School Shooting in Uvalde Texas

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: School Shooting in Uvalde Texas

Post by ajax18 »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:37 pm
Watching Governor Abbot's press conference today, you learned that the problem of gun violence is the result of everything other than the problem of gun violence.

I felt like screaming at the Television.
What exactly are the Democrats proposing that will stop mass shootings? National gun confiscation?

One thing I've noticed with these mass shootings is that if it's white male, then the focus of the media is on the race and political ideology of the criminal. If it's a hispanic male in Texas, then the focus is on state gun control laws. If it's a Chinese man killing Taiwanese men in California with its strict gun control then the story just goes away as quickly as it appeared. The same goes for an African American man shooting up a New York subway.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

This story begins with a young man who, by virtue of the fact that he has attained 18 years of age, legally purchased automatic weapons, designed, not to defend, but kill as many as possible. Governor Abbot can talk about mental health facilities until he is blue in the face, but unless you can vouchsafe for the mental stability of every 18 year old in the state of Texas, at least part of the solution is staring you in the face.

We use to have any automatic weapons ban in this country. That's a place to start.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:17 pm

We use to have any automatic weapons ban in this country.
Is there anywhere that this is not still the case?

I know that people can get a special permit for an automatic weapon. But, as far as I know, there are bans nationwide on automatic weapons.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:33 pm
What exactly are the Democrats proposing that will stop mass shootings? National gun confiscation?
Remarks like these is why you'll forever be considered a useless shite and a troll. There are countless threads where you were involved, in which this issue was raised ad nauseum and never was there a proposed solution "by Democrats" to "confiscate" guns. No one on this forum has ever proposed it and no Democrat politician is proposing it. Further, you plea ignorance as to what Democrats would propose when we've been damned telling you for many years now.

And as usual, you cannot respond to anything without bringing up race. Just like we'd expect from a white nationalist.
One thing I've noticed with these mass shootings is that if it's white male, then the focus of the media is on the race and political ideology of the criminal.
Absolute horse crap. The recent killing in Buffalo was by a self proclaimed white supremacist who drove out of his way to kill black people.
If it's a hispanic male in Texas, then the focus is on state gun control laws. If it's a Chinese man killing Taiwanese men in California with its strict gun control then the story just goes away as quickly as it appeared. The same goes for an African American man shooting up a New York subway.
horse crap on all counts. You're just making stuff up to give your putrid, racist mind some kind of mental gratification.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

When is Ajax going to blame the Republicans controlling Texas? What are their solutions?

Just call it "evil" and insist nothing can be done. Blame mental health even if there is no evidence of mental illness.

Well Georgia's latest contribution to the GOP peanut gallery is Herschel Walker, an absolute moron who thinks scoring TDs 40 years ago while being black somehow qualifies him to serve office. This is what the moron had to say as a solution: “What about getting a department that can look at young men that’s looking at women that looking at social media"

WTF?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:17 pm
This story begins with a young man who, by virtue of the fact that he has attained 18 years of age, legally purchased automatic weapons, designed, not to defend, but kill as many as possible. Governor Abbot can talk about mental health facilities until he is blue in the face, but unless you can vouchsafe for the mental stability of every 18 year old in the state of Texas, at least part of the solution is staring you in the face.

We use to have any automatic weapons ban in this country. That's a place to start.
The weapons he used were not automatic. 1 pull of the trigger fires 1 bullet. Automatic weapons are nigh impossible for the average person to get after the Federal Assault Weapons Ban in 1994. Firearms Owners' Protection Act of 1986.
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
High Spy
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:24 pm
Yay. We get to see one more time how damned useless the GOP is in keeping America safe. They don't like people, they just like the idea of people. That's why they won't protect children from being shot but a fetus is off limits.

Americans are politically retarded.
Americans can just give me:

Lip lock on me Love Muscle.

Sing it. 🎸
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Years ago, after Columbine but long before Sandy Hook, I composed a brutal piece of Swiftian satire about American school shootings. For the love of God, it is a topic.

My essay was entitled, "Why Johnny can't shoot." It expressed outrage at how many rounds it seemed to take for young Americans to kill each other. It advocated thorough training in marksmanship in elementary grades and ended with the peroration, "Keeping the target firmly in sight no matter how many children are gunned down around us will be something that future generations of surviving Americans can easily do, if we do it for them today."

I never tried to publish it anywhere because I felt it wasn't my place, as a non-American, to say it. I couldn't even, and I still can't.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

It's true that automatic fire is a red herring. As any infantry instructor will tell you, in most circumstances an automatic hand-held weapon only lets you waste ammunition. Semi-automatic fire, which is only as fast as you can pull the trigger but the weapon reloads itself when you do, is a bigger threat.

Effective gun control based on weapon type isn't about the "automatic" line. You ban handguns, since there's no good reason to use a handgun for hunting or vermin control. You ban artillery and belt-fed machine guns. And you ban "assault-type" rifles, even though they're not actually any more dangerous than bolt-action hunting rifles in well-trained hands, because people with the kind of competence—at anything—that it takes to shoot well quickly with a bolt-action rifle are a lot less likely to commit something as idiotically incompetent as a shooting spree. Anybody who could reasonably think they could take on the police with a bolt-action rifle is likely to realize that they have better options in life than that.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

Physics Guy wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:03 pm
It's true that automatic fire is a red herring. As any infantry instructor will tell you, in most circumstances an automatic hand-held weapon only lets you waste ammunition. Semi-automatic fire, which is only as fast as you can pull the trigger but the weapon reloads itself when you do, is a bigger threat.

Effective gun control based on weapon type isn't about the "automatic" line. You ban handguns, since there's no good reason to use a handgun for hunting or vermin control. You ban artillery and belt-fed machine guns. And you ban "assault-type" rifles, even though they're not actually any more dangerous than bolt-action hunting rifles in well-trained hands, because people with the kind of competence—at anything—that it takes to shoot well quickly with a bolt-action rifle are a lot less likely to commit something as idiotically incompetent as a shooting spree. Anybody who could reasonably think they could take on the police with a bolt-action rifle is likely to realize that they have better options in life than that.
It sounds good but unfortunately actually achieving what you laid out would be nearly impossible. There are roughly 400 million guns in the United States and seeing any sort of voluntary buyback program succeed is highly unlikely. A forced confiscation of said guns would be even more of a clusterf*Celestial Kingdom.
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith