Traveling to Greece

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
msnobody
First Presidency

Re: Traveling to Greece

Post by msnobody »

I am so happy that you are getting to do this and with the possibility of returning in the future.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:01 pm
So what am I doing here? The American director is a friend from graduate school. Right before COVID I asked him about his summer plans with the motive of asking to go along. He was thrilled to oblige me, but COVID put it off until now. This year we are getting the operation up and running again, and next year new sites at the citadel will be excavated. I am hoping to be able to return for future seasons.
Is there a German word for happiness caused by news of others' good fortune? Nope. So Pali "Muditā" will have to do the job.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Today we are visiting the Pythia at Delphi. The museum is amazing. Now we are at lunch, and I am trying papoutsaki for the first time. It is scrumptious! Eggplant stuffed with minced meat and bechamel sauce. Outstanding! The restaurant is Phivos, and it offers majestic views of the valley and Corinthian Gulf.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:11 am
Today we are visiting the Pythia at Delphi. The museum is amazing. Now we are at lunch, and I am trying papoutsakia for the first time. It is scrumptious! Eggplant stuffed with minced meat and bechamel sauce. Outstanding! The restaurant is Phivos, and it offers majestic views of the valley and Corinthian Gulf.
Checked out pictures online and it looks beautiful. Such a cultural experience. I'm jealous.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:11 am
Today we are visiting the Pythia at Delphi. The museum is amazing. Now we are at lunch, and I am trying papoutsakia for the first time. It is scrumptious! Eggplant stuffed with minced meat and bechamel sauce. Outstanding! The restaurant is Phivos, and it offers majestic views of the valley and Corinthian Gulf.
Yup. That is a nice restaurant! Did you find a suitably dazed-looking Greek lady in the ruins (possibly puffing on a joint) through whom to put your query to the god?

Of course you chose a restaurant bearing the god's name ...
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

msnobody wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:16 pm
Checked out pictures online and it looks beautiful. Such a cultural experience. I'm jealous.
So many ancient sites in the Mediterranean are worth seeing, but I think Delphi is still special.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Chap wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:20 pm
Yup. That is a nice restaurant! Did you find a suitably dazed-looking Greek lady in the ruins (possibly puffing on a joint) through whom to put your query to the god?

The Greek professor we are working with on the excavation has family roots in Desfina and Delphi. He knows the owner of Phivos and recommends the place highly. I did not, unfortunately, find a suitably dazed Greek woman in the ruins, but I saw where she likely sat, and I felt the charge of imagining what it must have been like to consult her!

Yes, I noticed we ended up in a restaurant named after Apollo. I guess the poor guy still gets some attention after all these thousands of years.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:39 pm
Chap wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:20 pm

The Greek professor we are working with on the excavation has family roots in Desfina and Delphi. He knows the owner of Phivos and recommends the place highly. I did not, unfortunately, find a suitably dazed Greek woman in the ruins, but I saw where she likely sat, and I felt the charge of imagining what it must have been like to consult her!

Yes, I noticed we ended up in a restaurant named after Apollo. I guess the poor guy still gets some attention after all these thousands of years.
He gets it daily, whether humans realize it or not... :lol:
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Today was my final day excavating at the site. We were finding some good stuff, so our Greek minder became very concerned and shut us down for the day. Tomorrow because of a scheduling conflict, we will have no minder, so we can’t dig. Saturday I leave Greece for the US. After lunch, I went to the apothiki and took photos of the finds. Most everything is Mycenaean pottery bits, but there are also some animal and human remains. I wasn’t asked to take pics of the remains, because in the apothiki I was working under a world-class ceramics expert, not anthropologist or biologist.

How will we spend tomorrow? Going to see other ancient sites, a museum at Amphissa, and shopping. We will have a BBQ my last evening here. I leave for the airport at 7 am Saturday. Bye-bye, Desfina. Bye-bye, Greece.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:46 pm
Today was my final day excavating at the site. We were finding some good stuff, so our Greek minder became very concerned and shut us down for the day. Tomorrow because of a scheduling conflict, we will have no minder, so we can’t dig. Saturday I leave Greece for the US. After lunch, I went to the apothiki and took photos of the finds. Most everything is Mycenaean potter bits, but there are also some animal and human remains. I wasn’t asked to take picks of the remains, because in the apothiki I was working under a world-class ceramics expert.

How will we spend tomorrow? Going to see other ancient sites, a museum at Amphissa, and shopping. We will have a BBQ my last evening here. I leave for the airport at 7 am Saturday. Bye-bye, Desfina. Bye-bye, Greece.
We’ve enjoyed following along. Thanks for the updates, Kish.