School Shooting in Uvalde Texas

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: School Shooting in Uvalde Texas

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:24 pm
Yay. We get to see one more time how damned useless the GOP is in keeping America safe. They don't like people, they just like the idea of people. That's why they won't protect children from being shot but a fetus is off limits.

Americans are politically retarded.
We're a nation in decline without the political machine necessary to maintain a stable society.

What I mean by that is everything is politicized to the point where any tragedy becomes a slippery slope scenario used to keep a political base polarized, and so our leaders just pick their side, throw up their hands and say "It's not us. It's the other side that's being unreasonable." and they have the majority of their electorate going along with them.

The personal political cost to address any a problems with a practical solution is too costly, and so it’s safer for their reputation if they just maintain the status quo. It's a lazy, cowardly governing style which begets degeneration.

And so every time a shooting happens the Left will say we need gun control and the Right will say we need morality enforcement (usually through Christian nationalism), and their voters will agree with those points and blame the other side until everyone gets tired of arguing and moves on. The simple fact is people with good career prospects, good healthcare, and a good connection to their community don't go on killing sprees, guns or no guns, religion or no religion. Many people in the US don't have any of those three things, and as a result you get more violent crime.

I could tick off a list of items I believe would be conducive to a good life, but it’s pointless to do so, and that’s the crux of the issue - the issue being the downward spiral this Republic finds itself in with no way out.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Watching Governor Abbot's press conference today, you learned that the problem of gun violence is the result of everything other than the problem of gun violence.

I felt like screaming at the Television.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:37 pm
Watching Governor Abbot's press conference today, you learned that the problem of gun violence is the result of everything other than the problem of gun violence.

You should take a look at the front page of The Onion right now.

https://www.theonion.com/

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

img_1_1653508277393.jpg
img_1_1653508277393.jpg (132.61 KiB) Viewed 605 times
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 5:46 am
MJT is on her knees under the streetlamp of mental illness.
If only there were a mirror, Rep. Green could easily see the mental illness.

This tragedy of these shootings is compounded by the realization that a solution will never be implemented.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:50 pm
MeDotOrg wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:37 pm

You should take a look at the front page of The Onion right now.

https://www.theonion.com/

- Doc
That's it in a nutshell.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

As it turned out, the situation at the Uvalde school shooting was even more disgusting than we ever thought, and so was the response to it. Ted Cruz's assessment of what happened there and his suggestion for a remedy for preventing like occurrences in the future was either totally disingenuous and/or ludicrously misinformed.

Lying Ted Cruz's DISGUSTING Response To The Uvalde Texas Mass Shooting
Slimy Texas Senator Ted Cruz’s response to the school shooting in Uvalde, Texas that left 19 students and two teachers dead was just as horrible as you would expect. Cruz called for public schools to employ armed police officers to deter potential shooters, even though there was an armed security officer present at the school, police engaged with the shooter before entering the school, and even stayed barricaded in a classroom for around an hour before the shooting concluded. Ana Kasparian discusses on
And Cruz's recommendation was:
"Ted Cruz proposes armed cops in elementary schools to deter school shootings"
There were armed cops already at or in the vicinity of the school before the gunman arrived, and they did practically nothing but call for backup, and then listened for an hour to the shooting going on, while waiting for the backup to arrive!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I can't even with these people.

Beto O'Rourke interrupts Gov. Abbott's news conference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvsM2FCneW8
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:32 am
[...]

Cruz's recommendation was:
"Ted Cruz proposes armed cops in elementary schools to deter school shootings"
There were armed cops already at or in the vicinity of the school before the gunman arrived, and they did practically nothing but call for backup, and then listened for an hour to the shooting going on, while waiting for the backup to arrive!
I heard a Texas congressman on the BBC radio 'Today' programme this morning, who gave us this line + the mental health stuff, plus told us that the shooter had a criminal record, and sometimes wore eyeshadow and dresses ...
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

284341949_5248230995231982_2447652687713728230_n.jpg
284341949_5248230995231982_2447652687713728230_n.jpg (158.31 KiB) Viewed 532 times
284228332_5232828210112369_2104452330036179727_n.jpg
284228332_5232828210112369_2104452330036179727_n.jpg (89.21 KiB) Viewed 532 times
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18