RvW Overturned - Abortions Now Illegal

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: RvW Overturned - Abortions Now Illegal

Post by Gadianton »

Saw two YouTube recommendations in close proximity.

The first was Joe Rogan blasting the Babylon Bee guy for his views on forcing kids that get raped to give birth. He said, "You don't have the right to tell my daughter she has to give birth to her rapist's baby".

Then, another video showed an informal Fox news poll about switching to R or D since May, and there's one category switching to D 3x that of urban women. Dads.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:48 pm
Binger wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:21 pm
The ballots are received one at a time when voting is done by person. They are not mingled with other parcels and mail in the same way that USPS receives mail. The first handoff is my biggest issue. Sorting and transfers are another issue. I know ballots appear anonymous, but with the USPS stamping where a ballot is received there is statistical information that can be inferred or gathered. Some states process the ballots early so they can reach out to voters to make corrections which indicates there is another custody concern.

Meh. Hell with it, really. Y'all have fun with vote by mail.
Right, but I’m talking about the chain of custody. Walk me through the chain of custody at a voting station vice mailing your ballot.

- Doc
Bump since it’s topical on another thread.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:31 pm
Then, another video showed an informal Fox news poll about switching to R or D since May, and there's one category switching to D 3x that of urban women. Dads.
This makes complete sense. Fathers are the one male demographic most likely to have that the Supreme Court decision scare the crap out of them. I know it has me. I don't want my daughter to have a baby at this point in her life, if ever. She is neither financially nor emotionally ready for that step, so I know there'd be an overreliance on my wife and me to raise that child, and my childrearing days are done (if I can help it).
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

in my opinion, the recent Supreme Court ruling to overturn Roe is a violation of the 9th Amendment. Link

ETA: I see this has already been discussed in this thread.
Link
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:26 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:18 pm
The 9th amendment is a small little detail in the Bill of Rights written specifically with the numbnut asshats like you in mind.
The 9th amendment is not in the Bill of Rights.
My favorite part of this thread.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:23 am
Binger wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:26 pm
The 9th amendment is not in the Bill of Rights.
My favorite part of this thread.
:lol:
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Formerly Anti-Choice Texan Flees State to Get Life-Saving Abortion
A Texas woman says she's gone from being staunchly pro-life to firmly pro-abortion after being forced to travel out of state to terminate a pregnancy. Ana Kasparian and Cenk Uygur discuss on The Young Turks.

"Nine years ago, Cade DeSpain messaged a friend about a cute girl he saw on her Facebook feed.

The friend introduced him to Kailee Lingo, her sorority sister at Tarleton State University in Stephenville, Texas. Kailee remembers that when she and Cade met, it was "a connection at first sight."

A month after college graduation, Kailee and Cade married in Marble Falls, Texas. They're both proud to be native Texans: Kailee's family has lived there for generations, and Cade's ancestors are among Texas' "Old Three Hundred," the original families that joined Stephen F. Austin to settle the area in the 1800s.

At the time, the DeSpains were both passionately anti-abortion."
See also: Why a woman’s doctor warned her not to get pregnant in Texas
A grim prognosis for their baby

When Kailee and Cade found out she was pregnant, they desperately hoped for a “sticky baby” – a pregnancy that would stick – after her three miscarriages.

But after multiple ultrasounds, the doctors’ prognosis was grim: His heart, lung, kidney and brain problems were severe, and his genetic disorder, called triploidy, meant he had an extra set of chromosomes. The doctors said that either Finley would die before birth, or if he did make it to term, he would die a few minutes or at most an hour after birth.

One of their doctors told them, “Some of these things could be fixed, but all of these things together – this cannot be fixed,” Kailee remembers.

She says the doctor told them that before Texas’ six-week abortion ban went into effect in September of last year, she would have advised abortion as “the safest course for you [and] the most humane course of action for him.”

But the doctor said she could not offer them an abortion in Texas. She said the only option to get one was to travel out of state.

Risk to Kailee’s life

Staying pregnant with Finley could have put Kailee’s life in danger.

She has two blood clotting disorders, which put her at a higher risk for having dangerous blood clots during pregnancy. Plus, mothers of babies with triploidy are more likely to get preeclampsia, a potentially deadly pregnancy disorder. Also, there was an increased risk for a placental abnormality associated with cancer.

Kailee said she considered risking her own life to carry Finley to term.

“I [wanted] to say goodbye,” she said. “I [wanted] a chance to hold him.”

But then she thought about how Finley would suffer as he struggled to breathe.

“He’s going to suffocate, he’s going to die, and I’m going to watch him do it,” she said.

For Cade, there was only one option: It made no sense to him to risk his wife’s life to have a baby who was certain to die quickly.
How many tragedies or near tragedies like this is it going to take before conservative lawmakers and religious fanatics realize that anti-abortion policies do not really equal pro-life? In actuality pro-choice policies are, when all things are rationally and compassionately considered, really far more pro-life than are inflexible and punitive anti-abortion policies!
Kailee said they’re sharing their story in hopes of increasing awareness so “that stories like mine can change enough voters’ perspectives.”

“I’m still so angry and hurt about it that I can hardly see straight,” she wrote on Facebook the day after the abortion. “Finley and I were simply collateral damage in a much bigger picture. It’s hard for me to wrap my head around the thought process of lawmakers that would rather a full-term baby suffocate to death than allow a mother to make a decision that spares her child that pain.”
I couldn't agree more!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

“I’m still so angry and hurt about it that I can hardly see straight,” she wrote on Facebook the day after the abortion. “Finley and I were simply collateral damage in a much bigger picture. It’s hard for me to wrap my head around the thought process of lawmakers that would rather a full-term baby suffocate to death than allow a mother to make a decision that spares her child that pain.
She's lying. It's not at all hard for her "to wrap [her] head around the thought process of lawmakers that would rather a full-term baby suffocate to death than allow a mother to make a decision that spares her child that pain," because:
At the time, the DeSpains were both passionately anti-abortion.
. . . which means she herself had the exact same thought process and "passionately" agreed with it.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:17 pm
“I’m still so angry and hurt about it that I can hardly see straight,” she wrote on Facebook the day after the abortion. “Finley and I were simply collateral damage in a much bigger picture. It’s hard for me to wrap my head around the thought process of lawmakers that would rather a full-term baby suffocate to death than allow a mother to make a decision that spares her child that pain.
She's lying. It's not at all hard for her "to wrap [her] head around the thought process of lawmakers that would rather a full-term baby suffocate to death than allow a mother to make a decision that spares her child that pain," because:
At the time, the DeSpains were both passionately anti-abortion.
. . . which means she herself had the exact same thought process and "passionately" agreed with it.

Exactly. She needs to ‘wrap her head around’ why her own thinking changed.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

canpakes wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:02 pm
Exactly. She needs to ‘wrap her head around’ why her own thinking changed.
Well, I'm sure she has done that much already, which is why her own thinking changed. Hopefully her story will persuade others (especially lawmakers) why their own thinking needs to change on this issue. But I see your point. Certainly, at one time, she was able "to wrap [her] head around the thought process of lawmakers that would rather a full-term baby suffocate to death than allow a mother to make a decision that spares her child that pain," unless she initially didn't fully consider the inevitability of such scenarios occasionally coming to pass as long as draconian anti-abortion policies remain in place.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.