Gas goes to $9.45/gallon in Mendecino, CA

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: Gas goes to $9.45/gallon in Mendecino, CA

Post by Binger »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:54 pm
I couldn’t have picked a worse time to become a pickup truck owner. Oh well, I guess we’ll be driving our plug-in hybrids a lot and leaving the truck parked.
The wait for fast-charging stations in Paso Robles was up to three hours yesterday. Even the Rivians had to wait it out. Is anyone still asking themselves how Musk can afford to buy Twitter? It ain't because his cars are better. It is because it is more convenient for the people to own a Tesla than to own a Chevy.

Fuel on I5 was over 7 dollars for diesel and about 6.99 or premium gasoline.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Binger wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:24 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
I couldn’t have picked a worse time to become a pickup truck owner. Oh well, I guess we’ll be driving our plug-in hybrids a lot and leaving the truck parked.
The wait for fast-charging stations in Paso Robles was up to three hours yesterday. Even the Rivians had to wait it out. Is anyone still asking themselves how Musk can afford to buy Twitter? It ain't because his cars are better. It is because it is more convenient for the people to own a Tesla than to own a Chevy.

Not sure why anyone would need a super charging station unless they were planning to drive more than 300 miles that day. The economy must be doing great if so many people are able to take cross country road trips. I've never had to wait for a super charge, but then, I don't drive a Rivian. There are over 1,200 Tesla super charging stations in the USA.

And Elon was making his billions well before the gasoline spike. The man is a visionary and a genius who was willing to go all in on something he knew would be the future. It would've been nice if the rest of the industry had already followed suit, because it would've provided more competition.
Last edited by Vēritās on Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Kishkumen wrote:
I was doing this well before the surge in gas prices. Even at $2/gallon it is more cost effective to drive the EV. My Ford Ranger is rarely used at all.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:47 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
I was doing this well before the surge in gas prices. Even at $2/gallon it is more cost effective to drive the EV. My Ford Ranger is rarely used at all.
We own a few Ford Rangers. They are significantly less expensive to own and drive than an EV. I own an EV too. But make no mistake, it is more expensive than driving a Ford Ranger.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Kishkumen wrote:
I'd recommend at least starting it up and driving to the grocery store at least once a week for the good of your truck. I sure do miss being able to haul all my equipment and having my GPS, air conditioned seats, tool box, etc in one vehicle.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:17 pm
I sure do miss being able to haul all my equipment
Sorry? "All my equipment"? You're an optometrist who works out of an office, or so I was led to believe. What is all this stuff you need to haul around, and to do what?

[Edited once to correct incorrect terminology]
Last edited by Chap on Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Binger wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:59 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:47 pm

We own a few Ford Rangers. They are significantly less expensive to own and drive than an EV. I own an EV too. But make no mistake, it is more expensive than driving a Ford Ranger.
What you mean is that it is less expensive to own than your EV.

Ford Rangers are the more economical trucks, but they are still are more expensive to own and maintain than any Tesla Model 3, for example. The last time I filled up the Ranger from empty it cost me about $70. My wife was out of town with the Tesla so I drove about 220 miles in town with the Ranger before I had to top it off again. If I were to drive it every week that's about $300/month just for gas, and that doesn't include the required $30 oil changes every 3,000 miles to maintain the warranty. Meanwhile, a Tesla charges in your garage in about five hours while you're sleeping and it costs about $5 bucks to get a full charge of 300+ miles.

True story. Back in 2015 I was driving a 2013 Kia Sorrento. It had only 54,000 miles on it and as I was picking up my mother-in-law from the airport at 12:20am, when the engine threw a rod. I had to Uber us back to the house. The car was towed to a Kia dealership and it took them three months before they replaced the engine. I was told they weren't going to cover the cost unless I could prove regular oil changes every 3,000 miles. It took me a couple of weeks to get all the receipts because one oil change happened when I was 1,200 miles out of state. So I laugh a little whenever someone tells me an EV isn't worth it because the battery might die and they cost too much. My Kia experience would never have happened had I owned an EV at the time. Neither would my brother's horrible experiences with his Ford Explorer and Ford Edge. Our family has sworn we'll never buy a Ford again. My Ford Ranger's entire electronic system has been on the fritz since I purchased it. My phone connects to the Bluetooth but I can only hear people talking to me, never can they hear me talking back. It is basically a worthless feature. A buddy of mine has worked at car dealerships all his adult life and said Ford is way behind in the electronics dept. I was like, duh.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:17 pm
I'd recommend at least starting it up and driving to the grocery store at least once a week for the good of your truck. I sure do miss being able to haul all my equipment and having my GPS, air conditioned seats, tool box, etc in one vehicle.
Yes, I need to have my wife take it for a spin while I am gone. She said she would. A truck is a magnificent vehicle. Useful in so many ways, and real fun to drive too.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Binger wrote:

We had a level two charger installed at our house this spring. Boy am I glad we did.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:57 pm
Binger wrote:

We had a level two charger installed at our house this spring. Boy am I glad we did.
Well done. While I was at the charging station I met a few people that have installed solar and batteries or are in the process of installing it. In Cali, this is not cost effective but it prevents being subject to brownouts during heat waves and high winds when the utility companies turn everything off.

My friends in El Dorado County where there have been brownouts that lasted over 10 days due to heat have added solar well pumps, 1000 gallon propane tanks and extra wells so they can be completely off the grid. They are also looking at the Rivian and Lightning trucks and waiting to see how they perform. These are all extraordinary options for people that can afford it but it may take a bit of the load off the grid and off of the quick charging stations.