Why is Top Gun Popular?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Why is Top Gun Popular?

Post by Philo Sofee »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:08 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:57 am

What’s the version of aircraft you feel is good enough in today’s operating environment?

- Doc
Fighter jets are unable to stop intercontinental ballistic missiles. So why are fighter jets necessary?

I think our country is spending too much in the military. The biggest threat to our country is a Genetically Engineered Virus.
Absolutely. Idiots in my state exhausted bullets and guns at the beginning of Covid, (not a sporting goods store had a single inventory item concerning guns n bullets after the first month, all sold) perhaps imagining they could shoot the little thing dead, and they rebelled against the Vaccines and ended up dying. Genius.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:20 am
doubtingthomas wrote:

Fighter jets are unable to stop intercontinental ballistic missiles. So why are fighter jets necessary?

I think our country is spending too much in the military. The biggest threat to our country is a Genetically Engineered Virus.
Absolutely. Idiots in my state exhausted bullets and guns at the beginning of Covid, (not a sporting goods store had a single inventory item concerning guns n bullets after the first month, all sold) perhaps imagining they could shoot the little thing dead, and they rebelled against the Vaccines and ended up dying. Genius.
I am a bit puzzled, there have been a number of wars since 1946 none of which employed intercontinental ballistic missiles but all employed fighter jets.

It is hard to limit a virus to a specific target making it unattractive as a weapon of war.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:36 am
I am a bit puzzled, there have been a number of wars since 1946 none of which employed intercontinental ballistic missiles but all employed fighter jets.
No country would employ fighter jets to attack the US.
huckelberry wrote:
It is hard to limit a virus to a specific target making it unattractive as a weapon of war.
It's hard, but not impossible. Who knows how advance the science gets in 20 years.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:38 am
huckelberry wrote:
No country would employ fighter jets to attack the US.
No country that anticipated any form of overall successful military campaign, and didn't care about neutralizing in-air capabilities, or precision retaliatory or defense attacks.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:57 am

What’s the version of aircraft you feel is good enough in today’s operating environment?

- Doc

Right. That said, what’s the version of aircraft you feel is good enough in today’s operating environment?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Incidentally, a while back, the head of the US Missile Defense Agency indicated that the F-35 will be fully capable of detecting, tracking, and intercepting ICBMs by 2025.

F-35s are already capable of taking out an ICBM during the boost phase.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:54 pm

Right. That said, what’s the version of aircraft you feel is good enough in today’s operating environment?

- Doc
Don't know, you tell me.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:11 pm
Incidentally, a while back, the head of the US Missile Defense Agency indicated that the F-35 will be fully capable of detecting, tracking, and intercepting ICBMs by 2025.

F-35s are already capable of taking out an ICBM during the boost phase.

Reference. And ICBMs won't be faster by 2025? Can F35s take out Satan II? And wouldn't it be easier and less expensive to use lasers or other missiles to take out ICBMs?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:28 pm
Secondhand Lions is awesome. Secondhand Lions trivia: the end-credit art is by Berkeley Breathed (of Bloom County fame) and is his take on an alt-universe version of Calvin and Hobbes, which in the film's story is the creation of the young protagonist. The film also features Robert Duvall and Michael Caine, for folks who go in for things not strictly cartoon-related (if such exist).

Top Gun is good fun, but would have benefited from a lion or two.
Secondhand Lions is one of my favorites!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

My favorite Tom Cruise movies (movies starring Cruise):

Vanilla Sky
Minority Report
Oblivion
Edge of Tomorrow

To see list:

Eyes Wide Shut
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow