1 in 5 Republicans think Trump should be charged

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

1 in 5 Republicans think Trump should be charged

Post by Vēritās »

This is huge. A poll showed that 58% of Americans believe the former President should be indicted for his crimes relating to January 6th.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... 678110001/

And this is the guy they want running in 2024? I'm guessing the hearings are working, and FOX News is failing to run interference.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Gunnar
God

Re: 1 in 5 Republicans think Trump should be charged

Post by Gunnar »

What I find really appalling is that even prominent Republicans, like McConnel and Barr who acknowledge that the election was fair, and that Biden legitimately won it and even that Trump lied and illegally tried to overturn it, still declare that they will vote for Trump yet again if he manages to become the Presidential nominee in 2064! They obviously don't give a damn about what the actual truth is or even about democracy itself -- only about what will further promote and augment their own power and wealth.

Trump has boasted that even if he went out on the street and shot to death some random passerby, he would not lose any of his followers. I think it may be even worse than that. I suspect that even if it were unequivocally established that Trump hired or even was the actual shooter in the recent Robb elementary school mass shooting, the above-mentioned people and most of Trump's sycophantic base would still vote for him again, if he somehow managed to secure the nomination!

I think that McConnel, Cruz, Cawthorne, MTG, Hawley, Bobert, et al really have the attitude that even flagrantly breaking the law is an acceptable tactic for getting oneself elected, if they can somehow succeed in getting away with it. That is why they seem determined to deny that breaking the law necessarily disqualifies one from running for office, if the candidate happens to be a Trump endorsed Republican. They don't want to reestablish a precedent that criminality is sufficient grounds for removal of Republicans from office, or denying them from running in the first place, even we know that they will eagerly prosecute the hell out of any Democrats, even for the most minor infractions.
Last edited by Gunnar on Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Vēritās wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:53 pm
This is huge. A poll showed that 58% of Americans believe the former President should be indicted for his crimes relating to January 6th.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... 678110001/

And this is the guy they want running in 2024? I'm guessing the hearings are working, and FOX News is failing to run interference.
I hope you're right, and that the tide will continue to turn more and more strongly against both him and his enablers clear up to the election date. It's a shame that Adam Kinzinger had not other viable choice but to resign from the House because of his courage and integrity, and that Liz Cheney's political career may have ended for the same reason. Both of them deserve "profiles in courage" awards for pushing back against their party's insane continuing support of Trump despite the damning evidence against him.

ETA: Of course I would like to see both of their seats won by Democrat candidates, but that is probably impossible this year, at least. The Republicans who replace them are almost guaranteed to lack their integrity and honesty, let alone courage. Whether Republicans realize it or not, they are voting their best and most honest representatives out of office, for the most part.
Last edited by Gunnar on Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

As the OP says, it is indeed worth noting that there are 1 in 5 Republicans who want to see Trump charged. The percentage of Democrats is, of course, no great surprise.
The poll found that 58% of Americans say Trump should face criminal charges for the role he played in the riot, a higher percentage than in late April, when it was 52% in an ABC News/Washington Post poll.

By party, the poll found that 91% of Democrats say the former president should be criminally charged, compared with 19% of Republicans.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Chap wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:01 am
As the opening post says, it is indeed worth noting that there are 1 in 5 Republicans who want to see Trump charged. The percentage of Democrats is, of course, no great surprise.
The poll found that 58% of Americans say Trump should face criminal charges for the role he played in the riot, a higher percentage than in late April, when it was 52% in an ABC News/Washington Post poll.

By party, the poll found that 91% of Democrats say the former president should be criminally charged, compared with 19% of Republicans.
I hope this bodes well for the Democrats maintaining or even increasing their majority in both House and Senate. I also hope that % of Republicans with that opinion will also increase. That is probably a forlorn hope if someone as stupid as MTG can win a majority of the Republican vote in her constituency.