Huh. A former Company Commander of mine just won the Pennsylvania GOP’s nomination for Governor

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Huh. A former Company Commander of mine just won the Pennsylvania GOP’s nomination for Governor

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Waaaaaaay back in the day I was attending the US Army’s language school, and I had a Company Commander, CPT Doug Mastriano, a native New Jerseyan heading up our gaggle of language students. My memories of him included him proudly talking about New Jersey, taking our Company through the residential area of the Presidio on runs to wake up the sleepyheads, and showing us some sort of military-produced documentary of his Armor Regiment running roughshod over Iraqis in the first Gulf War (I think he wanted us to understand we could go to war at any moment, and being in Military Intelligence wouldn’t save our asses).

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-e ... -rcna29136
Far-right election denier Mastriano wins GOP race for governor in Pennsylvania

Mastriano, who promotes Trump's claims of a stolen 2020 election, will face state Attorney General Josh Shapiro, who ran unopposed for the Democratic nomination.
From wiki:
A close ally of former President Donald Trump, Mastriano received national attention for his efforts to overturn the 2020 United States presidential election. Mastriano was present at the Washington D.C. rally on January 6, 2021, where a mob attacked the United States Capitol. Mastriano did not enter the Capitol, but did pass through breached barriers set up by the Capitol Police. On February 22, 2022, Mastriano was subpoenaed by the United States House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack.
Apparently, after hot-googling him a bit, COL (R) Mastriano is very, very far-Right. I don’t really know anything about PA politics, but it’ll be interesting to see if he’s able to pull off a win against his Dem opponent. Will being present at the insurrection ultimately help or hurt him? Will being a Trump loyalist get him elected? We’ll see. When I was hiking through PA in 2018, the rural areas were covered in Trump flags, so I suppose there’s a good chance he succeeds.

Look at you CPT Mastriano. Who woulda thunk it?

- Doc

eta: I don’t have Facebook any more, but I think this is a link to his Facebook political page:

https://m.Facebook.com/Fight4pa?__tn__=%2Cg
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Re: Huh. A former Company Commander of mine just won the PA GOP’s nomination for Gov

Post by ajax18 »

I love primaries. I wish Col Rob Maness had beaten Bill Cassidy in the LA primaries.

Rumor is that the Democrats helped Mastriano win the primary. I'm glad they did. We need more like Col. Mastriano.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
High Spy
Regional Representative

Re: Huh. A former Company Commander of mine just won the PA GOP’s nomination for Gov

Post by High Spy »

Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh have been popping up everywhere lately, ever since I googled GPADA. :lol:
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Hopefully, a strong majority recognize what an awful candidate Mastriano is and what a dangerous threat he is to democracy. By the evidence I have seen, he is basically a dyed in the wool dominionist whose highest ambition is to turn the USA into a Christian Theocracy that violates the most revered and important freedoms guaranteed by our constitution.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 8:01 am
Hopefully, a strong majority recognize what an awful candidate Mastriano is and what a dangerous threat he is to democracy. By the evidence I have seen, he is basically a dyed in the wool dominionist whose highest ambition is to turn the USA into a Christian Theocracy that violates the most revered and important freedoms guaranteed by our constitution.
When your media portrays milque toast centrists like Romney the way they portrayed him in 2012 don't be surprised when candidates lijke DJT win pesidential and governors races.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Huh.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-p ... 13550.html
Mastriano’s vulnerabilities are legion, GOP operatives lament. [formatting tweaks are mine - Doc]

- The state senator and retired U.S. Army colonel has taken a hard line on abortion, which he has said should be illegal under all circumstances.

- He organized buses to Washington for the Jan. 6, 2021, rally in Washington and can be seen on video crossing police lines at the Capitol as the rally became a riot.

- He has also been a leading advocate of the baseless claims that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump.

- Mastriano has appeared at events linked to QAnon

- He also has made statements that veer into Islamophobia. [Bing Bong!]

- Listing his early priorities as governor, he said, “mandates are gone,” “any jab for job requirements are gone,” critical race theory is “over,” “only biological females can play on biological female teams” and “you can only use the bathroom that your biological anatomy says.”
Uh. I think he’s going to get elected. O.o

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:06 am
Huh.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-p ... 13550.html
Mastriano’s vulnerabilities are legion, GOP operatives lament. [formatting tweaks are mine - Doc]

- The state senator and retired U.S. Army colonel has taken a hard line on abortion, which he has said should be illegal under all circumstances.

- He organized buses to Washington for the Jan. 6, 2021, rally in Washington and can be seen on video crossing police lines at the Capitol as the rally became a riot.

- He has also been a leading advocate of the baseless claims that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump.

- Mastriano has appeared at events linked to QAnon

- He also has made statements that veer into Islamophobia. [Bing Bong!]

- Listing his early priorities as governor, he said, “mandates are gone,” “any jab for job requirements are gone,” critical race theory is “over,” “only biological females can play on biological female teams” and “you can only use the bathroom that your biological anatomy says.”
Uh. I think he’s going to get elected. O.o

- Doc
He's certainly hitting all the right notes.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:17 am
Waaaaaaay back in the day I was attending the US Army’s language school, and I had a Company Commander, CPT Doug Mastriano, a native New Jerseyan heading up our gaggle of language students.
Hey, Doc. It's such a small world. I just found out that my son-in-law knows him well. They taught at the Army War College together, the year Mastriano was there.

edit: And yes, it was Mastriano's Confederate uniform debacle that revealed this for me.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/doug-m ... -rcna49601

Welp. When I didn’t think my former CO could get any more nuttier:
In 2019, state Sen. Doug Mastriano sponsored legislation barring abortions at around six weeks. Asked if women who broke that law should be charged with murder, he said, "Yes."
This is the end game for reproductive rights if people don’t get serious about voting for Dems.

- Doc
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

A friend just sent me this. Mastriano's dissertation is under review.

I'd posit that this is not going to have a positive outcome for Mastriano, as there have been whispers among military historians, for some time now, that this needed to happen. In my experience with Canadian universities, for New Brunswick to be this open about their process, it's all but a done deal that some kind of action is going to be taken.

https://www.wesa.fm/politics-government ... l-research