Abortion Survivors Stories

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Highwayman
Nursery

Abortion Survivors Stories

Post by Highwayman »

Now a mother, herself, Melissa Ohden has experienced first-hand what she calls the “intergenerational impact of abortion.”  The reality is that abortion doesn’t just impact a woman’s life; it ends a child’s life. It forever changes the lives of everyone it touches, including women, men, extended family members, friends, and our communities.

In 1977, Melissa’s biological mother was a 19 year old college student when she had a saline infusion abortion that was meant to end Melissa’s life.  Although her biological mother thought that she was less than five months pregnant when she had the abortion, the fact that Melissa survived and weighed almost 3 pounds indicates that her biological mother was much further along in her pregnancy than she realized.  In fact, when Melissa obtained her medical records in 2007 that detail the abortion procedure that she survived, one of the first notations by a doctor after she survived was that she looked like she was approximately 31 weeks gestation! Despite the initial concerns that doctors had regarding her ability to survive, and the quality of life she would experience if she did, today Melissa is a healthy 34-year-old woman. 

Although Melissa grew up knowing that she was adopted and loved, she didn’t find out the truth about being an abortion survivor until she was 14 years old.  Needless to say, finding out the truth about her life changed her forever, and now the world also. Melissa, ultimately, went searching for answers about her survival and her biological family, and since 2007, she has had contact with both sides of her biological family in varying degrees. 

Copies of Melissa’s birth records, which chronicle the abortion attempt that was meant to end her life and more information about Melissa’s survival, her ministry, and her work to extend love and forgiveness to all who are impacted by abortion, including her own biological family, can be found on her personal website:  www.melissaohden.com

Melissa is a pro-life speaker and advocate who often appears on television and radio shows such as FoxNews, Focus on the Family, The 700 Club, 100 Huntley St., EWTN, Life News, and others.  She is the subject of the award-winning documentary, A Voice for Life (see the Abortion Survivors in the News page for more information about A Voice for Life). 

Read Melissa Ohden’s amazing story in her new book: You Carried Me 
Vēritās
God

Re: Abortion Survivors Stories

Post by Vēritās »

This is disingenuous claptrap. So what if someone survived abortion? The fact is almost no abortions take place when the fetus is that far along. Almost all states already have laws against late term abortions. This "story" doesn't do anything but obfuscate an issue that is already misunderstood by the uneducated.

The fact is millions of people deserve the right to decide what to do with their own bodies, especially when the "baby" you keep disingenuously alluding to is almost always never a baby at all. It is almost always never a fetus even.

Similar to previous years, in 2019, women in their twenties accounted for the majority of abortions (56.9%). The majority of abortions in 2019 took place early in gestation: 92.7% of abortions were performed at ≤13 weeks’ gestation; a smaller number of abortions (6.2%) were performed at 14–20 weeks’ gestation, and even fewer (<1.0%) were performed at ≥21 weeks’ gestation.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

It's strange how we never hear stories about "abortion survivors" who turn out to be psychopaths.

"Abortion survivors" is an idiotic way of saying "people" or "everybody."
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:34 pm
It's strange how we never hear stories about "abortion survivors" who turn out to be psychopaths.

"Abortion survivors" is an idiotic way of saying "people" or "everybody."
I know, right? They talk as if it were something she remembers and they talk about how abortions are traumatic for so many people involved. It is? I'm pretty sure my sister had three of them, as did my own mother (Trump supporter). I don't think it traumatized anyone. The most traumatizing thing about it is the period leading up to the abortion wondering what your life would be like having to be forced to give birth.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

We can use alternative course of events logic for any number of circumstances. Look at how Ajax goes into tantrums about "welfare queens" who have too many children they can't support. To say: "Person X" shouldn't be going around making all these kids is to say that these children, who now exist, shouldn't have been born.

Someone posted an example of a guy who had 21 children from several mothers along with a minimum wage job. Take somebody hypothetically who has 30 children and no job. Now suppose this guy is getting busy with his GF and they're filming it. Now suppose the end is near, and he stops and says he can't do this, he already has 30 kids, doesn't want another, and he's got to take responsibility -- no more. But then, in a moment of weakness finishes and proclaims "Oh Sh**! I just f'd up!" and then disappears. Years later, the child discovers the video and realizes if dad would have stopped they wouldn't have been born, that was the plan, and their existence is a happy accident.

Had my dad not dragged himself to a stake dance one night, he wouldn't have met my mom and I wouldn't have been born. Take any teenage Christian couple who aren't married yet. Should they wait until marriage, then children that would have been real people living on this planet will never know what it's like to be alive. But then if they don't wait, children that would have happened later are crowded out of existence.

I admit that discovering something like this about your journey into this world is particularly unnerving. But she's not the only person who had a hard journey to make. Somebody close to me who was adopted could never accept that the real mother didn't want him, and that culminated with suicide in middle age. was this woman's journey harder than his? Until the Supreme court disallows mothers to not want their born children, there will be plenty of suffering yet.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:13 pm
We can use alternative course of events logic for any number of circumstances. Look at how Ajax goes into tantrums about "welfare queens" who have too many children they can't support. To say: "Person X" shouldn't be going around making all these kids is to say that these children, who now exist, shouldn't have been born.

Someone posted an example of a guy who had 21 children from several mothers along with a minimum wage job. Take somebody hypothetically who has 30 children and no job. Now suppose this guy is getting busy with his GF and they're filming it. Now suppose the end is near, and he stops and says he can't do this, he already has 30 kids, doesn't want another, and he's got to take responsibility -- no more. But then, in a moment of weakness finishes and proclaims "Oh Sh**! I just f'd up!" and then disappears. Years later, the child discovers the video and realizes if dad would have stopped they wouldn't have been born, that was the plan, and their existence is a happy accident.

Had my dad not dragged himself to a stake dance one night, he wouldn't have met my mom and I wouldn't have been born. Take any teenage Christian couple who aren't married yet. Should they wait until marriage, then children that would have been real people living on this planet will never know what it's like to be alive. But then if they don't wait, children that would have happened later are crowded out of existence.

I admit that discovering something like this about your journey into this world is particularly unnerving. But she's not the only person who had a hard journey to make. Somebody close to me who was adopted could never accept that the real mother didn't want him, and that culminated with suicide in middle age. was this woman's journey harder than his? Until the Supreme court disallows mothers to not want their born children, there will be plenty of suffering yet.
Had McFly never taken Marty's Mom to the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance and punched Biff, Marty would never have existed. Therefore we should always encourage violence at school dances, just to insure we're saving those would be babies.