The 2nd Amendment in the 21st Century

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: The 2nd Amendment in the 21st Century

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:46 am
And again, if we were writing the Constitution today, what would the words "well-regulated militia" mean in the context of defending the United States in the 21st Century?
I think the founding fathers would have intended that American citizens have the right to protect hearth and home. I doubt they would have expected shopowners to allow their merchandise to be destroyed and looted especially if they saw the movement to defund the police and stop any real law enforcement because they themselves owned slaves some 250 years earlier.
We’ll bless your heart, of course you do. I can make up what I think the founders would have intended, too. The real truth is that you have no idea what those men would have thought if we could magically bring them here today.

Guess what, Ajax? There were no police in America in the 1700s. Police departments were created in the US In the 1860s. So, if you ranted at Thomas Jefferson about defending the police, he literally wouldn’t know what you were talking about.

What the founders weren’t were bitter, hateful men who found daily excuses to hate their fellow humans.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I swear, if you’re the paragon for Whiteness I need to see if the Latinos will adopt me
I'm sure they would. Maybe you should give Latin America a try. I hear you can even use your medicare card in Costa Rican hospitals. Just don't plan on walking through the woods or kayaking down the river there. I doubt the office of veterans affairs will pay the millions in ransom the guerrilla would require to bring you back.
Last edited by ajax18 on Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

What the founders weren’t were bitter, hateful men who found daily excuses to hate their fellow humans.
I don't know what you're talking about. All I've asserted in this thread is the right to self defense from criminals. I haven't even been talking about revolution.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Sorry about this but, I won't be able to help you guys overthrow Trump next cycle as I can't legally buy firearms anymore.

I went through a divorce in 01. My wife had gotten a no contact order against me. Apparently that includes not calling, which I stupidly did. It was a totally benign call but, whatever. So, I have a conviction of misdemeanor harassment on my record because of it. I went to buy a gun a few years ago and was denied by the OSP. (Oregon state Police)

I do have a 38 sp. six shooter though, but, I'm afraid if I harken the call and show up at Cassius U. with that, when everybody else is packing Bushmasters... I would be teased.

Anyway, I've heard that if a person has been good for a time, that this could be expunged from ones record. Res, is this something I can do myself, or should I hire an Atty.?
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

dantana wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:28 am
Sorry about this but, I won't be able to help you guys overthrow Trump next cycle as I can't legally buy firearms anymore.

I went through a divorce in 01. My wife had gotten a no contact order against me. Apparently that includes not calling, which I stupidly did. It was a totally benign call but, whatever. So, I have a conviction of misdemeanor harassment on my record because of it. I went to buy a gun a few years ago and was denied by the OSP. (Oregon state Police)

I do have a 38 sp. six shooter though, but, I'm afraid if I harken the call and show up at Cassius U. with that, when everybody else is packing Bushmasters... I would be teased.

Anyway, I've heard that if a person has been good for a time, that this could be expunged from ones record. Res, is this something I can do myself, or should I hire an Atty.?
I’ve never done this as a lawyer, but the process don’t look that complicated in terms of doing it yourself. This law firm’s website explains it pretty well. https://www.zuanichlaw.com/how-do-i-fil ... -in-oregon

If that misdemeanor violation is all that’s on your record, you may have a decent chance of getting it expunged. If not, you can still file the motion to have your rights restored. A local attorney who practices in your county may be able to tell you how likely it is that your rights will be restored. I don’t have any kind of feel for that.
he/him

Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Chap wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:02 am
If I could suddenly press a button and transform the countries where I live into societies like the US where (amirite?) there is more than one gun for every adult in the population, and a kids just turned 18 can walk into a shop and buy a military grade assault rifle and hundreds of rounds of ammunition, then - HOW EXACTLY WOULD I BE BETTER OFF?
You'd be better off if you lived in a dangerous, high-crime neighborhood and you were that kid.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:07 pm
Chap wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:02 am
If I could suddenly press a button and transform the countries where I live into societies like the US where (amirite?) there is more than one gun for every adult in the population, and a kids just turned 18 can walk into a shop and buy a military grade assault rifle and hundreds of rounds of ammunition, then - HOW EXACTLY WOULD I BE BETTER OFF?
You'd be better off if you lived in a dangerous, high-crime neighborhood and you were that kid.
You mean the kid who actually did "walk into a shop and buy a military grade assault rifle and hundreds of rounds of ammunition"? I still don't see what you mean, since if I was that kid and lived in a high-crime neighbourhood and if I did press my magic button to change to a US-level of gun availability, everybody else (hence lots of criminals) would have lots of guns and ammunition too. So how would I gain anything?

BUT, like the great majority of people, I don't live in a high-crime neighbourhood in any case.

I note that my capitalised question about exactly what benefits I would get from suddenly having a US-level of gun availability in my society remains unanswered.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:22 am
I don't know what you're talking about. All I've asserted in this thread is the right to self defense from criminals. I haven't even been talking about revolution.
Why aren’t you a CCW permit holder, and why aren’t you strapping 24/7, you know, for self-defense?

Speaking of guns, 3 dead and 11 wounded in Philadelphia. This is ridiculous.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:32 am
Thanks for the nice post. But I do think you have me slightly wrong. Ajax seems to think it would be terrible and dangerous to live in a society where he could not freely own firearms. I am simply pointing out that I do live in such a society, and I feel in no danger as a result. Hence I ask what I would gain if the society I live in suddenly went over to unrestricted gun ownership on the US model.

So far neither ajax not anybody else has given me an answer.
The USA is a different demographic than England. White Anglo Saxon Protestants are a minority here. Latin America is actually a much more fair comparison for what disarming law biding citizens would look like.

But you do have subway bombings and mass shootings in western Europe thanks to radical Islamic terrorism. Your gun control was powerless to stop it.
So , why is it that California, which has that “different demographic” You refer to has half the rate of firearm deaths that more “Waspish” states have? Why does Hawaii have the lowest rate. Both states have strong gun control laws.?
he/him

Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Ajax wrote:I don't know what you're talking about. All I've asserted in this thread is the right to self defense from criminals
you only need to arm yourself against criminals because the criminals are armed. Do the residents of Luxemburg need to change their laws so they can arm themselves for protection against criminals? In 2020, there was 1 murder in Luxembourg. In 2020, there were 44 murders in Austin Texas. You'd think with Texas's loose gun laws, people would be able to protect themselves better than that.