Gas goes to $9.45/gallon in Mendecino, CA

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Re: Gas goes to $9.45/gallon in Mendecino, CA

Post by Vēritās »

Binger wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:07 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:57 pm

We had a level two charger installed at our house this spring. Boy am I glad we did.
Well done. While I was at the charging station I met a few people that have installed solar and batteries or are in the process of installing it. In Cali, this is not cost effective but it prevents being subject to brownouts during heat waves and high winds when the utility companies turn everything off.

My friends in El Dorado County where there have been brownouts that lasted over 10 days due to heat have added solar well pumps, 1000 gallon propane tanks and extra wells so they can be completely off the grid. They are also looking at the Rivian and Lightning trucks and waiting to see how they perform. These are all extraordinary options for people that can afford it but it may take a bit of the load off the grid and off of the quick charging stations.
Please define "cost effective."

Most solar systems end up paying for themselves well within a person's lifetime, and they also add value to the home.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:56 pm
A gas station in the Northern California town of Mendocino is reportedly charging nearly $10 per gallon, making it the most expensive gas station in the country, as fuel prices continue to climb nationwide.

As locan ABC affiliate KFSN-30 in Fresno, California, reported:

Schlafer’s Auto Repair is selling regular gas for $9.60 for a gallon.

But that’s not the worst part, if your car requires plus then you’ll have to shell out $9.69 and if you need supreme, well, get ready to pay $9.91 for just a gallon of gas.

According to GasBuddy, it’s the most expensive gas in the country.

That is far higher than the state average of $6.371 as of Tuesday, which is the highest in the country; nationwide, the average is $4.919, according to the American Automobile Association.

There are many reasons for the high price — such as the fact that Mendocino is fairly remote, and that California as a whole pays higher prices due to high taxes and a relative lack of refineries.

The owner, Judith Schlafer, explained further to SFGate.com:

Running a small town, independent gas station is “a real hard business,” said Schlafer. Because she buys in comparably small quantities compared to high-volume stations in the city or places like Costco and Safeway, the price she pays, she says, has gone “sky high.” For years, she said, she carried up to $80,000 in debt for the Chevron gasoline she was buying. “I said, ‘I can’t keep going like this.’” Now she prices it to pay for a truckload in 10 days.

Another contributor to the high costs, she says, is the fact that her station sells only gas and offers basic maintenance, like wiper replacements and brake light repairs. Other stations, she notes, have convenience stores. “It’s really hard up here to stay in business,” Schlafer said. “I don’t have a convenience store to mark up the food and the trinkets.” At one point, she said, she was offered the opportunity to attach a convenience store to the station, but it would have cost $100,000. She didn’t have it, she said.

She professed to be surprised that her gas station was the most expensive in the country, and said she could not afford to lower her price.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2022/ ... er-gallon/

I'm guessing Brietbart's point has nothing to do with price gouging? Even though at that price, we're talking about 50% higher than other stations in the area.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Chap wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:57 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:17 pm
I sure do miss being able to haul all my equipment
Sorry? "All my equipment"? You're an optometrist who works out of an office, or so I was led to believe. What is all this stuff you need to haul around, and to do what?

[Edited once to correct incorrect terminology]
Sometimes I travel to smaller underserved rural towns. I carry my retinoscope, BIO, etc. I carry my tennis equipment. I have car seats for young kids. I carry clothes to work out in. A truck is very convenient.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:54 pm
I couldn’t have picked a worse time to become a pickup truck owner. Oh well, I guess we’ll be driving our plug-in hybrids a lot and leaving the truck parked.
Cheer up! It may not be too much longer before affordable, all electric pickups become readily available. Perhaps you can find an affordable deal for a Ford f-150 lightning?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

How much is the Ford F-150 lightning. I read it's only $95k fully loaded. That's a lot less than I would have thought.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:43 am
Chap wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:57 pm

Sorry? "All my equipment"? You're an optometrist who works out of an office, or so I was led to believe. What is all this stuff you need to haul around, and to do what?

[Edited once to correct incorrect terminology]
Sometimes I travel to smaller underserved rural towns. I carry my retinoscope, BIO, etc. I carry my tennis equipment. I have car seats for young kids. I carry clothes to work out in. A truck is very convenient.
How big is your retinoscope? Also, what is the “BIO”? And you carry car seats for young kids? What does that even mean?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:42 pm
Please define "cost effective."

Most solar systems end up paying for themselves well within a person's lifetime, and they also add value to the home.
I won't speak for Binger but here in Texas personal solar often won't pay for itself given our current energy costs, the size of your home being the biggest indicator and also what instillation companies in your area look like. Should the government decide to start increasing costs to where they probably should be then the story might be different but I'll tell you the vast majority of folks in my neighborhood won't actually save any money. Some of us have still done it because of ethical considerations and, when coupled with battery storage, it makes a great backup system but when I installed ours I knew that I likely wouldn't recover the cost of the instal. Hard to put a price on peace of mind though.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Xenophon wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:51 pm
Some of us have still done it because of ethical considerations and, when coupled with battery storage, it makes a great backup system but when I installed ours I knew that I likely wouldn't recover the cost of the instal. Hard to put a price on peace of mind though.

So many discussions of solar focus entirely on the ‘return’; far fewer talk of it as an amenity, as you have here.

I’d imagine that some folks are not looking for a solar installation to ‘pay for itself’ any more so than their kitchen upgrade that replaced, say, older appliances with newer, more efficient ones.

As well, in an area with frequent enough brownouts or blackouts that could last more than a day, a solar backup can save the dollars lost to replacing food, or needing to wait out repairs while paying for lodging elsewhere, if your daily family needs require power.

An installation also boosts the resale value of a home by several percent, so some ‘recovery’ of money spent could be achieved when selling your home.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:12 pm
So many discussions of solar focus entirely on the ‘return’; far fewer talk of it as an amenity, as you have here.

I’d imagine that some folks are not looking for a solar installation to ‘pay for itself’ any more so than their kitchen upgrade that replaced, say, older appliances with newer, more efficient ones.

As well, in an area with frequent enough brownouts or blackouts that could last more than a day, a solar backup can save the dollars lost to replacing food, or needing to wait out repairs while paying for lodging elsewhere, if your daily family needs require power.

An installation also boosts the resale value of a home by several percent, so some ‘recovery’ of money spent could be achieved when selling your home.
Precisely. I do think there is a lot of overemphasis around here on the direct return from energy savings. I had a neighbor chide me a bit when they were going in. "Did you actually do the math?" kind of stuff. After we talked for a bit, he understood better what my plan was and why I thought it was still a sound decision.

I'll partly blame the companies around my neck of the woods that put it in. The majority of their literature and pitch focuses on energy savings/cost and doesn't focus nearly enough on the other positives. As more and more folks get into it, I'm sure awareness and acceptance will continue to rise. Honestly if I was a new builder, I don't think I'd even put a home in without it.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Xenophon wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:20 pm
Honestly if I was a new builder, I don't think I'd even put a home in without it.
I completely agree. And, that is a very different financial model.

Like your kitchen example, often the most energy efficient and environmentally friendly choice is to just repair and maintain the stuff we already got. That is true for cars and homes and lots of things. When we factor in manufacturing and transportation and sourcing raw materials, would all be better off just sticking to what we have and not upgrading constantly. But, that is not going to happen. So we spend more and buy more and consume more for pleasure, convenience and for investment return.