School Shooting in Uvalde Texas

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

School Shooting in Uvalde Texas

Post by Gunnar »

I'm sure no one here is unaware of the most recent elementary school shooting in Uvalde Texas. Any bets on how long it will take before idiots like Alex Jones try to claim, once again, that this was merely a false flag operation perpetrated by wicked Democrats and progressives to unfairly malign the NRA and gun owners in general, and any push for substantive and sensible gun restrictions and ownership and background checks?

Is anyone here surprised that this tragedy occurred in Texas, which has the most unrestrictive laws and standards on gun ownership, sales and safety?
Last edited by Gunnar on Wed May 25, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: School Shooting in Uvalde Texas

Post by Jersey Girl »

I don't think I can even discuss it, Gunnar. I'm nauseated by this event and the 200+ that have already preceded it this year.

It's only May.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gosar hitting it out of the park:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gunnar wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:32 am
Is anyone here surprised that this tragedy occurred in Texas, which has the most unrestrictive laws and standards on gun ownership, sales and safety?
No, but Congress won't do jack crap.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Nothing changed after Sandy Hook. The same people celebrating the "pro-life" decision the Supreme Court is about to hand down just shrug their shoulders at this and hope sensible people will forget it by the next mass killing. They'll also pretend to care about gun violence in Chicago. Small price to pay for their precious Second Amendment fantasy rebellion.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

In an old fable, a man walking down the street at night sees a man underneath a street lamp on his knees, staring at the ground intently.

"Did you lose something?" he asks the man.

"Yes, I've lost the key to my house", says the man on his knees.

Clearly the key is not on the ground where the man is looking. Puzzled, the standing man asks, "Did you lose it here?"

"No, I lost it in front of my house, but it's dark there, so this is a better place to look."

-=[*]=-

MJT is on her knees under the streetlamp of mental illness. It's safe to look there. Just remember: The problem is never gun violence. The problem is mental health or racism or taking God out of the schools. Gun violence is merely a manifestation of all these other problems. So all we have to do is eradicate all of society's ills and we won't have a problem with gun violence.

By the way, close to 90% of mass shooting are committed by right-handed people. Perhaps we should start looking at them...
Last edited by MeDotOrg on Wed May 25, 2022 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 5:46 am
In an old fable, a man walking down the street at night sees a man underneath a street lamp on his knees, staring at the ground intently.

"Did you lose something?" he asks the man.

"Yes, I've lost the key to my house", says the man on his knees.

Clearly the key is not on the ground where the man is looking. Puzzled, the standing man asks, "Did you lose it here?"

"No, I lost it in front of my house, but it's dark there, so this is a better place to look."

-=[*]=-

MJT is on her knees under the streetlamp of mental illness. It's safe to look there. Just remember: The problem is never gun violence. The problem is mental health or racism or taking God out of the schools. Gun violence is merely a manifestation of all these other problems. So all we have to do is eradicate all of society's ills and we won't have a problem with gun violence.
One of the first questions you ask a suicidal person is if they have access to a gun. The gun doesn't make them suicidal, it just makes them more likely to follow through with their suicidal ideation. The same is true for people that think about killing people. The gun doesn't make them do it, it just makes it easier.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Yay. We get to see one more time how damned useless the GOP is in keeping America safe. They don't like people, they just like the idea of people. That's why they won't protect children from being shot but a fetus is off limits.

Americans are politically retarded.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:08 am
MTG certainly is the poster girl for lacking mental health.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.