Globle - Yet Another Geography Game

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Morley
God

Re: Globle - Yet Another Geography Game

Post by Morley »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:57 am
I got it on my fourth guess.
Bret Ripley wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:58 pm
Accidentally got it in 3.
honorentheos wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:10 pm
I took four but that seems to be a good day for me.

Nine. I seem to be going with the theory that higher numbers are better.

edit: As an excuse, however, I'll note that one of my early guesses was France. Unbeknownst to me, when the game gave the distance from France it measured from one of the French-administered overseas territories in the New World. I'll pay closer attention next time.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Morley wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:21 pm

edit: As an excuse, however, I'll note that one of my early guesses was France. Unbeknownst to me, when the game gave the distance from France it measured from one of the French-administered overseas territories in the New World. I'll pay closer attention next time.
That's good to know!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

They made a change to the game today that threw me off. I appreciate the new options to toggle between miles/kilometers as well as sort by order of guess. But I wish it had provided a heads up that it no longer would tell you if you were bordering the country directly.

It seems to now only tell you that the guess is less than 10 miles or 10 klicks away. That cost me a couple of guesses today as I tried to figure out which country wasn't touching my nearest guess but was practically a morning's stroll away.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Nine again.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:03 pm
They made a change to the game today that threw me off. I appreciate the new options to toggle between miles/kilometers as well as sort by order of guess. But I wish it had provided a heads up that it no longer would tell you if you were bordering the country directly.

It seems to now only tell you that the guess is less than 10 miles or 10 klicks away. That cost me a couple of guesses today as I tried to figure out which country wasn't touching my nearest guess but was practically a morning's stroll away.
I must be missing something, the only clue I get is a hot or cold color indication, the first country is a total random guess and I have to hope I'm close or just jump to the other side of the world. Where are these mileage and bordering indicators (I'm starting to understand why I might not like this one as much as Worldle).
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

:shock: That sounds terrible!

I get shown my guesses with the one that is closest first and a text line that states how close my guess is from the mystery country. Today it changed to saying I was <10 miles whereas before it would say 0 miles of I had picked a bordering country. Hot or cold? How do you even???!

Just to ask are you not seeing the full screen? The hot/cold on the globe is only part of the response.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

So, I changed browsers and I'm now seeing the text you speak of... no stinking wonder. My problem seemed to stem from using the mouse wheel to scroll on the page. All it did was zoom the map in and out, not show me the text below the image so I just assumed there wasn't any.

I'll provide today's sequence of guesses that got me there:

-Started with China but was pretty cold, experience tells me the color wasn't cold enough for it to be the Americas though
-Moved to France, much warmer
-Tried Portugal on a whim, was colder so I knew I had gone the wrong way
-Italy, red hot, knew it was close to Italy but not bordering France
-Tried Austria, still red hot but not quite right
-Racked my brain and pulled out Slovenia.

Notably today went much better as I was beginning to sort out the color meanings.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

You beat me by two. I guessed one of your red hot ones as my third guess, also red hot, but then tried to figure out what country wasn't bordering but also less than 10 miles away. I started wondering if there were disputed borders involved for a moment. Then I realized that it made no sense to say a place was less than 10 miles and also less than 10 km where the klicks weren't a higher number than the miles and got it right. Well, spelled it wrong, then spelled it right. So 7 official, 8 if it had counted the, "That is not a valid guess" in the total.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Number 9, Number 9 ..... Block that kick .... block that kick .... I wonder if the creator loved the beatles? My average is nine guesses. Did the creator make the game this way? Or is it like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon and the average will be 9 given how we start with no idea what country is the answer and the clues given once a guess is made?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:10 pm
Number 9, Number 9 ..... Block that kick .... block that kick .... I wonder if the creator loved the beatles? My average is nine guesses. Did the creator make the game this way? Or is it like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon and the average will be 9 given how we start with no idea what country is the answer and the clues given once a guess is made?
Lol, maybe there is a little Helter Skelter going on here and the app is low-key social engineering?

I've guessed it in four at least once maybe twice but only due to dumb luck on my first guess. I would have probably had five today if I hadn't decided being less than 10 miles away still meant it was a non-zero distance.

Most of the time I'm between 7 and 9. I've gone up to 13 but by then I've decided to also use a map.

There was also the time I got it in four because I guessed Sierra Leone as my way of seeing if it might be in Africa which happened to be the mystery country. I had Sierra Leone on the mind due to it being a Wordle answer not long before or I would never have got that one.