Reading Discussion: The Ministry of Truth

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Reading Discussion: The Ministry of Truth

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:32 am
How'd I do honor? :lol:
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Other than 1984 and Animal Farm, I knew little of Orwell other than that he had a pencil mustache, sat out World War II, and died before the age of fifty. I wasn't sure he had the personal history necessary to carry a biography.

So far, I'm quite enjoying the book, while hoping that it doesn't take an abrupt turn toward hagiography. I appreciate the focus on the literature and zeitgeist that infused the period rather than being solely about Orwell.

Like honor, the book has given me all kinds of detours. I had to look up Stephen Spender and Edward Bellamy. Spender's poetry was meh, but I was taken by something he said about everyone seeing their own experience as concrete reality and everything else in life as an abstraction. Bellamy's impact on thought at the time was quite a surprise, given that I'd never heard the name before. Maybe someday I'll learn to not be caught off guard by my own ignorance.

My favorite chapter was the one that focused on HG Wells. While interesting, I think one chapter was sufficient to capture the man. I'll let others read and weigh in on this personality.

Though I'd expected a little more ink to be spilled on movements like the Futurists who helped build the road to fascism, I can understand why they were (at least so far) left out. Planets like Ezra Pound rotated a little outside of Orwell's orbit. I also didn't anticipate the Spanish Civil War as being so pivotable. I'd expected a little more Gravesian style angst about World War I--before I realized I was off by half a generation.

I'm looking forward to what others have to say. Perhaps we should modify the schedule and move all the suggested discussion deadlines back a week or two.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I found a paperback, but sturdy collection of essays from greater writes years ago in a used book store. It became my book of choice when I was going to be somewhere where I was going to be sitting around for indefinite amounts of time. Doctors offices and airports, vacations and coffee breaks, I found it perfect for filling time that paid dividends disproportionate to the length of the essays.

One of them was Orwell's Such, Such Were the Joys about his time in a boarding school on scholarship as a youth. Beyond the content, what stood out was the writing. His voice is distinctive, immersive, familiar. It was the first time I had encountered him again since reading Nineteen Eighty-Four and led to my finally picking up Animal Farm.

I agree that the interplay between biography and period portrait, literaturary peers and Wells is brilliant structuring that keeps the book moving with interest but also depth. It seems it would be easy to write other versions of this book that fail.

I'm good with bumping the schedule a week of that works best for the group. Thanks for the suggestion!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Morley wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:44 pm
Bellamy's impact on thought at the time was quite a surprise, given that I'd never heard the name before. Maybe someday I'll learn to not be caught off guard by my own ignorance.
I had a similar reaction. Then I listened to the 10 minute free sample of Looking Backward: 2000 on Audible...and it made a little more sense. I don't see a Bellamy revival in the stars.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I will get my book on Thursday in 2 days!~!~! YEAH BABY!!!!!!!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:55 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:32 am
How'd I do honor? :lol:
That was about a 10 minute turnaround time. 8-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Lookit man, it isn't my fault. When the Jersey Girl speaks, we LISTEN! She's right, it was only about a ten minute turn around. Even I am impressed! :lol:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I got my book! Woo! Now I gotta read it. Looking forward to this discussion!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Hi all - checking in on how catching up is going?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Hi Morley -

I think you touch on a question that deserves consideration as we progress through the book beyond the first weeks readings. That being, how well does Lynskey do in avoiding the temptation to elevate Orwell rather than reveal Orwell and his books creation? The chapters on Wells seems specifically to ask the reader to contrast the two but it raises the question of whether Wells suffers from outliving his relevance compared to Orwell who died relatively young and immediately after the publication of 1984? Or is there a tendency to redefine Orwell with the times that Wells fails to receive due to differences in their visions? Is Orwell perhaps undeservedly subject to hagiography in framing his life due to factors worth visiting in their own right given the times a person lives in often dictates which prophets they most reverence? I'm curious.

That seems to be one of the framings I find myself using while reading: Is this a.book about three subjects rather than just two? Orwell, his novel, and the times the reader finds themselves in and how they relate to the first two?
Morley wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:44 pm
So far, I'm quite enjoying the book, while hoping that it doesn't take an abrupt turn toward hagiography. I appreciate the focus on the literature and zeitgeist that infused the period rather than being solely about Orwell.