RvW Overturned - Abortions Now Illegal

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: RvW Overturned - Abortions Now Illegal

Post by Binger »

Vēritās wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:59 pm

You do realize that Republicans are poised to take over Congress and have threatened to make abortion illegal as a federal law, right?
1a) Why was a federal law not passed during the Pelosi/Schumer/Reid/Obama/Biden supermajority periods. Particularly, 1b) why was this not done while Ruth Bader Ginsburg was the primary force or leader on the Supreme Court?

Further, 2) now that the Supreme Court has said that this is an issue to be decided by the states, what prevents any state from passing laws that would align with the wishes of the Pelosi, Schumer and Biden?

My answers to these questions are rather simple. I am not asking without also offering a response. My answer to 1a is that they did not have the votes and that such a law was less popular among swing and independent voters. My answer to 1b is that everyone knew that Ruth Bader Ginsburg saw weakness in Roe.

My answer to 2 is that states like Cali, Hawaii and Illinois will pass these laws without much resistance. I believe that Utah, Oklahoma and Mississippi (as examples only) may try and do something on the opposite extreme, and they will catch all sorts of hell politically and economically. I am certain that McCarthy and McConnell/Schumer absolutely love it. They would much rather that the states and citizens divide and fight and argue and clog up the media and conversations over abortion and Jesus than talk about trade, immigration, war, taxes, inflation and the Fed.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

On the distraction part you are absolutely correct. What it took to get us here was the appointment of fundamentalist crackpots guided more by their superstitions than the law, several of whom were willing to lie under oath to pull this suppression of individual liberty by the will of an extremist, fundamentalist minority.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Binger wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:35 pm
My answer to 2 is that states like Cali, Hawaii and Illinois will pass these laws without much resistance. I believe that Utah, Oklahoma and Mississippi (as examples only) may try and do something on the opposite extreme, and they will catch all sorts of hell politically and economically. I am certain that McCarthy and McConnell/Schumer absolutely love it. They would much rather that the states and citizens divide and fight and argue and clog up the media and conversations over abortion and Jesus than talk about trade, immigration, war, taxes, inflation and the Fed.
Yup. Distract while the kleptocracy continues to go into hyper-drive.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:17 pm
On the distraction part you are absolutely correct. What it took to get us here was the appointment of fundamentalist crackpots guided more by their superstitions than the law, several of whom were willing to lie under oath to pull this suppression of individual liberty by the will of an extremist, fundamentalist minority.
Cool words. Can you be more specific? What minority, for example. What lies were told under oath and what evidence do you have that these lies were told "to pull this suppression of individual liberty"?

The court, in the case that we are discussing from the OP, returned the decision to the individual states. Is it your point that if there is a majority "will" based on a poll of Americans across many or all states that this so-called will is more relevant than the actual majority within a state? This may be your point, and it may be valid. Hell, maybe a poll of Americans is more important than what people want within their state. Hellifino.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Victory for White Life:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rep-mary-mil ... 09318.html

So, that happened.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

"We will make sure that when a kid is in the womb, they're as safe as they are in a classroom, the workplace, a nursing home—because every stage of life has value, no one greater than the other," ~Sarah Huckabee Sanders - June 27, 2022
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Republicans have turned the majority against them.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:24 pm
"We will make sure that when a kid is in the womb, they're as safe as they are in a classroom, the workplace, a nursing home—because every stage of life has value, no one greater than the other," ~Sarah Huckabee Sanders - June 27, 2022
Wait... She want to make the womb just as safe as the kids were in Uvalde? One would hope for higher aspirations.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:48 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:24 pm
Wait... She want to make the womb just as safe as the kids were in Uvalde? One would hope for higher aspirations.
That was my thought, and... "Well it was just as safe before the ruling."
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:41 pm
Republicans have turned the majority against them.
This is not true.