The 2nd Amendment in the 21st Century

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: The 2nd Amendment in the 21st Century

Post by ajax18 »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:46 am
Because of the gun culture, life in the US will increasingly be defined as nasty, brutish, and short.
If you think life would be better without the 2nd amendment, move to Mexico. They have no 2nd amendment there. Tell me how safe and secure you feel when El Chapo hears there's a defenseless Gringo with a plump wallet that just moved into his barrio.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:39 pm
Moksha wrote:
Because of the gun culture, life in the US will increasingly be defined as nasty, brutish, and short.
If you think life would be better without the 2nd amendment, move to Mexico. They have no 2nd amendment there. Tell me how safe and secure you feel when El Chapo hears there's a defenseless Gringo with a plump wallet that just moved into his barrio.
Mexico has a lower firearm-related death rate than the US, for what it's worth.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Moksha wrote:
Or you could try moving to the kind of country I live in (despite the name, please don't confuse my with the person referred to by ajax). No Second Amendment, much less gun crime than the US, and generally a lot less violent.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:57 pm
Chap wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:02 am
If I could suddenly press a button and transform the countries where I live into societies like the US where (amirite?) there is more than one gun for every adult in the population, and a kids just turned 18 can walk into a shop and buy a military grade assault rifle and hundreds of rounds of ammunition, then - HOW EXACTLY WOULD I BE BETTER OFF?
I don’t think you’d be better off. Like most of us you seem to possess sense and empathy, so the thought of living with a statistically nominal event is still gut wrenching and barbaric. However, let’s look at it like a selfish paranoid asshole who is convinced if we lose our guns they’ll be rounded up by demonrat communists and gulag’d to death.

I suppose their question might be along the lines of how much should we fear mass shootings in the US? This comment might be a bit much for some people in the aftermath of the Texas Ohio Pennsylvania Michigan Colorado Arizona Nevada California shooting, but try and bear with it. Since, say, 2012 there have been 1500 deaths from mass shootings. These are 1500 people, with hopes and dreams and unquantifiable experiences. That being said, this is .0000045% of the us population (I might be off by a zero or whatever, I’m terrible at math). It’s an insanely improbable number to worry about, you might as well worry about being eaten by a shark in a kiddie pool.

You’re 76 x as likely to die from drunk driving. 2775 x as likely to die from obesity-related issues. 4300 x as likely to die from cancer. All of that is fairly preventable with good choices, as is with gun ownership. One can argue nuances with regard to choice and consequences, but you can’t with statistics.

In other words, don’t worry about it, man. You’ll be fine. And if not, oh well.

- Doc
Thanks for the nice post. But I do think you have me slightly wrong. Ajax seems to think it would be terrible and dangerous to live in a society where he could not freely own firearms. I am simply pointing out that I do live in such a society, and I feel in no danger as a result. Hence I ask what I would gain if the society I live in suddenly went over to unrestricted gun ownership on the US model.

So far neither ajax not anybody else has given me an answer.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hrm. What do you gain. Man, that’s a tough one because you ostensibly feel safer and healthier than the average American does I’d imagine. I mean, you’re not the constantly bitching about minorities, opposition parties, or morality gone askew, so whatever it is that Xanax thinks he has in his part of the world, it’s clearly driving him insane.

Bah bah bah …. phbbbt …. hrrrrrrmmmmm … Ah! I got it.

You’d gain the ability to kill someone almost instantly, if you were so inclined! And how does that make you better off? Because you’re actually an international assassin with dual citizenship with Brazil, which has no extradition agreements in place with the US, and you have voce tem esses caras em seus bolsos.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:04 pm
Hrm. What do you gain. Man, that’s a tough one because you ostensibly feel safer and healthier than the average American does I’d imagine. I mean, you’re not the constantly bitching about minorities, opposition parties, or morality gone askew, so whatever it is that Xanax thinks he has in his part of the world, it’s clearly driving him insane.

Bah bah bah …. phbbbt …. hrrrrrrmmmmm … Ah! I got it.

You’d gain the ability to kill someone almost instantly, if you were so inclined! And how does that make you better off? Because you’re actually an international assassin with dual citizenship with Brazil, which has no extradition agreements in place with the US, and you have voce tem esses caras 'em seus bolsos.

- Doc
Definitely gets a 10.0 for artistic impression. And the way you stuck the landing....magnifico!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Moksha wrote:
El Chapo doesn't live in a barrio. He lives in El Supermax.
he/him

MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

ajax18 wrote:
Moksha wrote:
I don't think the only model for a country without a 2nd Amendment is Mexico. Are you saying the only thing that keeps us from being overrun by the U.S. version of Mexican Drug Lords is the fact that we let an 18 year old buy assault rifles and 6,000 rounds of ammunition?

And again, if we were writing the Constitution today, what would the words "well-regulated militia" mean in the context of defending the United States in the 21st Century?
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Suppose we turn this around. I am very much appreciative of the fact that the drivers on the roads i use are, for the most part, of an appropriate age, have a license to drive which they got after fully identifying themselves and taking both written and practical tests, and then are driving vehicles that are typically registered, fully identified, and, most importantly, insured. Also, police regularly keep an eye out for nonseatbelted, unlicensed, unregistered, impaired and/or distracted drivers, imposing fines and penalties that hopefully discourage those behaviors.

All of that makes me considerably more confident in sharing the space with cars and drivers.

Almost NONE of that carries over to the same extent to gun purchasing, ownership, and use.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:30 pm
ajax18 wrote:

I don't think the only model for a country without a 2nd Amendment is Mexico. Are you saying the only thing that keeps us from being overrun by the U.S. version of Mexican Drug Lords is the fact that we let an 18 year old buy assault rifles and 6,000 rounds of ammunition?

And again, if we were writing the Constitution today, what would the words "well-regulated militia" mean in the context of defending the United States in the 21st Century?
Yeah, curious he didn't pick England or Australia or even Canada.
he/him