Juneteenth Federal Holiday information.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Juneteenth Federal Holiday information.

Post by Jersey Girl »

I wanted to post this as a heads up of hopefully helpful information because quite frankly, it wasn't even on my own radar because it is relatively new to me. It may not be on yours either. It will take a while I am sure...

What's open, what's closed on Juneteenth

(CNN)This year marks the second year Juneteenth will be observed as a federal holiday.

June 19 commemorates the day in 1865 when enslaved people in Texas were told by Union Army Gen. Gordon Granger that they had been liberated. Granger's announcement came almost three years after the Emancipation Proclamation. President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863, as the nation approached its third year of bloody civil war. The proclamation declared "that all persons held as slaves" within the rebellious states "are, and henceforward shall be free."
President Joe Biden's announcement last year did not give every government agency enough time to act accordingly and cease operations. However, this year all federal agencies, some state governments and some stores will be closed the Monday following Juneteenth celebrations throughout the weekend.

Post Office and Mail Services

US post offices will be closed and mail will not be delivered from the USPS on Monday, June 20.

On Sunday, certain UPS locations will remain open but will only deliver through their Express Critical services, pausing all other deliveries until Monday.

FedEx will be operating under their regular hours on Sunday and Monday.

Banks

Because the federal bank reserve will be observing Juneteenth on Monday most banks will be closed including Bank of America, Wells Fargo and JP Morgan. However, TD Bank will be closed Sunday, as is their normal schedule, and will be open Monday.
US financial markets

Wall Street will observe the holiday on Monday. The New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq will be closed and not have active trading hours.

School and government agencies

All federal offices and schools will be closed on Monday.
However, not every state recognizes Juneteenth as a state holiday, meaning some state government offices may remain open.
States that currently do not recognize Juneteenth as a state holiday include: Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Tennessee and Wisconsin.

Retail
Most stores and restaurants will remain open on Juneteenth for regular hours.

Nike confirmed to Axios that they will close their retail and distribution centers on Sunday and close corporate headquarters on Monday.

Nike, Target and Best Buy were among the stores who made Juneteenth a company holiday with paid time off in 2020. Although corporate headquarters of companies like Apple, Twitter, Target, Lyft and Zillow will be closed Monday, the retail stores and services will be operating under normal hours.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/19/politics ... index.html
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Juneteenth Federal Holiday information.

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

These are the federal holidays where feds get time off:

Friday, December 31 * New Year's Day
Monday, January 17 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, February 21 ** Washington’s Birthday
Monday, May 30 Memorial Day
Monday, June 20 * Juneteenth National Independence Day
Monday, July 04 Independence Day
Monday, September 05 Labor Day
Monday, October 10 Columbus Day
Friday, November 11 Veterans Day
Thursday, November 24 Thanksgiving Day
Monday, December 26 * Christmas Day

If I had my druthers I’d get rid of President’s Day, Columbus Day, and consolidate Memorial and Veterans Day. I would be open to changing Columbus Day to First Nations’ Day (I prefer that term over Native Americans). I’m not passionate about federal holidays, so whatever the feds want to do is up to them. Just my two cents.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I'm going to do this before Gunnar gets in here and does it because that is just the type of persnickety person he is. ;)

February 16th is Lincoln's birthday.
February 22nd is Washington's birthday.

Both used to be federal holidays until they were combined into President's Day which I agree with you, I could live without. Moving on...

I want to think more about the military related suggestions you made. People don't know one from the other anyway (which irritates the heck out of me when people wish others a Happy Memorial Day) so I'm in favor of consolidating, I'm not sure how.

Why not lump them into one with Armed Forces Day (not currently a Fed holiday)?

Then folks can do their BBQ deal, visit the cemeteries, go to a parade, and tour military bases if they want as their circumstances dictate.

Keep Independence Day as is of course.

Columbus Day needs to go away.

First Nation's Day--yes!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:33 am
I'm going to do this before Gunnar gets in here and does it because that is just the type of persnickety person he is. ;)

:lol: Believe it or not, it hadn't even entered my mind to do anything of the sort!
Both used to be federal holidays until they were combined into President's Day which I agree with you, I could live without. Moving on...
I agree with consolidating celebration of two of our greatest Presidents into one holiday. I think those two deserve to be honored, though I probably would not be distressed if President's day were dropped as a national holiday. It might be a good suggestion, though, to replace President's Day by establishing Constitution Day as a federal holiday to celebrate the ratification of our constitution, which happened on June 21, 1788.

I want to think more about the military related suggestions you made. People don't know one from the other anyway (which irritates the heck out of me when people wish others a Happy Memorial Day) so I'm in favor of consolidating, I'm not sure how.

Then folks can do their BBQ deal, visit the cemeteries, go to a parade, and tour military bases if they want as their circumstances dictate.

First Nation's Day--yes!
I concur with the rest of what you said.

The only other thing I have to add is to wish that everyone a joyous Fathers' day!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:43 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:33 am

:lol: Believe it or not, it hadn't even entered my mind to do anything of the sort!
LIAR!!!!!
I agree with consolidating celebration of two of our greatest Presidents into one holiday. I think those two deserve to be honored, though I probably would not be distressed if President's day were dropped as a national holiday. It might be a good suggestion, though, to replace President's Day by establishing Constitution Day as a federal holiday to celebrate the ratification of our constitution, which happened on June 21, 1788.
I'd go for that.

First Nation's Day--yes!
I concur with the rest of what you said.

The only other thing I have to add is to wish that everyone a joyous Fathers' day!
I hope you had a happy one, too!

Slava Ukraini!