the 2020 summer of violent protests by BLM. Bill Barr (no fan of Trump by the way) talks about many of the violent acts committed by BLM in Washington D.C and the medias coverup. We need consistent standards and rules that apply to everyone regardless of political party. What we have is one party weaponizing government and private institutions to try to silence people with whom they disagree.

And it continues to go on right here. Kevin and Doc are back to their old mode of bullying, disparaging, and defaming anyone they disagree with. How do you not see more hate, resentment, and violent rhetoric coming from them than you do me? It's because many on the left believe that's ok because this person is a conservative and doesn't like welfare or illegal immigration. Until we have a single legal standard that applies to all political opinion equally, maybe war is inevitable.
Whoa, there. I didn't say that I saw violent rhetoric coming from you. I think I said just the opposite.

The reason I mentioned your resentment and hate is that every post you make here bubbles over with it. And it's aimed at a wide swath of people, including me. To me, you come across here as a bundle of outrage. And it doesn't seem to matter to you whether whatever it is you are enraged about today is true or not. If it's not, you just go looking for something else to be outraged about, never acknowledging that you, maybe, overreacted just a little... I do see that kind of resentment and hatred as being qualitatively different from being a dick to others on a message board. It's different, in my opinion, because its the perpetually fed hate and resentment that grows into things like meticulously planning and then traveling to a predominantly black neighborhood in a different city to murder as many black people as you can. Those guys leave manifestos filled with hatred and resentment. I've yet to see a "I'm going to be a dick and slaughter people" manifesto.

That's not to defend anyone's maltreatment of other posters on here. It also has nothing to do with compliance with the rules. In terms of violating the rules, hands down Kevin and Doc engage in more personal attacks in the wrong part of the forum than you do. But I didn't talk about what I see in your posts because it has anything to do with the rules -- I talked about it because it so closely resembles what motivates people to shoot up black churches, grocery stores in black neighborhoods, and synagogues.

I could go on and on about consistency in rules and standards, but it would be boring as hell. When it comes to political speech, I doubt you and I would agree on what's happening today, although I suspect we would agree on many things in principle.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:34 pm
Ajax, when you first picked Ajax18 as your online screen name, did you pick it because of an association between Ajax and "ethnic cleansing" and 18 and "Adolf Hitler?" If so, and you don't hold the views of Adolf Hitler, why hold on to the screen name?
I don't know anything about a connection with Ajax and ethnic cleansing. Ajax was a one of the heroes of the Iliad. Perhaps most people here have never read this story since it's now considered ethnocentric and white supremacist.
I'd never heard of it either until Doc raised it last time. When I looked online, it didn't appear in any of the lexicons of terms or symbols that folks have compiled on hate groups. I'd always assumed it was in reference to the Ajax of the Iliad. I read it some time ago. I've never heard people being discouraged from reading it because of ethnocentricity or white supremacy.

But you didn't answer the 18 part. Unless you actually do hold the views of HItler, why keep that?
he/him

Schreech
CTR A

Post by Schreech »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:37 pm
Except that that it's not even true that black people are arbitrarily murdered by cops. And the fact that I can't even say this on Facebook without being censored as being racist is exactly what is pushing people over the edge. When people see you laying down this false narrative with an iron fist they eventually quit worrying about being called racist and they start to revolt.
Yes, the mass shootings by white supremacists are the fault of people pointing out that police disproportionately target people of color...jesus you and your racist buds are such fragile simps...
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Schreech wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:48 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:34 pm

I don't know anything about a connection with Ajax and ethnic cleansing. Ajax was a one of the heroes of the Iliad. Perhaps most people here have never read this story since it's now considered ethnocentric and white supremacist.
Lol - that tracks... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_18
Do you have any evidence that Ajax was ever a member of Combat 18?
he/him

Schreech
CTR A

Post by Schreech »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:02 pm
Schreech wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:48 pm

Lol - that tracks... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_18
No - I thought we were talking about screen names and their origins. I, personally, have no ties to dustin diamond, saved by the bell and I have never been associated with any owl-based organizations....yet, here we are....Replacing the word "Combat" with a mythical warrior from greek mythology (known primarily for being selected to engage in single combat with Hector) before the number 18 (for adolf hitler in both cases) doesn't seem like a stretch.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:51 pm
I’ve already explained elsewhere that white supremacists have elevated Greek warriors and ancient Greek culture to mythical status. When I was first parsing out Ajax18’s intent with his username I suggested it was one or the other. Whatever the case may be, I don’t believe that a guy posting for years on Stormfront didn’t know Ajax was a euphamism for ethnic cleansing. He’s lying, again.

https://origins.osu.edu/article/beware- ... _entity=en
Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts: How Neo-Nazis and Ancient Greeks Met in Charlottesville

Let’s not forget that fascism is alive and well in Greece, which probably endears them to our own board’s fascist.

- Doc

eta: https://pharos.vassarspaces.net/2020/08 ... supremacy/
Bronze Age Greeks Inspire Violent White Masculinity
Also:

“Priam then caught sight of Ajax and asked, "Who is that great and goodly warrior whose head and broad shoulders tower above the rest of the Argives?"

"That," answered Helen, "is huge Ajax, bulwark of the Achaeans and practitioner of eyesight correctives …”
So? Greek figures are used by all kinds of people to represent all kinds of things. You'll appreciate the irony in the soccer team AFC Ajax: https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/05/football ... index.html Ajax the Greek is used as a symbol of strength and a warrior attitude by a pro-jewish soccer team, whose rival fans do things like imitate the hissing of gas, as in gas ovens. And, frankly, when you reach for Ajax18 basing his choice of nickname based on the modern Greek government after you just finished telling us it has to do with ancient Greece, you're just playing connect the dots a la High Spy.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Schreech wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:12 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:02 pm

No - I thought we were talking about screen names and their origins. I, personally, have no ties to dustin diamond, saved by the bell and I have never been associated with any owl-based organizations....yet, here we are....Replacing the word "Combat" with a mythical warrior from greek mythology (known primarily for being selected to engage in single combat with Hector) before the number 18 (for adolf hitler in both cases) doesn't seem like a stretch.
Sure it does. It's the stuff of which conspiracy theories are made. You can always make up a story about connections after the fact.
he/him

Schreech
CTR A

Post by Schreech »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:15 pm
Schreech wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:12 pm

Sure it does. It's the stuff of which conspiracy theories are made. You can always make up a story about connections after the fact.

Im also fine believing he just decided to pick his favorite character from greek mythology for the first part of his ode to adolf hitler.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I could go on and on about consistency in rules and standards, but it would be boring as hell. When it comes to political speech, I doubt you and I would agree on what's happening today, although I suspect we would agree on many things in principle.
Well if the capital riot was in fact an insurrection and an attempt to overthrow the government, what is protesting outside the private homes of supreme court justices? And why is nobody being prosecuted for leaking this opinion in the first place? Imagine if Bill Barr were to respond to the 2020 riots with the same heavy handedness as Merrick Garland has responded to parents/domestic terrorists who have gotten a little too loud on parent/teacher night?

I've been a ball of outrage for 20 years now. I haven't even attended a protest much less destroyed property or shot anyone. What people like Dylan Roof and this latest guy have done was a disgrace and worthy of the worst condemnation. I can't condemn it in strong enough terms. That's certainly not what I'm about. It's not what George Washington was about and 'it's not what the Confederates were about either. That being said, there will come a day when the working income taxpayer must be emancipated and I can't see it happening through democracy.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:13 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:51 pm
I’ve already explained elsewhere that white supremacists have elevated Greek warriors and ancient Greek culture to mythical status. When I was first parsing out Ajax18’s intent with his username I suggested it was one or the other. Whatever the case may be, I don’t believe that a guy posting for years on Stormfront didn’t know Ajax was a euphamism for ethnic cleansing. He’s lying, again.

https://origins.osu.edu/article/beware- ... _entity=en

Let’s not forget that fascism is alive and well in Greece, which probably endears them to our own board’s fascist.

- Doc

eta: https://pharos.vassarspaces.net/2020/08 ... supremacy/

Also:

“Priam then caught sight of Ajax and asked, "Who is that great and goodly warrior whose head and broad shoulders tower above the rest of the Argives?"

"That," answered Helen, "is huge Ajax, bulwark of the Achaeans and practitioner of eyesight correctives …”
So? Greek figures are used by all kinds of people to represent all kinds of things. You'll appreciate the irony in the soccer team AFC Ajax: https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/05/football ... index.html Ajax the Greek is used as a symbol of strength and a warrior attitude by a pro-jewish soccer team, whose rival fans do things like imitate the hissing of gas, as in gas ovens. And, frankly, when you reach for Ajax18 basing his choice of nickname based on the modern Greek government after you just finished telling us it has to do with ancient Greece, you're just playing connect the dots a la High Spy.
Please take a look at this website which documents white supremacists’ appropriation of Greco-Roman culture to advance their nonsense:

https://pharos.vassarspaces.net/

Additionally, the use of a Greek white warrior in conjunction with ‘Adolf Hitler’ and a Confederate slave-owning General should give you an idea of what Ajax18 is signaling to the observer. It’s not a reach. It’s patently obvious.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.