RvW Overturned - Abortions Now Illegal

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: RvW Overturned - Abortions Now Illegal

Post by canpakes »

Kukulkan wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:52 pm
To interpret this as Justice Barrett saying she would not overturn Roe is naïve. You don't seem to have an understanding of what stare decisis means in this situation.

Same thing here. (Kavanaugh) says he will apply stare decisis. In no way, shape or form does that mean that it LOCKS the court into deciding how past courts have.

Again, same thing. (Gorsuch) simply states that Roe at the time is precedent and will be treated as such.

… (T)hey were incredibly careful on how they answered the questions as to remain judicially neutral as they should strive to be.

Although, there’s the point that despite this striving to remain (or appearing to remain) ‘neutral’, these justices all aligned to the same side of the decision when it came time to rule on it.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

I was an unwanted pregnancy and could have very easily been aborted. At the same time, there was somebody in the world that prayed for an infant and adopted me at six weeks old. What is nine months of inconvenience?
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Kukulkan wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:00 pm
While yes, there are states that restrict a woman's right to an abortion, we have to acknowledge and celebrate that there are states that respect it. That bodes well for our country. We should celebrate that. We all don't have our heads in the sand.
I suppose, although it seems to me that a great migration might take place. Of course, how many people can afford that? A lot of poor people got thoroughly screwed today. Again.

You can't claim to be "pro life" if you are pushing for a law that will inevitably kill women. On the bright side, we know to invest in coat hanger stocks and collect bottles of "morning after" pill now.
I guess my optimism comes from the need to try to better the country. There is already so much bitterness and pessimism present in the current political sphere, I find that adding more is not healthy for those around me and for myself. I look at the country and all of the ugly scars and warts it has, many current and still growing, yet here we still stand. I look to the optimistic leadership of those such as Dr Martin Luther King Jr and his movement and how successful it was. That is what our country needs more of.
I certainly don't want to get in the way of that. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything; I'm just expressing today's frustration. Days like this make me extremely pessimistic about America.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

For the legal scholars here, can't they throw out just about anything under the "originalist" theory? Is there anything that really prevents slave ownership, or any other backward thing the country has done since inception?

Basically, the constitution shouldn't permit anything that wasn't a hard-and-fast law or norm in 1787.
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:04 pm
Although, there’s the point that despite this striving to remain (or appearing to remain) ‘neutral’, these justices all aligned to the same side of the decision when it came time to rule on it.
Yes because being realistic, Roe held itself on VERY thin ice. Ruther Bader Ginsburg wasn't even a fan of it and she has famously been championed as the woman's rights SC Justice.
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

msnobody wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:11 pm
I was an unwanted pregnancy and could have very easily been aborted. At the same time, there was somebody in the world that prayed for an infant and adopted me at six weeks old. What is nine months of inconvenience?
Hopefully, that was the choice your natural mother made, and it wasn't forced on her.

I can imagine several scenarios where what you described had more impact than just "nine months of inconvenience."
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

msnobody wrote:

This is obviously a wonderful outcome. But, it’s not always as easy a decision, considering all circumstances.

As example, here’s a slightly different situation, presented via the following link:

https://apple.news/AT_eDc-UNTciJlHJgdNblWg
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:58 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:42 pm
I wonder what the consequences of this decision will be in the decades to come? I imagine there are going to be a lot of babies born to people without the ability to rear them properly (even moreso than now).

Anyway. If I were an abortionist here in Utah I’d be renting space in Nevada and Colorado, next to the weed shops. They’re gonna make a killing. Ahem.

- Doc
It will prevent zero abortions and cause many women to die. We've already been through this before.

But the ruling doesn't make "abortions illegal." That is just what's going to be happening in certain states because radical judges with no integrity lied during their confirmation hearings.
That literally makes abortion illegal, definitions aside, in states that want to ban abortion (definitions aside). I feel like Some Schmo probably represents the broader Leftist zeitgeist right now.

Anyway. If this ruling will prevent ‘exactly zero’ abortions, but will ‘kill women’, how? Will women who are stuck in regressive states have secret abortions in those states by the tens of thousands? That seems tricky and risky considering the apparatus now set against them. Wouldn’t they just go to another state, or carry the baby to term? Or are you talking about the inevitable risky business that pregnancy incurs that, unfortunately, some women and girls will end up dead?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:14 pm
I suppose, although it seems to me that a great migration might take place. Of course, how many people can afford that? A lot of poor people got thoroughly screwed today. Again.

You can't claim to be "pro life" if you are pushing for a law that will inevitably kill women. On the bright side, we know to invest in coat hanger stocks and collect bottles of "morning after" pill now.
I am hoping that the shock from this ruling will get people in motion and organizing. We might see institutions or companies start to finance travel for employees or individuals to travel to get an abortion.
Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:14 pm
I certainly don't want to get in the way of that. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything; I'm just expressing today's frustration. Days like this make me extremely pessimistic about America.
I feel you. I really do. The past decade has presented many of the same feelings that many Americans feel today. I don't want you to not be frustrated. My hope is that many feeling like you organize and mobilize and we see issues like abortion, contraceptives, marriage equality enshrined in law within the coming years.
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:17 pm
msnobody wrote:
Hopefully, that was the choice your natural mother made, and it wasn't forced on her.

I can imagine several scenarios where what you described had more impact than just "nine months of inconvenience."
I'm sure it's pretty inconvenient for the screaming infant being dismembered and sucked up through a vacuum cleaner and flushed down the toilet. But who cares about the babies, they can't even vote. The bleeding heart of the liberal has no concern for such beings.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.