Religious Right - Origins based in Racism

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Religious Right - Origins based in Racism

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:28 am
In years past the lefts view on abortion was to make it safe, rare, and legal, which seemed to be in step with public opinion. Today's left wing SJWs demand that we celebrate abortion and indoctrinate the youth in public schools with the idea. The current left wing moral authorities are hedonistic people like Howard Stern. Why is abortion such an appealing idea to Democrat men? Because they want to be able to bang around without any chance of being held financially responsible. Kamala Harris said as much when she talked about how bad the Supreme Court ruling was for her sons. As bad as America has gotten, I still believe that most people have not sunken to Howard Stern or Schmo's view of morality. As always the far left is going to overplay their hand on this and I think they're going to pay for it the upcoming elections, assuming they're not allowed to cheat.
Nonsense. You’re confusing destigmatizing with celebrating. And Howard Stern? Give me a break. And I’ll bet I can match you R For D when it comes to men who want to bang around. Start with your political hero….

“Safe, legal, and rare” was a centrist Dem slogan. The left position on abortion has been more like “safe, legal, and none of your goddam business.” Abortion is an important component of women’s healthcare, and should be between the woman and her doctor.

It’s easy to be an advocate for the unborn. It’s a constituency that makes no demands — It requires absolutely no accountability. Woman dies? Not your problem. Unwanted child beaten, abused, malnourished? Not your problem. Twelve year old girl raped by her father forced to give birth? Not your problem.

by the way, of the actual cheaters in 2020 — almost all Trumpers.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:35 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGekHCa1fDA

ok link works. This is Franky Schaeffer, son of the individual who really lead the way on the anti abortion movement. He might have some insight into why racial considerations are completely inadequate to explain the moral majority as a religious political movement. His view is not particularly comforting.
I checked this link again and found myself thinking it is perhaps more angry than helpful. I do not think it is really wrong it just doesn't suggest much response beside resist fanatic religious beliefs.Ok

I looked at a presentation about the growth of doctrinaire liberal requirements on campus. I have seen such observations before and find myself each time disturbed and puzzled as to how wide spread the matter really is. In my old experience college was to be open exploration of different views. Pressure for political or social uniformity was just not the way.

I found myself thinking that I notice some speakers for conservative views such as might be found here often but not always seem more interested in just disrupting liberal views rather than engaging. Perhaps that is a reaction to pressure in school to conform to certain ideas.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

ajax18 wrote:
In years past the lefts view on abortion was to make it safe, rare, and legal, which seemed to be in step with public opinion. Today's left wing SJWs demand that we celebrate abortion and indoctrinate the youth in public schools with the idea. The current left wing moral authorities are hedonistic people like Howard Stern. Why is abortion such an appealing idea to Democrat men? Because they want to be able to bang around without any chance of being held financially responsible. Kamala Harris said as much when she talked about how bad the Supreme Court ruling was for her sons. As bad as America has gotten, I still believe that most people have not sunken to Howard Stern or Schmo's view of morality. As always the far left is going to overplay their hand on this and I think they're going to pay for it the upcoming elections, assuming they're not allowed to cheat.
Wow today is not your day Hawkeye. You're on a roll here with some of the all time dumbest posts ever. The Left is out of step with public opinion?? That's only true if you attack a straw man of your own making. No one celebrates abortion. They celebrate bodily autonomy. You don't get to ever pretend to care about "muh freedums" anymore. If you let the State decided what you can do with your body, you don't really care about freedom because that's where all freedom begins.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Some folks have argued it’s too narrow a position, but I’m not saying it’s a comprehensive account, I’m just saying if it we’re not for Falwell and Weyrich’s campaign, abortion never would have become the wedge issue it is today.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

I don’t know if this adds to the conversation at all, but I’m listening to a podcast on Nixon currently, and part of the smear campaign they waged against McGovern was that he was for “acid, amnesty, and abortion.”
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:35 pm
I don’t know if this adds to the conversation at all, but I’m listening to a podcast on Nixon currently, and part of the smear campaign they waged against McGovern was that he was for “acid, amnesty, and abortion.”
Indeed it does. McGovern actually believed abortion should be left to the states, but this slogan was hung on him starting in the primaries. https://www.sdstandardnow.com/home/50-y ... l-campaign
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
“acid, amnesty, and abortion.”
Don't threaten me with a good time
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Today's left wing SJWs demand that we celebrate abortion and indoctrinate the youth in public schools with the idea.

You just made that all up, didn’t you? : D

The current left wing moral authorities are hedonistic people like Howard Stern.

Good Gawd. Isn’t Howard Stern basically dead, or at least 100 years old, by now? Is anybody listening to Howard Stern about anything?

… the far left is going to overplay their hand on this and I think they're going to pay for it the upcoming elections, assuming they're not allowed to cheat.

Do you believe that Trump was the actual winner of the election? Asking for a friend.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Xenophon wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:58 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
“acid, amnesty, and abortion.”
Don't threaten me with a good time
And... I'm dead.

:lol:
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

They celebrate bodily autonomy.
Except when it comes to masks, vaccines, eating red meat, or keeping your business open.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.