Cigars and Such

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Cigars and Such

Post by honorentheos »

Doc Cam posted a pic in a reply in the netherforum that includes an Oliva ash tray/cigar holder. I occasionally smoke cigars, though I'd put the number I've smoked in the last year at less than 10, so less than one a month. This is in part due to the Phoenix weather making being outdoors unpleasant for half the year and in part being so busy I don't spend as much time relaxing as I perhaps should. Cigars are a luxury of time for me. I've stopped buying them to fill a humidor and instead pick one up from my preferred shop when I plan on smoking one.

I've sampled from the Oliva series and find them ok but have not really explored far. I believe what I've tried include the Series O and V, but I don't recall the size. I normally choose a robusto when sampling since they tend to be a decent mix of wrapper and filler, then explore other sizes if the robusto is promising. My two favorite cigars from back when I would smoke one more regularly are both off market now. One being the Kristoff Galerones DR4, and the other the MX2 by CAO. Four years back I had filled up on a few Gurka Centurions through an online outlet that were tasty but suffered from construction issues. If they had been able to hold together through a burn they would be my favorites.

For Cam and anyone else, what are your recommendations for a cigar that is more than a daily smoke?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Cigars and Such

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

So, I know you asked for the fancy cigar recommendation, but really quick I’ll plug the Factory Smokes by Drew Estate. You can get them for $3 or $4 a stick, and they’re an excellent budget-friendly smoke. Typically, especially with the robusto maduro cigar I get a great draw, even burn, and a milky plume. The scent is a musky and pleasant experience that doesn’t stick to you as an acrid after smell. I also enjoy the sweets for the complimentary taste when taken with a coffee, or red wine. If you’re a liquor guy, a Scotch or whiskey (I liked Wild Turkey - American Honey to pair). I don’t drink alcohol any more, so I suggest do what your palate demands.

“Fancy” cigars, well, I kind of moved off them years ago because they’re so hit and miss - my main gripe is how tightly they’re wrapped. Sometimes a hard draw is especially disappointing when you pay $20 for a cigar. That said, Dominican tobacco is hands down my favorite. One of the best cigars I ever had was a Santa Damiana it came in an aluminum tube, but that’s all I can remember. Whatever the case may be I’d suggest probing the Dominican selection first; I believe Castro shared Cuban tobacco seeds with nearby countries, and whatever is going on with the D.R.’s soil it produces great tobacco. Nicaraguan cigars are a good safety choice if your selection is slim.

Other than I’d suggest a fat Rocky Patel maduro robusto. I had one, man I can’t remember the name, I think they just called it a fifty or something, but it was an enjoyable plume-y smoke. It felt like you could luxuriate in the smoke. I had that one at a cigar lounge in DC, and it’s a great memory.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Thanks for the recommendations. I like a few Rocky Patels. His Decade is one I pick up now, varying the size based on how much time I have to smoke it. I had a few Royal Vintage a few years back I picked up that were very, very good.

Drew Estates has two of my favorites. I really like the Latte Toro, enough so I bought a box a few years back and they were my Sunday morning cigar for the year. The other is a blend they did for Cigars International which had a sweet taste to it. Excellent cigar with coffee as well. So, you may have sold me on Factory Smokes.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 3:01 am
Thanks for the recommendations. I like a few Rocky Patels. His Decade is one I pick up now, varying the size based on how much time I have to smoke it. I had a few Royal Vintage a few years back I picked up that were very, very good.

Drew Estates has two of my favorites. I really like the Latte Toro, enough so I bought a box a few years back and they were my Sunday morning cigar for the year. The other is a blend they did for Cigars International which had a sweet taste to it. Excellent cigar with coffee as well. So, you may have sold me on Factory Smokes.
I’m a huge fan of DE boxed press cigars, and in fact the coffee-flavored DE cigars is what moved me off wine to coffee. A morning coffee and a good-cheap cigar is very pleasurable. It feels meditative to me.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.