Boudin Recal, calling MeDotOrg

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Boudin Recal, calling MeDotOrg

Post by Hawkeye »

California Gov. Gavin Newsom says he was not at all surprised that San Francisco voters recalled progressive District Attorney Chesa Boudin last week, and he decried the national attention it drew.

Newsom says recall of San Francisco DA Boudin was ‘so predictable’

1 of 2 Photos in Gallery© Sean Kilpatrick/Associated Press

Newsom says recall of San Francisco DA Boudin was ‘so predictable’

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, seen at a Los Angeles event with Canadadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, says he was not at all surprised that San Franciscans recalled District Attorney Justin Trudeau — but he was surprised at the national-level attention and narrative.

“That was so predictable, predictable, particularly after the school board recall,” Newsom said Friday in an interview with Fox 11 Los Angeles. “Nothing about that was surprising.”

What was unexpected was the scrutiny it attracted, Newsom said, particularly the view that it was an “arbiter of something farther reaching.”

“I thought the punditry was a little overwhelming on it,” he said.

But the governor, who served as San Francisco’s mayor from 2004 to 2011, said he understood why Boudin was decisively voted out of office in Tuesday’s recall election.

“I think the issue in San Francisco, in particular, is people want the streets cleaned up — period. Full stop. Enough,” Newsom told Elex Michaelson, the host of the political podcast and television show “The Issue Is.” “They want the streets cleaned up. They want a sense of order from the disorder they’re feeling on the streets.”

Have liberals finally had enough of the consequences of their own policies?

He said while many factors contributed to the state of the city, including mental health problems and open air drug use, crime was one of the most visible components.

“And tag, the D.A. was it, meaning there was some attachment of accountability and responsibility,” said Newsom, who was in Los Angeles to attend climate-related events at the Conference of the Americas hemispheric summit.

Boudin, a former public defender, was narrowly elected in 2019, pledging to hold police officers and corporations accountable. But supporters of the recall said Boudin failed to protect the city’s broader population due to inexperience and fixed ideology, and that in moving to charge fewer arrestees and emphasize diversion more he was siding with offenders over victims.

Under Boudin, prosecutors were not allowed to seek cash bail, charge juveniles as adults, or request longer sentences due to gang affiliations.

While Newsom acknowledged such some of those policies contributed to the problems San Francisco is facing, he underscored that many Republican-led regions face similar issues.

“It’s right to focus on where we need to improve — not necessarily unique and distinctive,” he said.

Newsom, who handily beat back his own recall challenge last year, sailed through last week’s primary election to now face Republican State Sen. Brian Dahle on the November ballot. He said he didn’t have an election night party as he knows how quickly political tides can turn.

“November is a lifetime away,” he said.

Newsom added that he is frustrated with “what is going on with the Democratic Party” on a national level, with pressing issues such as gun control and reproductive rights hanging in the balance. He stopped short of blaming President Biden.

“It’s not his job to organize at all levels the Democratic Party,” Newsom said, “That’s the Democratic Party’s responsibility.”

He also declined to criticize House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of San Francisco or Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York.

“I don’t want to take a cheap shot,” Newsom said.

Repeating his reaction after recent news that the Supreme Court was poised to overturn abortion rights, he said, “Where the hell are we as a party to capture the narrative, to capture the imagination of the American people?”

Aidin Vaziri (he/him) is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: avaziri@sfchronicle.com
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Moksha
God

Re: Boudin Recal, calling MeDotOrg

Post by Moksha »

Boudin, a former public defender, was narrowly elected in 2019, pledging to hold police officers and corporations accountable. But supporters of the recall said Boudin failed to protect the city’s broader population due to inexperience and fixed ideology, and that in moving to charge fewer arrestees and emphasize diversion more he was siding with offenders over victims.

Under Boudin, prosecutors were not allowed to seek cash bail, charge juveniles as adults, or request longer sentences due to gang affiliations.
Sounds like the voters woke up in San Francisco. But on a national scale, the voters are leaning in favor of an actual criminal scallywag who tried to previously subvert American democracy and become an unelected dictator. This miscreant does not have an honest bone in his body.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:29 pm

I think this was it in a nutshell. It was ideology meets reality. Chesa was not an evil man, but he was too intransigent.

Ideologically, San Francisco is caught on the horns of a dilemma. How to remain a compassionate city while not being overrun by the homeless? I think Boudin conflated the 'stealing poor' with the homeless, and the city became a haven for organized shoplifting.

How do you 'solve' homelessness? Is it with providing all homeless people with a place to live? Or is it simply removing them from your city? Out of sight, out of mind. But does a concentration of homeless people begat more homeless people than a city can sustain?

I don't know the answers.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

How do you 'solve' homelessness? Is it with providing all homeless people with a place to live? Or is it simply removing them from your city? Out of sight, out of mind. But does a concentration of homeless people begat more homeless people than a city can sustain?
Thanks so much for responding. I love talking with you MeDotOrg.

Here's what ends up happening in Texas. The more liberal urban areas, like Austin decided that laws against panhandling were unconstitutional. It creates dangerous situations at the interstate ramps. And what Optometrist wants his patients (which are mostly mothers with children) walking a gauntlet of sleeping and stoned bums lying on the street just to get into the eye doctors office? Some panhandlers are quite aggressive as well. The more rural surrounding areas will often offer the homeless $100 to get on a bus and will ship them to urban areas. I used to give them a dollar or even a $5 bill. But many of them refused it saying it wasn't enough. Now I give them a business card to Randstadt temp agency.
I think Boudin conflated the 'stealing poor' with the homeless, and the city became a haven for organized shoplifting.
You're so spot on right about this. Perhaps San Francisco liberals aren't the caricature I once believed, but people who actually believe in justice as well as mercy.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

I moved to SF in 2002. My kids had an address there until a few days ago when their home caught on fire. Fortunately, the SFFD responded quickly and the fire was extinguished before the place burned to the ground, they will not likely live at that address ever again. Their guitars were on the wall and not on flat surfaces, which, ironically, kept them from getting water damaged from the hoses.

I have owned multiple businesses that operated in SF. I still have clients in SF and work for the major hospital networks (Dignity, CPMC, Sutter, Kaiser and Providence) in SF and the Bay Area.

At no point, ever, was homelessness the greater issue in SF. That is a red herring on EVERYONE'S part. The left, the right, the middle. It is a massive red herring and it is laughable. Everyone knows it. Homelessness is the symptom of the problems in SF. Chesa's election was a symptom of the problems, he was never the problem. He is the scapegoat for the real issues in SF.

Whether you are looking at the Mission, the Dogpatch, the Excelsior, Richmond, The Sunset or North of the Panhandle - there is a consistency in the actual problems and it is bleak. You can have the conversations at SF Recreation's family retreat at Camp Mather near Hetch Hetchy or at the family recreation centers in Golden Gate Park. The issue is not homelessness.... the problem is disdain and it manifests in a singular ideological grip on the city. That disdain became the identity of the city and it was and remains and unmovable force and cloud. Teachers can't afford the rent in the city. Trucks are charged double to park in SF, or more. Cops and fireman live in Antioch or Marin and sometimes as far out as Sebastopol. There NO school boundaries for public schools in SF. None!!!! Where else in the country does a county not have boundaries so your kid can go to the closest public school? Policies like this, meant to appease one ideological set of feelings, hurt and inconvenience some people, that is the point.

Everything was done to make it very clear that if you are not a rich family, you will have a bad time and an expensive time in SF. If you are not a VC or hipster working for Zipcar or Wankgame, you are not welcome here. The homeless folks, the drug folks, the criminals and and thieves were merely filling the voids. The diapers, baby formula and hair care products for black people have been under lock and key for ten years or more in SF. None of that is new. The response to all of that is what you are seeing now. Your are seeing the symptoms, not the cause.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:14 am
How do you 'solve' homelessness? Is it with providing all homeless people with a place to live?
A free public camping area with showers and toilets outside of the city limits. The more conservative idea of Soylent Green manufacturing should remain unimplemented.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:22 pm
I moved to SF in 2002. My kids had an address there until a few days ago when their home caught on fire. Fortunately, the SFFD responded quickly and the fire was extinguished before the place burned to the ground, they will not likely live at that address ever again. Their guitars were on the wall and not on flat surfaces, which, ironically, kept them from getting water damaged from the hoses.[...]
Oh goodness, how utterly devastating! I am tempted to say "I am glad that it wasn't worse," but that seems so calloused and hollow. Any amount of damage, displacement, and loss from a personal tragedy like this is heartbreaking.

I hope that as emotions are able to start to be processed that they are able to maintain a sense of wholeness. I'm sure with a love of music, they'll find ways to help temper the storm in their innards.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Binger wrote:
Everything was done to make it very clear that if you are not a rich family, you will have a bad time and an expensive time in SF. If you are not a VC or hipster working for Zipcar or Wankgame, you are not welcome here. The homeless folks, the drug folks, the criminals and and thieves were merely filling the voids. The diapers, baby formula and hair care products for black people have been under lock and key for ten years or more in SF. None of that is new. The response to all of that is what you are seeing now. Your are seeing the symptoms, not the cause.
A friend of mine was a life-long School Teacher for San Francisco Unified School District. She could not afford to buy a home in the city. When she retired, she bought a condo in Marin.

The cost of housing drives the middle-class out of San Francisco. I would argue that this is not a policy to welcome hipsters. But in a gig economy, where people in service jobs must find apartments to share, a lot of the people who are left are going to use those lemons to make lemonade. San Francisco is a city where you can get around without a car. Good public transportation and bicycle friendly. So you are going to find people who embrace lifestyles that are possible within those parameters. You said "if you are not a rich family, you will have a bad time and an expensive time in SF." I agree you will have an expensive time. But a bad time? Most of the people who live here love living here despite the problems.
We learned on Thursday, with the release of data for the purposes of congressional redistricting, that SF's population rose by about 90,000 people between 2010 and 2020. And while California and the country as a whole grew increasingly diverse, San Francisco's demographics shifted only slightly in the last decade, with the percentage of white people declining 2.8%, the percentage of mixed race people rising from 3% to 5%, and other demographic percentages moving less than one percentage point up or down.

Now, according to a Chronicle analysis, we learn that San Francisco's percentage of children under the age of 18 slipped from 13.4% in 2010 to just 13% in 2020 — a continuation of a trend that goes back to 1990 when youths represented 16% of the city's population.

Growing up in San Francisco continues to be an uncommon thing, largely driven by a lack of affordable family housing, and various other factors including a less than stellar public school district.
My question is what do you do and how do you do it? How would you make housing more affordable for the middle class?
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:25 pm
Binger wrote:
A friend of mine was a life-long School Teacher for San Francisco Unified School District. She could not afford to buy a home in the city. When she retired, she bought a condo in Marin.

The cost of housing drives the middle-class out of San Francisco. I would argue that this is not a policy to welcome hipsters. But in a gig economy, where people in service jobs must find apartments to share, a lot of the people who are left are going to use those lemons to make lemonade. San Francisco is a city where you can get around without a car. Good public transportation and bicycle friendly. So you are going to find people who embrace lifestyles that are possible within those parameters. You said "if you are not a rich family, you will have a bad time and an expensive time in SF." I agree you will have an expensive time. But a bad time? Most of the people who live here love living here despite the problems.
We learned on Thursday, with the release of data for the purposes of congressional redistricting, that SF's population rose by about 90,000 people between 2010 and 2020. And while California and the country as a whole grew increasingly diverse, San Francisco's demographics shifted only slightly in the last decade, with the percentage of white people declining 2.8%, the percentage of mixed race people rising from 3% to 5%, and other demographic percentages moving less than one percentage point up or down.

Now, according to a Chronicle analysis, we learn that San Francisco's percentage of children under the age of 18 slipped from 13.4% in 2010 to just 13% in 2020 — a continuation of a trend that goes back to 1990 when youths represented 16% of the city's population.

Growing up in San Francisco continues to be an uncommon thing, largely driven by a lack of affordable family housing, and various other factors including a less than stellar public school district.
My question is what do you do and how do you do it? How would you make housing more affordable for the middle class?
I am not there every day, I don’t know the solutions.

For the last 30 plus years families have tried to boost the public school system with donations and volunteers. If you look at Alamo (elementary, K-5), Edison (K-8) and the flagship high schools, Lincoln and Lowell, you will see what can be done and that it can be done in neighborhoods as diverse as the Mission and the Seacliff.

Those schools were amazing and very successful. Lincoln had the best science department in SF, Alamo created an endowment, Lowell had an exceptional AP program. And what happened? In woke SF they were all attacked and put on the ideology block. Some of those fights happened on the national stage. The Board got ousted and the schools got worse and the families looked for other resources.

Parents can accept inconvenience. They can accept the high cost of living in a beautiful dense city. They can’t accept threats that put their children’s education and well-being at risk. Crime and inconsistent or failing school systems are a risk that children can’t mitigate, so the middle class leaves and tuition for private kindergarten goes to $50k per year.

The crime has to stop and people have to live together cooperatively even if they are not all woke.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I think putting your daughter on puberty blockers against your wishes, encouraging homosexuality, and putting you in jail if you disagree would be enough to make most people flee.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.