Traveling to Greece

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Traveling to Greece

Post by Gunnar »

Just enjoy your trip. I'm sure most of us look forward to hearing about any nuggets of knowledge and wisdom you may gain during it that you would find appropriate to share with us.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Hey Kish! Glad to see the arrangements finally got made. Have FUN in Greece and learn lots so we can have some good phone conversations a little later. It will be fantastic to get back into the subject of entheogens and prophets and gods...
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Popping in to thank everyone for the good wishes. I just got up from a brief nap on the couch of the little hotel where we are staying. The flight got a little exciting. The pilot aborted the landing in Philadelphia on the first leg of the trip. We hit the tarmac hard and then pulled back into the air, circling back around to land. On the second leg two middle-aged men—1 Greek, 1 American—nearly came to blows. The American looked like a refugee from Duck Dynasty. He was abrasive, rude, and clashing with several other passengers. The Greek guy repeatedly said to him, “We don’t need low-class hillbillies in Greece; go home!”

The drive from Athens to Desfina was two hours. We passed Mt. Helicon and Mt. Parnassus on the way in. First thing in Desfina we saw the apothiki where pottery is being reconstructed and preserved. I met most of the crew and had some Greek coffee. We talked about doing a ground survey of Echedameia, a Hellenistic city that was destroyed by Philip II during the Third Sacred War. There is no agreement on its precise location, so work on that would be a real contribution.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:48 pm
Popping in to thank everyone for the good wishes. I just got up from a brief nap on the couch of the little hotel where we are staying. The flight got a little exciting. The pilot aborted the landing in Philadelphia on the first leg of the trip. We hit the tarmac hard and then pulled back into the air, circling back around to land. On the second leg two middle-aged men—1 Green, 1 American—nearly came to blows. The American looked like a refugee from Duck Dynasty. He was abrasive, rude, and clashing with several other passengers. The Greek guy repeatedly said to him, “We don’t need low-class hillbillies in Greece; go home!”

The drive from Athens to Desfina was two hours. We passed Mt. Helicon and Mt. Parnassus on the way in. First thing in Desfina we saw the apothiki where pottery is being reconstructed and preserved. I met most of the crew and had some Greek coffee. We talked about doing a ground survey of Echedameia, a Hellenistic city that was destroyed by Philip II during the Third Sacred War. There is no agreement on its precise location, so work on that would be a real contribution.
This is the good stuff. I had to google four different items. What an interesting opportunity.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:43 pm
I had to google four different items.
In my case it was just one item, 'Duck Dynasty'. This show has not, to my knowledge, crossed the pond. Or perhaps it has, and I am just too uncool to have watched it. From the description, I am happy with my decision to stay that way.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

When I was young, I really liked flying. The whole experience of seeing the world from the air, like a huge diorama. As I got older, I started to get more nervous about flying. Nothing that would prevent me taking a trip, but the normal creaks and groans of an aircraft began to bother me.

Here's an article about coping with fear of flying. Hope it has some tips you find useful.

Have a great trip.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

I would love to visit Greece. Praying for your travel.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

msnobody wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:32 pm
I would love to visit Greece. Praying for your travel.
Thank you! It is really neat. Turkey’s Greek cities are also must-see destinations.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:50 pm
When I was young, I really liked flying. The whole experience of seeing the world from the air, like a huge diorama. As I got older, I started to get more nervous about flying. Nothing that would prevent me taking a trip, but the normal creaks and groans of an aircraft began to bother me.

Here's an article about coping with fear of flying. Hope it has some tips you find useful.

Have a great trip.
Thank you, MeDotOrg!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

This evening we went into downtown Desfina and ate at a little gyro restaurant with reasonable prices. Non-tourist Greece is very reasonable. The gyros were so much better than the ones you get in the US, even the pita bread is so much better. I drank a couple of Fix beers (Fix is a Greek brand with 5% alcohol). The beers were 1.5 Euros a piece! And pretty tasty. We ran into the Greek physicist who is our partner in the excavation having a coffee in the town square. There was a monument close by to Isaias, bishop of Salona, who very nearby raised the flag of Greek independence from the Turks. I plan to visit the Isaias museum in town while I am here. The sunset was lovely, the air cool and dry. Being in Greece feels wonderful.