School Shooting in Uvalde Texas

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: School Shooting in Uvalde Texas

Post by Binger »

Or, we could just go back to calling people we do not like Nazis and not cooperating on a goddamn thing, ever.

It is kinda not very weird at all that people who are lied to every day feel like they will be lied to again and so they don't participate in solutions. Including things that need real solutions, like not having the lunatic fringe shooting the crap out of the joint.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

I should not have said automatic weapons. The semi-automatic weapons ban had a 10 year sunset clause and was not renewed.

by the way, this is a tweet from Daniel Defense, the gun's manufacturer, earlier this month:

You have to love the hands-in-prayer emoji.

No other advanced Western country comes anywhere near the U.S. in gun violence. The United States lives in a 2nd Amendment dystopia of our own creation. Just as the world looks at Russia and understands that Putin's idea of controlling the sovereignty of other nations is insane, so too do they look the United States unhealthy obsession with guns and shake their heads.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

So. Screwed. UP.

Texas police struggle to explain response to Uvalde shooter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tezfmrKCTOk

Law suits are going to fly after the funerals.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

LIARS.

Lawrence: Republicans Don't Want You To Know The Truth About Texas School Massacre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOIvRoVO4RM
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:37 am
LIARS.

Lawrence: Republicans Don't Want You To Know The Truth About Texas School Massacre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOIvRoVO4RM
It is a Bury your Head in the Sand event for Republicans.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

So, what’s the solution?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:16 am
So, what’s the solution?
I've always said, if you want to own a gun, you should be shot so you have first hand knowledge of its potential danger.

ETA: And of course, you have to be shot by the gun you want to own. Or guns.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Kukulkan wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:10 pm
There are roughly 400 million guns in the United States and seeing any sort of voluntary buyback program succeed is highly unlikely. A forced confiscation of said guns would be even more of a clusterf*Celestial Kingdom.
That's my impression, too, for what it's worth. What that means in other words, though, is that a simple and effective solution to all this insane violence exists, and has been proven many times around the world, but Americans would rather keep suffering mass shootings. They are self-inflicted wounds.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Physics Guy wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:54 pm
but Americans would rather keep suffering mass shootings. They are self-inflicted wounds.
But you mostly see ad hominem headlines. The personal attacks won't do anything to help Republicans understand why gun control is necessary.
Some Schmo wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:50 pm
I've always said, if you want to own a gun, you should be shot so you have first hand knowledge of its potential danger.

ETA: And of course, you have to be shot by the gun you want to own. Or guns.
Sure buddy. That will educate Republicans.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Fri May 27, 2022 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:16 am
So, what’s the solution?
We wait and see if kids of rich Republicans get shot up and then let them fix the problem on their own terms. Nobody is going to care as long as its poor non-whites being affected. I've found that with my right-wing associates and friends, they don't start getting it until they're personally affected. My right-wing friend is relatively open to gun restrictions. Why? His brother was murdered. The other guy I see regularly, his son, who believed Covid was a conspiracy, is now vaccinated and pro vaccine. Why? Because he nearly died of Covid. Reality doesn't work for everyone. It doesn't need to. It needs to work with enough people who are in a position to make a difference.

As has been discussed elsewhere, guns are working their way up to the number one identity issue in this country. Are you a good Christian? The best indicator is if you own a gun and are Second Amendment. And so the reaction of the left to kids getting murdered triggers a violent reaction from the right. Same thing a thousand years ago when the Church was divided over whether images = idolatry. Other issues are tied to the symbol.

If the Supreme Court loosens things up even more and the next level of shootings come, and it starts affecting the the right people personally, then what is the solution?

DoubtingThomas made a good point that these young poseurs are loners, and unless they buy the gun themselves or have access through a family member, they probably won't be able to accomplish the task. Continued legal pressure on the parents such as in the Crumbly case is a step in the right direction where applicable. H mentioned mandatory liability insurance, which I think is a great idea. As KG pointed out, magazine capacity and certain kinds of guns and magazines are fit for the task of killing as many people as possible, maybe those should be restricted.

Ceeboo is open to A-Mike's suggestion of arming and training teachers with guns. The next time a punk kid bursts through the door of an elementary school classroom wearing body armor and wielding two semi-auto rifles with high-capacity magazines and pistol grips, she'll be prepared to draw her .38 and put one right in his neck over the heads of the kids.