Conservative Judge Speaks Out

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
User avatar
canpakes
God
Posts: 4542
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:25 am

Re: Conservative Judge Speaks Out

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:29 pm
canpakes wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:19 pm



To the first line of your response: that is precisely what you engaged me on.

viewtopic.php?p=2788713#p2788713

The rest of your response finds you inventing things that didn’t happen, arguably to try to pave yourself an out.
Your reference does not show me inventing anything and your hallucination that I am paving an out is your personal experience only.

Again, panny, you are making this about your hallucinations about me without a substantive argument.

No, not according to some guy on the Internet who believes that such a statement hinges on a reclassification of hallucinations, substantive, and argument.

Anyhow, to recap:
Binger wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:13 pm
The specific assertion that I was challenging, however, was this one.
Manetho wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:03 pm
In contrast, refusal to accept any Democratic political victory is fast becoming mainstream on the US political right.
…The argument hinges on a reclassification of refusal, accept, Democrat, political victory, mainstream and political right.
canpakes wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:23 pm
Binger wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:13 pm

The argument hinges on a reclassification of refusal, accept, Democrat, political victory, mainstream and political right.
… defining the meaning of, “refusal to accept any Democratic political victory”, seems pretty straightforward, given the many examples provided by prominent folks like our previous President, over the last two years.
Binger wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:34 pm
canpakes wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:23 pm
… defining the meaning of, “refusal to accept any Democratic political victory”, seems pretty straightforward, given the many examples provided by prominent folks like our previous President, over the last two years.
Actually, the opposite of what you are saying is true and the facts are contrary to your claim. Support of the claim requires redefining words, which is your recurring strategy and not my interest.

I still hold to the idea that defining the meaning of, “refusal to accept any Democratic political victory”, seems pretty straightforward, given the many examples provided by prominent folks like our previous President, over the last two years.
User avatar
Binger
God
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:34 am

Re: Conservative Judge Speaks Out

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:51 pm
Binger wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:29 pm

Your reference does not show me inventing anything and your hallucination that I am paving an out is your personal experience only.

Again, panny, you are making this about your hallucinations about me without a substantive argument.

No, not according to some guy on the Internet who believes that such a statement hinges on a reclassification of hallucinations, substantive, and argument.

Anyhow, to recap:
Binger wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:13 pm
The specific assertion that I was challenging, however, was this one.



…The argument hinges on a reclassification of refusal, accept, Democrat, political victory, mainstream and political right.
canpakes wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:23 pm


… defining the meaning of, “refusal to accept any Democratic political victory”, seems pretty straightforward, given the many examples provided by prominent folks like our previous President, over the last two years.
Binger wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:34 pm

Actually, the opposite of what you are saying is true and the facts are contrary to your claim. Support of the claim requires redefining words, which is your recurring strategy and not my interest.

I still hold to the idea that defining the meaning of, “refusal to accept any Democratic political victory”, seems pretty straightforward, given the many examples provided by prominent folks like our previous President, over the last two years.
So, in your opinion, the mainstream of America has refused to accept any Democratic political victory. I accept that this is your opinion. And, if your reason for believing that any Democratic political victory was not accepted is the "examples provided by prominent folks like our previous President, over the last two years" well then you certainly are entitled to hold that belief.

I am aware that there are examples of Democratic political victories that are accepted by Americans, prominent folks and the previous President. But go on with your belief buddy. Believe whatever you can hallucinate. And go on with your conspiracy that the mainstream refuses to accept any Democratic political victory, whatever that means.
User avatar
canpakes
God
Posts: 4542
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:25 am

Re: Conservative Judge Speaks Out

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:02 am
So, in your opinion, the mainstream of America has refused to accept any Democratic political victory.

Yet, there’s not one place in this thread where I said that or anything like it.

And you were just accusing me of hallucinating just a few moments ago. : D

I accept that this is your opinion.

If you want to build up a straw man and argue that, then be my guest. It doesn’t stop you from being wrong.

And, if your reason for believing that any Democratic political victory was not accepted …

… by (fill in the blank)?

… is the "examples provided by prominent folks like our previous President, over the last two years" well then you certainly are entitled to hold that belief.

Yes. That belief would seem to accurately illustrate how some folks really do feel, as proven by the quote I left behind earlier.

As another example, we can plainly witness how this fellow below, with the hockey stick, is accepting of a Democratic political victory.

Image

… or anyone in that clip.
User avatar
Binger
God
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:34 am

Re: Conservative Judge Speaks Out

Post by Binger »

Manetho wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:03 pm
[R]efusal to accept any Democratic political victory is fast becoming mainstream on the US political right.
So, what the hell does this mean?
Manetho
Star B
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:28 am

Re: Conservative Judge Speaks Out

Post by Manetho »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:55 am
Manetho wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:03 pm
[R]efusal to accept any Democratic political victory is fast becoming mainstream on the US political right.
So, what the hell does this mean?
Let's start with the obvious: the Texas Republican Party recently passed its new platform, which denies that Biden won the 2020 election. Candidates who were involved in the January 6 attack have won several congressional primaries.

But it goes beyond the 2020 election. It will certainly affect future elections. Several Republican-dominated state legislatures have passed bills that remove authority from election officials or make them liable for minor infractions, setting the stage for Republican elected officials to try to overturn election results that don't go the way they want. One bill under consideration in Arizona would explicitly give the legislature the power to overturn an election.

Even before 2020, Republicans were increasingly undermining majority rule in cases where Democrats won a majority. The prime example is Wisconsin, where the state legislative districts during most of the 2010s were so heavily gerrymandered that in the 2018 election, when Republicans received less than 45% of the legislative vote, they held nearly two-thirds of the seats. Wisconsin elected a Democratic governor that year, and the legislature responded by stripping the governor of several of his powers just before the newly elected Democrat took office.
honorentheos
God
Posts: 1864
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:15 am

Re: Conservative Judge Speaks Out

Post by honorentheos »

Manetho wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:03 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:39 am
Illiberalism manifests just as readily on the political left. It manifests on this board just as often by those opposed to the illiberal nationalism in the form of illiberal socialism.
I challenge this assertion. The usage of the term "socialism" is unhelpfully broad. A sizable number of young leftists will call themselves "socialists" in the vein of Bernie Sanders or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, but, when pressed for details, most of them will say their goal is something like the social democracy found in Scandinavian countries. One may disagree with that goal, but I think it is profoundly wrong to see it as a threat to people's freedoms on par with the Republican Party's attacks on democracy. A small number of leftists will go further and attempt imbecilic defenses of communism, but such people have no political traction; I'm not aware of any avowed communists holding elected office anywhere in the United States. In contrast, refusal to accept any Democratic political victory is fast becoming mainstream on the US political right.
Hi Manetho,

I read your reply and my initial reaction was puzzlement. Mainly because I assumed I had glossed over something in your post. I didn't have the time at that moment to parse it so I came back a couple of times and it hasn't clicked in for me yet. So I guess I'll just ask directly. What is it in my comment that you take issue with, specifically?
User avatar
Moksha
God
Posts: 3316
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:13 am
Location: Koloburbia

Re: Conservative Judge Speaks Out

Post by Moksha »

Manetho wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:35 am
Let's start with the obvious: the Texas Republican Party recently passed its new platform, which denies that Biden won the 2020 election.
Texas now wishes the wall had been built on its northern border.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Manetho
Star B
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:28 am

Re: Conservative Judge Speaks Out

Post by Manetho »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:09 am
What is it in my comment that you take issue with, specifically?
This: "Illiberalism manifests just as readily on the political left. It manifests on this board just as often by those opposed to the illiberal nationalism in the form of illiberal socialism."

Of course, the socialism of Nicolás Maduro, or of actual communist countries, is illiberal, but such positions have virtually no presence in American politics, nor have I seen anyone advocating them on this board. Some of the "socialist" (social-democratic) economic interventions advocated by the left wing of the Democratic Party may be unwise policies, but if you're implying that such policies are attacks on people's basic liberties, equivalent to the right wing's attack on democracy... well, that's just nuts. It would be helpful if you clarified what you mean by "illiberal".
honorentheos
God
Posts: 1864
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:15 am

Re: Conservative Judge Speaks Out

Post by honorentheos »

Manetho wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:34 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:09 am
What is it in my comment that you take issue with, specifically?
This: "Illiberalism manifests just as readily on the political left. It manifests on this board just as often by those opposed to the illiberal nationalism in the form of illiberal socialism."

Of course, the socialism of Nicolás Maduro, or of actual communist countries, is illiberal, but such positions have virtually no presence in American politics, nor have I seen anyone advocating them on this board. Some of the "socialist" (social-democratic) economic interventions advocated by the left wing of the Democratic Party may be unwise policies, but if you're implying that such policies are attacks on people's basic liberties, equivalent to the right wing's attack on democracy... well, that's just nuts. It would be helpful if you clarified what you mean by "illiberal".
Based on the confirmation it seems my initial thought was pretty close. That being, you weren't taking issue with specific content in my comment. Rather, your issue is with a couple of general ideas. Those being socialism as expressed in the US isn't a negative, but rather a positive ideology. And nothing that originates from the political left in the US can compare to what is seen coming from the political right. Does that seem accurate?
Manetho
Star B
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:28 am

Re: Conservative Judge Speaks Out

Post by Manetho »

honorentheos wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:10 pm
Based on the confirmation it seems my initial thought was pretty close. That being, you weren't taking issue with specific content in my comment. Rather, your issue is with a couple of general ideas. Those being socialism as expressed in the US isn't a negative, but rather a positive ideology. And nothing that originates from the political left in the US can compare to what is seen coming from the political right. Does that seem accurate?
I'm reluctant to say it's "not a negative, but a positive ideology", because no political movement is uniformly positive, and such a movement is virtually guaranteed to produce some policies that end up not working. But, for the most part, yes.
Post Reply