Reading Discussion: The Ministry of Truth

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Reading Discussion: The Ministry of Truth

Post by honorentheos »

Marcus wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:10 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:04 pm
Hey all -

Would everyone who is interested mind checking in? Please post if you are interested in the book but haven't started reading, are reading and roughly which chapter you are on, read it the day before it was confirmed and have read five books since then so it's a hazy memory now, or anything else I'm not thinking of that may help gauge if the schedule is appropriate or needs adjusted.

I started with chapter 5 this morning. I had to do a little catch-up reading over the weekend due to being busy at work last week and getting behind my original plan. Once I set other things aside and get into it, I want to keep reading and wish other life needs didn't get in the way of book consumption.
I am enjoying reading your comments and although I am very interested in this, just for me, even though I voted on the book choice, I simply cannot make any commitments right now.
honorentheos wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 7:48 pm

Nominations for the next reading will open in a separate thread the week June 12 with voting occuring on the selection at the end of that week so we can transition to the next book after the week of the 19th.

Happy reading!

The nuptials of my child are the weekend of the 18th. I will try to be involved in the next voting, but after the 19th, I am REALLY looking forward to being involved! A palate cleanser, as it were. :D :D :D :D

Maybe this is just a rough season for others as well.
Hi Marcus -

Sounds like the timing works out perfect for the next book. :) Best wishes with the next month and getting to what I'm sure will be needed downtime.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:03 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:04 pm
Hey all -

Would everyone who is interested mind checking in? Please post if you are interested in the book but haven't started reading, are reading and roughly which chapter you are on, read it the day before it was confirmed and have read five books since then so it's a hazy memory now, or anything else I'm not thinking of that may help gauge if the schedule is appropriate or needs adjusted.

I started with chapter 5 this morning. I had to do a little catch-up reading over the weekend due to being busy at work last week and getting behind my original plan. Once I set other things aside and get into it, I want to keep reading and wish other life needs didn't get in the way of book consumption.
I am, but just haven't had time to start. I should have some free evenings this week to dig in.
Awesome, thanks for the update. :)
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:01 pm
FYI: The poll shows a total of 5 people voted for this book. One of those was me. I don't have time to devote to it right now and that is typical of my summers. So...

1. honor
2. Morley
3. Marcus
4. Jersey
5. RI (Possibly)

Voted for the book. Just trying to help tighten things up.
Hi Jersey Girl -

Thanks for the help. :) I'm not sure that Morley or Res voted for this particular book and would guess they both voted for Kafka on the Shore. I appreciate that even if someone didn't vote for a book they choose to read the one that was selected and participate in the discussion. Hopefully that holds more true on readings in the future, too. I certainly plan on reading even if my first pick isn't chosen. I've been introduced to numerous books that way that I wouldn't have read otherwise.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honor I stand sit corrected. ;)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

The chapter titled, "Utopia Fever" is the first place I ever heard of the book, Looking Backward: 2000, by Edward Bellemy. I found the chapter fascinating for many reason. I'm wondering, since this is a Mormon discussion board first and foremost - did anyone else who read this chapter wonder if this best selling, influential novel published in 1888, influence Nephi Anderson to write the equally lost gem Added Upon published 10 years later in 1898? I can't help but think that there was some kind of borrowed idea here where a Mormon author looked at the secular utopian novel written from the perspective of a contemporary visitor to an idealized future and thought, "You want utopia? What's more utopian than the celestial kingdom?"

it may be worth more study.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:00 am
Now can you talk your friend Philo to come chat with us? Unless he just liked that video he shared, I was guessing he voted for the book. I'm also guessing he'd read it over breakfast while working out a couple of chess puzzles and a new way to start a survival fire with spandex and a Cheeto so he may be waiting to read it when we're close to the end of the schedule...:)
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:09 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:00 am
Now can you talk your friend Philo to come chat with us? Unless he just liked that video he shared, I was guessing he voted for the book. I'm also guessing he'd read it over breakfast while working out a couple of chess puzzles and a new way to start a survival fire with spandex and a Cheeto so he may be waiting to read it when we're close to the end of the schedule...:)
I shall threaten him behind the scenes. Please stand by.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Yes, I don't have the book yet, but will get it soon! I voted for it, and definitely will read it and begin gabbing here shortly.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:23 am
Yes, I don't have the book yet, but will get it soon! I voted for it, and definitely will read it and begin gabbing here shortly.
That's excellent, Philo!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

How'd I do honor? :lol:

Slava Ukraini!