Adios Folks

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: Adios Folks

Post by Marcus »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 6:23 am
If you got your high school yearbook signed in the 1960's, sooner or later someone would write:

Have a bitchin' summer!

It meant cool, as in, that's a bitchin' shirt. It was a unisex adjective.
And it's being used in another way here
Marcus wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:15 am

When a registered member clicks on "new posts" 2 of the top results are

"The Bitch Being a Bitch"

and

"The Other Bitch."

:roll:
Not to be confused with bitching, which we all know means complaining, and is also unisex.
Is it? Heres the best response I've ever seen to that argument:
Wait, do you really consider "bitch" or "bitching" in these contexts sexist, nowadays? I've seen it applied to both genders, and, as in this case, a verb. It's moved on from the controversial stage to a common expression.
Hmm. I agree that it's normalized (as you said below), and not controversial to lots of people. But I think that's because people are mostly fine with casual sexism, as long as it's not too obvious.

So think about this. You've seen it applied to both genders. How is it applied to men? "Whiny little bitch"; "I'm gonna make you my bitch"; "Suck it, bitch"; "Stop bitching ..." Here's what those phrases mean to people, not in the past but today: "you're acting like a weak, pathetic woman"; "I'm going to sexually dominate you like a woman".

How is it applied to women? "Stop your bitching." "Shut up, bitch." "She's such a bitch." Can you guess how those ones come across? "Shut up, stop complaining, and smile the way you're supposed to." "I own you; do what I say." "She doesn't act the way women should."

Right now (if you're not a terrible person :) you're already typing "that's not what it means when I say it!" And I sorta believe you, and that's great.

But there's a reason that if you stop using "bitch," you won't have a good word to replace it. "Bitch" is a powerful, useful word exactly because it's great for calling men women, and telling women to stay in their place. Those messages hit hard, because it hasn't been very long since women were literally property, so having a quick way to hit someone with them comes in handy. And you don't get to choose how people hear your words -- when you use it, that's what's lurking right under the surface, and it's what a lot of people will hear.

Go ahead and keep doing it if that's your thing. Even try to reclaim it. But some of us are going to think you're just another schmuck blindly supporting the idea that men are one way and women are another way and men should be in charge of women. I haven't used the word "offensive" here, because that makes it all about me. I'm not offended.* It doesn't matter if I'm offended. What matters is that words promote ideas, and the word "bitch" promotes a stupid idea, and you might not want to do that.

* (Offended is such a weak emotion anyway. I recommend self-righteous anger, bitter amusement, cold calculation or cynical detachment. No one is merely offended.)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... TV-QKL1Ueb
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Would you mind if I redirected this back to Kevin leaving? Will a brief absence sort this out? I appreciated moderator intervention after the unpleasantry with AM and Binger. Deliberately trying to destroy a forum and having no adequate board response was so disheartening. I know I thought of never clicking on this forum again, and I expect others contemplated that as well.

I can understand why Kevin reacts so strongly to Ajax since Ajax takes rather extreme positions. However, if this was Montgomery Alabama and the year was 1922, Ajax's views would be in the majority.

Anyway, I do not want Kevin to leave permanently.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Res - Given the OP - Your handling of this delicate situation with KG has been outstanding! I admire the grace, compassion, and even-handedness that you have exhibited in this thread. I tip my hat in your direction.

KG - Given the amount of time and effort that you have given to this community, I hope you will reconsider your permanent departure and return when/if you're ready to do so. While I can't think of very many times that I have agreed with anything you have posted, I understand, recognize, and appreciate that other board members find substantial agreement and value with/in your board contributions over the years.

If you don't return, I wish the best for you and yours. I hope to see you posting again.
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 6:23 am
If you got your high school yearbook signed in the 1960's, sooner or later someone would write:

Have a bitchin' summer!

It meant cool, as in, that's a bitchin' shirt. It was a unisex adjective. Not to be confused with bitching, which we all know means complaining, and is also unisex.

Very versatile word.

Like a Bitchin Camero?

https://youtu.be/1v3CzvQ9e_w
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Why use the word bitch when asshole works just as well? Asshole is more flexible. Ahem. :lol:
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:17 pm
Why use the word bitch when asshole works just as well? Asshole is more flexible. Ahem. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, though, i am in agreement. The 'has one' word is universal. Even the planets have ...ok ok. I'll just stop there and slink out. ; D
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:39 pm

Seriously, though, i am in agreement. The 'has one' word is universal. Even the planets have ...ok ok. I'll just stop there and slink out. ; D
Here is something we can agree on. And, damn, I can be a real asshole.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:42 pm
Marcus wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:39 pm

Here is something we can agree on. And, damn, I can be a real asshole.
Me too. Hey! Something else we have in common. :D
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I remember you saying, "Don't think you're going be a hero," on the old board. You went on to say that this was why you don't own firearm for protection and that you believe other people should have that right either. And no I can't find the actual quote because it was at least 5 years ago. So let's clear up your view on it. Do you believe private citizens should be allowed to own guns to protect themselves from criminals or not Kevin?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 3:06 pm
I remember you saying, "Don't think you're going be a hero," on the old board. You went on to say that this was why you don't own firearm for protection and that you believe other people should have that right either. And no I can't find the actual quote because it was at least 5 years ago. So let's clear up your view on it. Do you believe private citizens should be allowed to own guns to protect themselves from criminals or not Kevin?
God almighty. KG posts saying he won't be posting here anymore, and ajax asks KG a question ... just as if he hadn't read the OP at all.

Per for the course, I suppose. But still a bit depressing.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.