Let me just desecrate some stuff ...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Let me just desecrate some stuff ...

Post by Chap »

DESECRATION TRIGGER WARNING!

If you are likely to be triggered by any discussion linked to gun controls, don't read any more.

Just have a look at this chart from the CDC, discussed in the New England Journal of Medicine:

Current Causes of Death in Children and Adolescents in the United States

OK: So what can be done about the fact that the largest cause of death in US children and adolescents is now gun-related?

Thoughts and prayers? I have a better idea.

Pass a law forbidding kids to wear seatbelts in cars. That way auto accidents will get back to their rightful place as the major kid killer, and the gun control hysteria will simply wither away.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Some Schmo
God

Re: Let me just desecrate some stuff ...

Post by Some Schmo »

"Thoughts and prayers" is another GOP lie. They are thoughtless and we know gun control doesn't have a prayer.

Clearly, praying does nothing to affect the real world.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:18 pm
Clearly, praying does nothing to affect the real world.
Oh, but it helps the Republicans hold onto the Evangelical vote! They really love to vote for People Who Pray - I mean, if they are praying, they must be good guys, right?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Never before has the wisdom of the founding fathers' idea of the strict wall of separation between church and state been more evident nor the danger to our democracy from breaching that wall seemed more acute and imminent. This year we are faced with a choice between a Republican Party, some of whose prominent leaders seem hell bent on destroying democracy forever (and hardly even try to hide that intent in many cases) and a Democrat party and independents who, though they have disagreements between them, are united at least in Abraham Lincoln's ideal of a government of, by and for the people. It is a tragedy that the party of arguably the greatest of all American Presidents now poses the greatest danger to that very ideal he espoused so eloquently in his amazing Gettysburg Address, one of the greatest oratorical masterpieces in human history.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.