Babies are now racist

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Babies are now racist

Post by ajax18 »

A council in London previously claimed that babies as young as three months old are racially biased, a report has uncovered.

Islington Council in London has in the past published claims that babies as young as three months old can show racial bias, demanding that extremely young children should be talked to about the issue of “race”.

The post was recently uncovered by reporters at The Telegraph after the paper previously found that a number of councils across the United Kingdom had hired the services of a “Maoist” anti-whiteness organisation for the purpose of giving nursery staff racial awareness training.

According to a report published on Saturday, one of the councils to avail itself of the diversity training services provided by the so-called Black Nursery Manager consultancy also previously claimed that babies as young as three months old could be racially biased towards their own carers.

Appearing in a post originally uploaded by an account associated with the Islington Council in 2021, the claim appeared alongside another which said that “white children are strongly biased in favour of whiteness” by the time they turn five years old, as well as a link to material produced by the state-owned BBC on how to talk to toddlers about race.

“Fundamentally, many of the studies presented in support of these sorts of ideas about children and race simply conflate acceptance of one group with rejection of another,” Adrian Hart from parental campaign group Don’t Divide Us told The Telegraph regarding claims similar to those made by Islington Council.

“Children’s choices in relation to things like doll or toy preference, in artificial experimental conditions offer no indication of whether the child takes account of race in everyday social interactions,” he continued. “Parents and educators and policy makers in local and central government alike cannot take claims like these at face value.”

The Telegraph‘s discovery comes shortly after the paper found that a significant number of local councils had hired an organisation pushing controversial Critical Race Theory-style ideas to train nursery staff in their regions.

Slammed as producing “very Maoist” material by one commentator, a number of MPs have since reportedly got in contact with the publication to say that the kind of training provided by the organisation must now be investigated as “the most poisonous and divisive kind of dogma”.

“Children need to form their own views at the same time as they learn to respect those of others,” Education Secretary Nadhim Zahawi previously stated regarding the topic of ideological influence within the British school system.

“That is why parents and carers need to be able to trust schools to be totally impartial,” he continued. “They need to be confident that their children can learn about political issues and begin to form their own independent opinions, without being influenced by the personal views of those teaching them.”

“No school should be encouraging young people to pin their colours to a particular political mast,” he added.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2022/0 ... ed-report/
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Babies are now racist

Post by doubtingthomas »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:05 am
A council in London previously claimed that babies as young as three months old are racially biased, a report has uncovered.

Of course! You didn't know?

White Baby with a gun: "And I'm proud to be an American. Where at least I know I'm free"

Black Baby: "I thought I told y'all n..as before Y'all n..as can't f with me!"- Mystikal

Mexican Baby: Pinche greengos!
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

This is actually not a new thing. And I’d expect that newborns of several months would show a preference towards what appears to be most similar to their own perceived caregivers/parents.

There is mounting evidence in support of the proposal that the face processing system is shaped by the faces seen in the visual environment (de Schonen & Mathivet, 1989; Morton & Johnson, 1991; Nelson, 2001). Experiential effects on face processing have thus far been reported for the attributes of gender, race and species. With respect to gender, at 3 months of age, infants raised primarily by a female caregiver demonstrate a preference for female faces over male faces and are better able to discriminate among female faces than among male faces. Conversely, infants raised primarily by a male caregiver demonstrate a preference for male faces over female faces (Quinn, Yahr, Kuhn, Slater & Pascalis, 2002).

For the attribute of race, Sangrigoli and de Schonen (2004) have recently demonstrated that at 3 months of age Caucasian infants are able to discriminate between own-race faces, but not other-race faces. This discrimination bias may represent an early manifestation of a similar deficit seen in adults, which is typically called the other-race effect (ORE; Meissner & Brigham, 2001). However, the effect present in infants appears to have greater plasticity than the effect reported in adults. In a follow-up experiment from Sangrigoli and de Schonen (2004), when infants were familiarized with three individual faces, as opposed to one in the first experiment, they were able to demonstrate recognition with both own and other-race faces. This latter result suggests that with only limited experiences with faces from another race, abilities to discriminate within own- and other-race face categories can be rendered equivalent.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... po=1.51515
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

canpakes wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:27 am
This is actually not a new thing. And I’d expect that newborns of several months would show a preference towards what appears to be most similar to their own perceived caregivers/parents.
But uncle ajax18 believes babies are pure with the light of Jesus.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

More, this time with Asian infants:
The current study investigated the face gender preferences of Asian infants presented with male versus female face pairs from Asian and Caucasian races at 3, 6, and 9 months and the role of caregiving arrangements in eliciting those preferences. The results showed an own-race female face preference in 3- and 6-month-olds, but not in 9-month-olds. Moreover, the downturn in the female face preference correlated with the cumulative male face experience obtained in caregiving practices. In contrast, no gender preference or correlation between gender preference and face experience was found for other-race Caucasian faces at any age. The data indicate that the face gender preference is not specifically rooted in Western cultural caregiving practices. In addition, the race dependency of the effect previously observed for Caucasian infants reared by Caucasian caregivers looking at Caucasian but not Asian faces extends to Asian infants reared by Asian caregivers looking at Asian but not Caucasian faces. The findings also provide additional support for an experiential basis for the gender preference, and in particular suggest that cumulative male face experience plays a role in inducing a downturn in the preference in older infants.
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00593/full
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Here’s a quick read from Time Magazine about this, from nearly a decade ago -
You always suspected babies were no good, didn’t you? They’re loud, narcissistic, spoiled, volatile and not exactly possessed of good table manners. Now it turns out that they’re racists too.

The latest evidence for that decidedly unlovely trait comes from research out of the University of Washington that actually sought to explore one of babies’ more admirable characteristics: their basic sense of fairness. In the study, 15-month-old toddlers watched an experimenter with a collection of four small toys share them either evenly or unevenly with two other adult volunteers. When allowed to choose which experimenters the babies wanted to play with later, 70% of them preferred the ones who had divided the toys evenly.

Nice, but there was an exception: when the two adults who were receiving the evenly or unevenly divided toys were of different races and the race of the one who got more toys matched the babies’ own, the 70% preference for the fair distributor dropped and the share of babies wanting to play with the unfair one rose. The implication: unfairness is bad, unless someone from your clan is getting the extra goodies.

“If all babies care about is fairness, they would always pick the fair distributor,” said University of Washington associate professor psychology of Jessica Somerville, in a statement that accompanied the study. “But we’re also seeing that they’re interested in consequences for their own group members.”

OK, so that doesn’t speak well of human nature at even its sweetest and most ingenuous stage. But here’s the thing: if we weren’t rank racists when we were very little, the species probably never would have survived. The idea of in-group bias is well established in behavioral science, and it has its roots long ago, in humanity’s tribal era. The fact is, the people in your own band are more likely to nurture you, care for you and protect you from harm, while the people from the tribe over the hill are more likely to, well, eat you.

As soon as you become old enough to toddle away from the campfire and wander out on your own, it thus pays to recognize, at a glance, what an alien other looks like. Sometimes it’s dress or hairstyle that provides the telltale cue, but just as often it’s skin tone, hair texture and the shape of facial features. It was the human tendency to migrate and settle in parts of the world with varying climates that caused these physical differences to emerge in the first place.

“We didn’t start off as a multi-racial species,” psychologist Liz Phelps of New York University told me in my upcoming book about narcissism. “We have races simply because we dispersed.” Once we did disperse, however, those differences in appearance—skin tone especially—turbocharged our suspicion of the outsider.

A study by psychologist Yarrow Dunham, now at Yale University, showed that color is an especially salient feature for very young people to overlook. Children in a classroom experiment who were divided into two groups and given two different color t-shirts to wear were, later on, much likelier to remember good things about all of the children who wore their color shirt and bad things about the ones who wore the other. “Kids will begin to show these preferences right away, in the lab, on the spot,” Dunham told me. “It’s not just a preference, it’s also a learning bias—the children actually learn differentially about the in-group and the out-group.”

Sometimes, for small children, there can be a certain sweetness to the bias, since they may feel concern for the person of a different race, the assumption being that anyone who doesn’t look like them must be unhappy about that fact. When my older daughter was three or four years old, we approached an African American cashier in a store and she asked her, “Are you sad that you don’t have light skin?” I winced and began to splutter an apology, but the woman answered, “No, honey. Are you said that you don’t have dark skin?” When my daughter said no, the woman responded, “So you see? We’re both happy with who we are.”

The sweet phase of simply noticing racial differences fades, to be replaced either by a higher awareness of the meaningless of such matters or a toxic descent into assigning ugly, negative values to them. Which way any one baby goes depends on upbringing, community, era, temperament and a whole range of other variables. What we will never be, like it or not, is an entirely post-racial species. Our better impulses may wish that weren’t so, but our ancient impulses will always test us. They are tests we must, from babyhood, learn to pass
https://time.com/67092/baby-racists-sur ... /?amp=true
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:21 am
ajax18 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:05 am

Of course! You didn't know?

White Baby with a gun: "And I'm proud to be an American. Where at least I know I'm free"

Black Baby: "I thought I told y'all n..as before Y'all n..as can't f with me!"- Mystikal

Mexican Baby: Pinche greengos!
Finally.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I read this chapter from a book: https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr ... &q&f=false

The author criticized reliance of the attention holding studies as evidence of racial preference. She attributes racism as developmental rather than genetic. She also notes that babies who are exposed to a more diverse environment demonstrate less implicit bias later in life.

The research doesn’t look to me like it’s not very definite. I’d want to take a look at what is actually being represented by this organization and how credible it is. Sadly, scammers pop up everywhere.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Ajax,

How old were you when you first realized that your people were being driven off your lands?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:00 am
Ajax,

How old were you when you first realized that your people were being driven off your lands?
Or that your crib was under attack from those swarthy babies who came to take your rattle and demand that you pay for their pablum?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace