RvW Overturned - Abortions Now Illegal

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

RvW Overturned - Abortions Now Illegal

Post by Some Schmo »

As if we needed additional proof that the GOP and their voters are damned assholes, Roe v Wade has now been overturned.

I'm not sure what else to say, except it's become clear GOP voters are dickwad authoritarians now. It's unfathomable to me how so many people can be so incredibly damned stupid and selfish. It's unreal. I have zero regard for humanity at this point. People are damned retarded.

If you're an asshole, you have full representation by the GOP. Congrats.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
drumdude
God

Re: RvW Overturned - Abortions Now Illegal

Post by drumdude »

The tourism industry for towns on the borders between civilized and theocratic states will get a nice boost.
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:46 pm
The tourism industry for towns on the borders between civilized and theocratic states will get a nice boost.
Was going to say the same thing. You are probably going to see a bunch of abortion clinics open up on the border towns between allowed and banned abortion states. Same thing happened for legal and illegal marijuana states.
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

“Conservative Justice Clarence Thomas' opinion in the overturning of Roe v. Wade suggests other landmark rulings — including those that protect contraception, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage — could be in peril.

Clarence Thomas writes, in a concurring opinion excerpted on Twitter, that the Supreme Court should reconsider Griswold v. Connecticut, Lawrence V. Texas, and Obergefell v. Hodge — the rulings that currently protect the right to buy and use contraceptives without government restriction, the right to a same-sex relationship, and the right to same-sex marriage.

From Thomas' concurring opinion: "... in future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court's substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell. Because any substantive due process decision is 'demonstrably erroneous,' ... we have a duty to 'correct the error' established in those precedents..."

https://Twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status ... 68834?s=21
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Those Justices need to be impeached for lying under oath just so they could get confirmed. The end justifies the means it seems with these folks. Taking away Constitutionally granted rights. When is the last time this has happened?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Impeaching and threatening justices of the the Supreme Court seems a bit insurrecty to me.

Maybe, instead of sending assassins and mobs to the houses of justices we do not like, or leaking confidential correspondence, we could find a non-insurrecty way to communicate with the court and implement their rulings.
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:12 pm
“Conservative Justice Clarence Thomas' opinion in the overturning of Roe v. Wade suggests other landmark rulings — including those that protect contraception, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage — could be in peril.

Clarence Thomas writes, in a concurring opinion excerpted on Twitter, that the Supreme Court should reconsider Griswold v. Connecticut, Lawrence V. Texas, and Obergefell v. Hodge — the rulings that currently protect the right to buy and use contraceptives without government restriction, the right to a same-sex relationship, and the right to same-sex marriage.

From Thomas' concurring opinion: "... in future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court's substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell. Because any substantive due process decision is 'demonstrably erroneous,' ... we have a duty to 'correct the error' established in those precedents..."

https://Twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status ... 68834?s=21
Funny he didn't mention Loving... :roll:
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

One of the most important things to note about this decision is that it is a clear indication that the Supreme Court has lost its independence and has become a political body. It no longer has credibility as an nonpartisan entity as currently constituted.

We've just taken a huge step toward authoritarianism. We're slightly better than China right now. This country is lost, and I'm not sure it can find its way.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Griswold
Isn't this one just about married couples having the right to choose to use birth control without government meddling?

Is Thomas really suggesting that we need to revisit whether a married couple can be arrested for using a condom?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I wonder what the consequences of this decision will be in the decades to come? I imagine there are going to be a lot of babies born to people without the ability to rear them properly (even moreso than now).

Anyway. If I were an abortionist here in Utah I’d be renting space in Nevada and Colorado, next to the weed shops. They’re gonna make a killing. Ahem.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.