Flotation-REST

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Flotation-REST

Post by Xenophon »

Some recent discussions on out of body experiences and ways to induce them got me thinking that I should probably share part of my standard self-care routine for any that might be interested. Please note that I am not claiming any measurable health benefits here and I'm aware there isn't a ton of research to fall back on. I am merely offering up my own experience as I thought it might be intriguing. That said I find my floats to be an excellent tool for helping me de-stress and relax.

In the summer of 2020 my wife surprised me with with a gift card to a local spa that offers floats in an isolation tank. They come in a lot of shapes and sizes, from spaceship looking pods to large open pools, but the general concept is the same. You put about a foot of water in them and then add a metric butt-load of Epsom salt to the point where the human body can float effortlessly, you literally can't sink even if you wanted to. I can't speak to all setups but the one I go to has the open pools or pods in separate rooms that have showers. You can float in swimwear or nude but you do have to shower everything off both pre and post float. The tanks are heavily filtered between each float and at least for my location the cleanliness is impeccable. The water is maintained around 98-99 degrees, so very well suited for keeping body temp regular. My place also has noodles and head rests if you're uncomfortable with fully floating without supports (I found the head rest helpful for easing into my first float but since use nothing). There are lights in the tanks if pitch blackness is too overwhelming and also some very light music of the binaural beats variety is available that is well timed to ease you down and bring you back if the silence is too deafening. My place offers times for 30, 60, or 90 minute floats and I opt typically for the 60 minute as my body seems to ease down and back up well within that window, my wife prefers 90.

I was instantly hooked and we now go once a month. The effortless floating was relaxing in a way that I'm not sure I get in any other way. Every muscle in my body is able to unclench and melt into the water. The pods are well designed for blocking out light and sound (although neither is really a problem in the open pools either) and there is an eerie stillness in a world so void of external stimulation. I'm forced into my mindfulness practices, having time both to do a system check from the tips of my toes to the ends of my hair and also run through mental exercises to try to get at the thoughts in my brain that are stressing and weighing me down. I've done plenty of mindfulness work prior but for me I realized afterwards that external stimulus was always interfering and occasionally it was nice to not have to "fight" that as well and just focus on myself.

I help myself in my practice by setting intentions before each float. Sometimes it is just about the physical relaxation, others it is about a work problem I'm sorting through, or personal issues that I need to wrap my brain around. Immediately after the float I spend a little time writing down my thoughts, impressions, and feelings. Even with my intention setting, sometimes things go in ways unexpected. Sometimes my body is clearly just exhausted, I fall asleep almost instantly and wake up to the chime telling me it is time to go, I rarely dream during these times and wake up feeling quite recharged which isn't too surprising after an hour long deep relaxation nap. Others I'm clearly awake the entire time and spend it running down thoughts, examining what I can control, sorting through my dilemmas. Others are more hallucinatory in nature, feeling far too real to be dreams but often analogous to my intentions for things I feel I need to address. Those types of floats are where it isn't uncommon for me to feel as if I'm detached from my body. They can feel like work during the moment or when I'm talking about them but it doesn't stop them from being physically very relaxing and excellent for my mental state.

Where we go even has tanks large enough for you to float as a couple which I'd describe as "deeply intimate but not sexual". You can feel rather raw and exposed during a float (between the nakedness, the dark, the silence, and being so alone with your thoughts it is to be expected) and that is a very different experience to share with someone. It can also change the nature of the float some in that there is a sense of grounding when you touch and are reminded you aren't so alone after all. I'd say there is some nice analogy to draw from that experience, in that there is at least one person with whom you can share it all. If I was still Mormon I might find some nice parallels between eternal marriage and a nice manifestation of that bond in this world, instead I just get to enjoy it as it is.

All that to say, here is this experience that has brought me a lot of growth and joy and relaxation. I'd be interested to know if any others have used an isolation tank and what your experience has been. I'd also be interested to know if you have your own ritual or practice that you think aligns with how I'm using the floats. I'm also open to any questions about the process, especially if you are interested in trying it.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Moksha
God

Re: Flotation-REST

Post by Moksha »

When I was in college in Los Angeles years ago, they had some flotation tanks at a building down on Wilshire they used for psychology experiments in the 60s. The experiments were over when I was there, but the enterprising psychologists eager to make a buck would rent them by the hour. All those Epsom salts did not go to waste. Great vivid dreams in those tanks.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

Moksha wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:54 pm
When I was in college in Los Angeles years ago, they had some flotation tanks at a building down on Wilshire they used for psychology experiments in the 60s. The experiments were over when I was there, but the enterprising psychologists eager to make a buck would rent them by the hour. All those Epsom salts did not go to waste. Great vivid dreams in those tanks.
Thanks for sharing that, Moksha. I'm curious, did the tanks sound similar to what I described (or what was pictured) with the temperature regulation, lights, music, etc. or were what the school was using simpler in design? Have you tried it again since those college days?

I can agree entirely about the vivid dreams, although like I stated for me it is often even a step beyond. I'm not typically much of a dreamer, at least not in a visual sense. No amount of practice or mind altering substances ever seemed to impact that. I do dream but everything is very vague and I wake up with more impressions of what happened and the emotions I felt, nothing really approaching a visual medium for me. In the tank though they are vivid and real enough as to throw me off at times. Part of the journalling afterwards was to document some of that and help me sort them from memories.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I'd like to try out isolation tanks. Although Tanis has me a little nervous...
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 7:00 pm
Don't think I get that reference Res, and google didn't help. If it is a question of fears around things like drowning or claustrophobia there are some pretty good work arounds for that. One of the reason they offer options in the open float pools is because some folks use it as part of their trauma therapy but obviously being inclosed in a coffin looking thing with water might be overwhelming. The open pools allow for a lot of the relaxation benefits while avoiding some of the possible triggers.
He/Him

― Xenophon
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Xenophon wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:30 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 7:00 pm
Don't think I get that reference Res, and google didn't help. If it is a question of fears around things like drowning or claustrophobia there are some pretty good work arounds for that. One of the reason they offer options in the open float pools is because some folks use it as part of their trauma therapy but obviously being inclosed in a coffin looking thing with water might be overwhelming. The open pools allow for a lot of the relaxation benefits while avoiding some of the possible triggers.
Sorry, it's one of the weirder podcasts I listen to. One season involves spooky stuff and isolation tanks.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Xenophon, the sensory deprivation tank I remember looked much more old school. I searched Google images and could not find any similar to the one I experienced. No space-age charm to it at all. That one from your link looked really cool. I am glad they brought them back because it was such a unique and pleasant experience.

How was the issue of sound elimination handled?
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

Moksha wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:21 am
Xenophon, the sensory deprivation tank I remember looked much more old school. I searched Google images and could not find any similar to the one I experienced. No space-age charm to it at all. That one from your link looked really cool. I am glad they brought them back because it was such a unique and pleasant experience.

How was the issue of sound elimination handled?
Sound is muted in a few ways. First, you wear earplugs that they provide. This has two purposes, reducing sound and also keeping the water out of your ears when you float. The pod looking ones are also fairly sound resistant all on its own. They add some additional sound proofing to the room that it is in, mostly those foam panels on the walls. And they practice soft speaking/walking in the spa, it is a pretty big taboo to make a lot of noise in there lest you disturb others relaxation. Add to that the ability to have some soft tonal music pumped into the tank and all you'll typically be able to hear is your own body and the music if you choose to have it play.
He/Him

― Xenophon
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Xenophon wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:57 pm
...be able to hear is your own body ...
That's right! I remember gurgling sounds from my tummy.
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

Moksha wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:07 pm
That's right! I remember gurgling sounds from my tummy.
Lol, exactly. It is amazing the different pops and crackles and how aware of them you'll be in the scenario. It is one of the many reasons I like to do a head to toe body check when I'm in the water. Checking in with each part of me to see how I'm feeling and moving. Very helpful for establishing strong mind-body connection.
He/Him

― Xenophon