LIV Golf

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

LIV Golf

Post by Some Schmo »

I don't know who here cares about golf or the PGA, or may have been following the recent defection of players to a new Saudi-backed league called LIV Golf, but I do enjoy playing/watching golf, so what's happening lately is interesting.

The list of players includes some pretty big names (Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson and Sergio Garcia are the biggest names), and I just saw a few articles announcing the PGA is suspending any players who agree to play for LIV Golf.

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, competition is good, and maybe this motivates the PGA to improve.

On the other hand, we're talking about Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia, not exactly known as a humanitarian. I don't think the money these guys will be paid is entirely clean, if you know what I mean. It just feels outrageously greedy of these already rich "F"s (the defecting players) to seek even more money than they already earn to play a game, given what we know about the Saudi regime.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Do I think the PGA should have suspended the defecting players? Well, if they are in fact in breach of contract, yes. It's a greyer area if they're doing it just because it's the Saudis (or because it's a competing league, for that matter), but whatever the reason, I'm good with it.

Any golf fans out there?
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jeff
Sunbeam

Re: LIV Golf

Post by Jeff »

dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:32 pm
I don't know who here cares about golf or the PGA, or may have been following the recent defection of players to a new Saudi-backed league called LIV Golf, but I do enjoy playing/watching golf, so what's happening lately is interesting.

The list of players includes some pretty big names (Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson and Sergio Garcia are the biggest names), and I just saw a few articles announcing the PGA is suspending any players who agree to play for LIV Golf.

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, competition is good, and maybe this motivates the PGA to improve.

On the other hand, we're talking about Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia, not exactly known as a humanitarian. I don't think the money these guys will be paid is entirely clean, if you know what I mean. It just feels outrageously greedy of these already rich "F"s (the defecting players) to seek even more money than they already earn to play a game, given what we know about the Saudi regime.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Do I think the PGA should have suspended the defecting players? Well, if they are in fact in breach of contract, yes. It's a greyer area if they're doing it just because it's the Saudis (or because it's a competing league, for that matter), but whatever the reason, I'm good with it.

Any golf fans out there?
Luckily, for me, most of the players on the list I don't really care for anyway.

Sergio is in my top 5 most disliked sports action figures of all time. I once watched him hit his caddy with a club head cover because he made a bad shot and blamed the caddy for giving him wrong yardage.

Ian Poulter is in my top 10. He has always talked like he thinks he's better than he is.

Ratrick Peed. - Top 20 most disliked. Pick a reason. He's got em covered

Bryson D. - Arrogant ass.

I like D.J. but I've always held it against him that in his early days he liked to bed other players wives.

I'm a bit disappointed in Charl S., Louie O. and Graeme Mc., but, they're from a different side of the planet, so, whatever.

Phil M. - Disappointed.

Rory Mc. - top 5 most liked. Told LIV to piss off.

What do you shoot Schmo? I'm always high 90's, but I did shoot an 89 a couple of mths. ago. With the standard 2 mulligans.

List - https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/wha ... n-johnson/
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

dantana wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:23 am
Luckily, for me, most of the players on the list I don't really care for anyway.
I could say the same. Mickelson is the least surprising to me, and feels like the poster boy for money grabbing in this scenario.
Rory Mc. - top 5 most liked. Told LIV to piss off.
I'm a big fan of his myself. I saw him play in the US Open in 2011 when he won (we went to the Saturday round).
What do you shoot Schmo? I'm always high 90's, but I did shoot an 89 a couple of mths. ago. With the standard 2 mulligans.
I'm about the same. One day I got hot and shot a 44 on 9 holes (par 36 - no mulligans). That was my best ever.

The weird thing about my game is that I can rarely put all facets together on the same day. If I'm driving well, my putting sucks; that sort of thing. I can do all the things you have to be able to do in golf, just inconsistently. I've made just enough amazing shots to put up with all the others (the majority of them).
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I watched a little of the LIV Golf coverage and found it tough to continue watching for more than a few minutes. We aren't seeing the best golfers, yet, like we do on the pga tour.

The only reason I would want to watch Mickelson is to see if he still has it against the best and the LIV field with the exception of Dustin Johnson isn't quite there. Dechambeau and Reid will make it more interesting. Perhaps more of the top players will be lured by the money but that remains to be seen.

My guess is that there is tremendous pressure being put on the USGA by the PGA to ban the LIV players from future US Opens and other majors. They will be allowed to play this year in the US Open, but who knows in the future. It would be a knife in the back of the PGA tour commissioner if one of the LIV golfers won the US Open or the Open Championship next month. Golf broadcast execs probably relish the fight as it will probably be a ratings boost if LIV golfers do well in the majors, if they are continually allowed to play in them, that is.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I thought McIlroy's comment about the round today providing significantly better golf for spectators and fans than other golf they may have available captured the PGA's best game plan.

How many alternatives are there to other major sports leagues like the NFL, NBA, etc? When in Utah I loved to catch Grizzlies games and would go to an occasional Buzz game. But that was because seeing a local game live was fun, the price was right, and the players were striving to get called up. Every attempt in my lifetime to compete with the NFL has flopped hard. The talent gap was the big reason why.

My impression is the LIV is attempting to do to golf what T20 did for cricket in India. It may be that MBS and co aren't trying to compete with the PGA in the US and UK. Rather, like T20 they may be seeking to modernize the game for the eSports international fanbase with a major appeal to online gambling groups and other markets who might better appreciate a faster, snappier, gamified holes-style of play over patient skill and endurance required for tournament play.

I suspect the real test for LIV will be in how effectively their players can win sponsors. Where that money goes likely lies the future.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:04 pm

My impression is the LIV is attempting to do to golf what T20 did for cricket in India. It may be that MBS and co aren't trying to compete with the PGA in the US and UK. Rather, like T20 they may be seeking to modernize the game for the eSports international fanbase with a major appeal to online gambling groups and other markets who might better appreciate a faster, snappier, gamified holes-style of play over skill and endurance.
WOW!

I take it you have never been to a Big Bash match. I would bet my life that you have not. Admittedly, I have only been to three matches in person but it is the only league I will pay for a league pass to watch. Oops, not true. I also pay to follow the Brisbane Lions and my Mum's Port Adelaide Crows but I have not done that this year.

Big Bash Cricket put cricket back on the metaphorical map. The players can still play in Test Cricket, and they do. They did not try to create a competing league, they succeeded in creating a derivative game that is fun and exciting. There have been up to 80k in attendance at intercity matches.

If in fact the intent of LIV is to do to golf what Big Bash did to Cricket, then Godspeed. I think they will succeed. The match format and shotgun starts are brilliant. Shortening the competition from 72 to 54 holes, awesome. Limiting the field to only 18 sets of players in a shotgun start, genius. Hurting everyone's feelings, brilliant.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Binger wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:39 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:04 pm

My impression is the LIV is attempting to do to golf what T20 did for cricket in India. It may be that MBS and co aren't trying to compete with the PGA in the US and UK. Rather, like T20 they may be seeking to modernize the game for the eSports international fanbase with a major appeal to online gambling groups and other markets who might better appreciate a faster, snappier, gamified holes-style of play over skill and endurance.
Big Bash Cricket put cricket back on the metaphorical map. The players can still play in Test Cricket, and they do. They did not try to create a competing league, they succeeded in creating a derivative game that is fun and exciting. There have been up to 80k in attendance at intercity matches.

If in fact the intent of LIV is to do to golf what Big Bash did to Cricket, then Godspeed. I think they will succeed. The match format and shotgun starts are brilliant. Shortening the competition from 72 to 54 holes, awesome. Limiting the field to only 18 sets of players in a shotgun start, genius. Hurting everyone's feelings, brilliant.
I think you missed and hit on my point at the same time. If you read the criticism of LIV in my post as a criticism of T20, whiff. I do think the conversation about LIV and the PGA should broaden to consider it. Though one can't help but note the inability of our Cultellus to avoid infusing any discussion with some populist-fueled bile. Referring to the last sentence quoted above in case you are butthurt about the remark. Being butthurt against the world being the essence of Cultellus...
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Speaking of butthurt, it's no surprise that Trump would host a couple LIV tournaments, given that he's a whiney piece of crap who doesn't give a damn about America, and couldn't maintain a relationship with the PGA.

I haven't watched any LIV golf, because I like watching the best golfers in the world. None of the defectors are very likeable people in the first place, and they're all on the downside of their careers (Cameron Smith is the only exception - him signing with LIV is only partially surprising, though, given he doesn't make good life decisions, which I'm basing on his screwed up hair style). I've never been a fan of any of them. Frankly, I'm glad they left the field.

Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:45 pm
Speaking of butthurt, it's no surprise that Trump would host a couple LIV tournaments, given that he's a whiney piece of crap who doesn't give a damn about America, and couldn't maintain a relationship with the PGA.

I haven't watched any LIV golf, because I like watching the best golfers in the world. None of the defectors are very likeable people in the first place, and they're all on the downside of their careers (Cameron Smith is the only exception - him signing with LIV is only partially surprising, though, given he doesn't make good life decisions, which I'm basing on his screwed up hair style). I've never been a fan of any of them. Frankly, I'm glad they left the field.
Those players are all going to miss you a lot. I think they might be sad that you are not watching them hit that little white ball.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: