Just finished watching NBC's special report on the Jan 6 commission's findings.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Just finished watching NBC's special report on the Jan 6 commission's findings.

Post by Gunnar »

I can hardly wait to see how leading Republicans try to rationalize away its conclusions. Watching how badly they discredit and make fools of themselves is bound to be hilarious!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Just finished watching NBC's special report on the Jan 6 commission's findings.

Post by Jersey Girl »

You totally scooped me, Gunnar! I'm still finishing up after an in real life pause. It's so well put together. Fascinating!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Re: Just finished watching NBC's special report on the Jan 6 commission's findings.

Post by dantana »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:17 am
I can hardly wait to see how leading Republicans try to rationalize away its conclusions.
Since I have a lot of right side Facebook friends, I see the constant stream of every BS conspiracy theory known to man. One thing I haven't seen though is any real effort to meme out the Jan 6 commission and Trumps connection to it. Not sure why that is. Idiocy unlimited seems to be lacking in that regard just now.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Not that it’ll ever matter to our GQP fascists, but:

(From R/bestof)
Recap of what we know so far regarding Trump's efforts to overturn the election:

-Trump tried to extort the country of Ukraine for political dirt on Biden. He was impeached over it.

-He tried to weaponize COVID-19 politically by waging a war on mail-in ballots, which he knew would favor Democrats.

-Him and DeJoy tried to manipulate the USPS.

-Systematically and intentionally promoted The Big Lie that the election was stolen, which tens of millions of people have come to believe.

-Tried to get electors to illegally cast their votes.

-Him, his lawyers, and allies filed 60+ ridiculous lawsuits for lower courts to overturn the election (with zero evidence), oftentimes not even arguing there was fraud in court, yet claiming it in public.

-Supported an absolutely absurd case for the Supreme Court to overturn the election (with zero evidence).

-Summoned Michigan GOP members to attempt to subvert election results.

-He undoubtedly provoked his AG's resignation a few weeks after the election, who soon-before felt compelled to announce there was "No widespread fraud."

-Attended a meeting which floated martial law.

-Told election officials to "stop counting"

-Suggested the military should force states to rehold elections.

-Tried to get the VP to illegally name him President.

-Called the PA Speaker of the House in an attempt to overturn the results.

-Pressured Governor Brian Kemp to push the state legislature to overturn the election.

-Threatened the GA Secretary of State with legal consequences if he did not find enough votes to overturn the election.

-Tried to get an insane conspiracy theorist to lead a special counsel.

-Defied and fired his own election security officials.

-Purged key Pentagon positions after the election.

-Ordered the Pentagon to stop working with Biden's transition team

-Had a draft declaration which instructed the military to seize ballots.

-Directly told the DOJ to lie about the election. "Just say the election was corrupt and leave the rest to me and the R. Congressmen"

-Pressured the DOJ to file a lawsuit to the Supreme Court to nullify the election.

-Plotted the logistics of overturning the election via powerpoint with White House staff.

-Plotted the logistics of overturning the election with his lawyer, John Eastman. A federal judge, after seeing the evidence, has now suggested multiple times both Trump and Eastman's efforts "more likely than not" constitute felonies.

-Incited a violent insurrection on U.S. Capitol to stop the certification of Joe Biden.
Inb4 whatabouts that have nothing to do with a federal insurrection. -_-

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Any other person in the world would already be in jail for life and have been convicted. How does Trump continually avoid prosecution and incarceration?!?
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:39 am
Any other person in the world would already be in jail for life and have been convicted. How does Trump continually avoid prosecution and incarceration?!?
He typically leaves no "paper trail". He gets others to act on his behalf. Think about how he chose his words at the rally before the insurrection. Think about what he didn't say. Think about how the crowd read between the lines and instinctively knew what he wanted and then acted on it.

I firmly believe that's how he approaches everyone who has ever been on his business or political team. That's how he manipulates them and gets them to do what he wants without ever saying it outright or putting it in writing. I do think some of his phone recordings are going to factor in even going back to the phone call with Zelensky and lord knows how many other similar contacts he's made.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:11 am
He typically leaves no "paper trail". He gets others to act on his behalf. Think about how he chose his words at the rally before the insurrection. Think about what he didn't say. Think about how the crowd read between the lines and instinctively knew what he wanted and then acted on it.

I firmly believe that's how he approaches everyone who has ever been on his business or political team. That's how he manipulates them and gets them to do what he wants without ever saying it outright or putting it in writing. I do think some of his phone recordings are going to factor in even going back to the phone call with Zelensky and lord knows how many other similar contacts he's made.
Great analysis of how he manipulates people to do his bidding. Any of his subordinates who fail to "read between the lines" and do what he wants, even if illegal, is fired for disloyalty to him. Then if they get into legal trouble and get indicted for breaking the law on Trump's behalf, he can claim that he never actually told them to do that and throws them under the bus for being lawbreakers. Loyalty is only a one-way street with him. It astounds me how many otherwise seemingly intelligent and well-informed people somehow fail to see how incorrigibly selfish and corrupt he is and how risky it is to associate themselves with him.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:17 am
I can hardly wait to see how leading Republicans try to rationalize away its conclusions. Watching how badly they discredit and make fools of themselves is bound to be hilarious!
They have abandoned scruples, honor, and American democracy. Nothing the overwhelming majority of Republicans have to offer will be of any value.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Here’s the January 6th video that was posted here before, but I can’t seem to find it, so you get Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrazyFuckingVi ... _6th_2021/

That was a violent insurrection. Period.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

In reply to his daughter's testimony that she (along with, well, everyone but Trump and his cultists) didn't believe the Big Lie, Trump Tweeted Truth Socialed:
Ivanka Trump was not involved in looking at, or studying, Election results. She had long since checked out and was, in my opinion, only trying to be respectful to Bill Barr and his position as Attorney General (he sucked!)