The fruits of nonglobal environmental regulations

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

The fruits of nonglobal environmental regulations

Post by Hawkeye »

How's the Paris Climate Accord Treaty working out for Western Europe? Man I can't wait for the Green New Deal to be passed into law here in the US. Let's get those prices jacked up where they need to be.

Public Must ‘Immediately’ Cut Energy Usage to Curb Threat to ‘Political Cohesion’ – Energy Companies

Protesters wave Ukrainian flags in front of the headquarters of French energy company Engie during a rally calling on the company to stop buying Russian natural gas, in the business district of La Defense, near Paris, on April 29, 2022. (Photo by Emmanuel DUNAND / AFP) (Photo by EMMANUEL

Energy companies in France have told the public that they must “immediately” reduce their energy usage as a result of Europe’s sanction war with Russia.

As a result of a sanctions war between Russia and Europe, the French public must now “immediately” cut back on the amount of energy they use, the heads of three major energy providers in the country have now said.

The demand comes shortly after Moscow dramatically reduced the amount of gas it is supplying to some European countries, while completely cutting off others seemingly in retaliation for sanctions imposed on Russia by Western powers.

According to a joint statement penned by the three energy tsars published by Le Journal De Dimanche, the extremely precarious energy situation now means that the French public must “immediately” cut back on their energy usage, or risk leaving the country in a vulnerable situation.

In particular, Engie Managing Director Catherine MacGregor, EDF Chief Executive Jean-Bernard Lévy and TotalEnergies CEO Patrick Pouyanné outlined rising prices as a result of the crisis as something that threatens the “social and political cohesion” of France.

By subscribing, you agree to our terms of use & privacy policy. You will receive email marketing messages from Breitbart News Network to the email you provide. You may unsubscribe at any time.

“Acting this summer will allow us to be better prepared to tackle next winter and in particular to preserve our gas reserves,” the statement penned by the three reads.

“We therefore call for awareness and collective and individual action so that each of us – each consumer, each company – changes their behaviour and immediately limits their consumption of energy, electricity, gas and petroleum products,” they continued.

“The effort must be immediate, collective and massive,” they went on to add. “Every gesture counts.”

The statement from the three French energy company heads comes as neighbouring Germany comes ever closer to economic cataclysm thanks to its overreliance on Russian energy exports that have now almost totally dried up.

In part a result of the country’s climate crazy agenda the state’s addiction to Russian gas, in particular, has left authorities in the country struggling to figure out how they could possibly keep the power on come the winter.

Having already appealed to the public to conserve energy, the country’s climate and economic minister, Robert Habeck, is now saying that he may be forced to shut down industry in order to keep the German grid afloat.

“Companies would have to stop production, lay off their workers, supply chains would collapse, people would go into debt to pay their heating bills, that people would become poorer,” the Green party official said regarding the plan.

Meanwhile, Italy has already begun rationing the use of heating and air conditioning within its public sector, mandating the likes of schools and public offices to never set their thermostats under 25 degrees celsius (77°F) in the summer and over 19 degrees (66°F) in the winter.

“Do we want to have peace [in Ukraine] or do we want to have the air conditioning on?” the country’s europhile Prime Minister Mario Draghi previously asked the public, despite the fact he has so far not been willing to hear the word “no” for an answer.

However, whether he listens to them or not, it seems Italians, in particular, may be turning against their state’s support for the Ukraine war, with the left-wing populist 5 Star Movement — a party that is currently in government — collapsing into infighting over the issue, to the point that it now threatens the future existence of the party.

This has resulted in an exodus from the party that has seemingly been led by the country’s sitting Foreign Affairs minister, Luigi Di Maio, who lambasted his old party as being “immature” over its failure to give proper support to his government’s support for Ukraine.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2022/0 ... companies/
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
ajax18
God

Re: The fruits of nonglobal environmental regulations

Post by ajax18 »

I hope Democrats can push through that Green New Deal. This country needs higher gasoline prices, more inflation, higher income taxes and above all needs to import more poverty from Latin America. Maybe abortion on the ballot can save the Dems where all their other lies and misdirections have failed.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:11 pm
I hope Democrats can push through that Green New Deal. This country needs higher gasoline prices, more inflation, higher income taxes and above all needs to import more poverty from Latin America. Maybe abortion on the ballot can save the Dems where all their other lies and misdirections have failed.
OK. Have it your way. Enjoy the droughts, heatwaves, wildfires and crop failures.

And you do realise that since things will be even worse to the south of the US, the pressure from desperate immigrants will get a lot worse too?

Have fun.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

OK. Have it your way. Enjoy the droughts, heatwaves, wildfires and crop failures.

And you do realise that since things will be even worse to the south of the US, the pressure from desperate immigrants will get a lot worse too?

Have fun.
Think about how much environmentalism has cost Western Europe in money. Now tell me how much less climate change we've gotten as a result of those expenditures. Was it worth it?

I'm kind of pleasantly surprised to see low income voters in the US who see as part of my job starting to understand that the Green New Deal costs them $6/gallon at the pump and $750/month in utilities if they water their lawn or use their air conditioner. I wish I could ask them how that tax the rich thing is working out for them.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:09 pm

Have fun.
Think about how much environmentalism has cost Western Europe in money. Now tell me how much less climate change we've gotten as a result of those expenditures. Was it worth it?

I'm kind of pleasantly surprised to see low income voters in the US who see as part of my job starting to understand that the Green New Deal costs them $6/gallon at the pump and $750/month in utilities if they water their lawn or use their air conditioner. I wish I could ask them how that tax the rich thing is working out for them.
Ah, the one stop grievance shopping.

There is no green new deal. There will never be a green new deal. There is no tax the rich. There is only tax cuts for the rich. What you are witnessing is the rich using market power to extract wealth from you and the poor. And it will keep on happening because you're being led around by the nose by people who laugh at you behind your back.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:11 pm
You don't understand anything at all about the Green New Deal. The necessity of it is only made more obvious than ever by recent events, like the invasion of Ukraine by Russia. If the green new deal had actually been in effect and passed years ago, we would be in much better shape both economically and environmentally than we are now. Please take an honest look at the research and analysis provided by the Rocky Mountain Institute that you have, so far, stubbornly and stupidly refused to even look at. The most pressing problems we are experiencing now are actually exacerbated by irrational resistance to implementing green energy initiatives.

Accelerated Clean Energy Development Could Save Americans $5 Billion Annually, Protecting against Inflation and Rising Natural Gas Prices
A Recipe for Cleaner Energy and Cost Savings

Our analysis examined the cost implications of a few key power sector tax credits, including:

A 10-year extension of the 30 percent Investment Tax Credit (ITC), which allows renewable energy, energy storage, or transmission project owners to recoup 30 percent of their investment through direct pay from the IRS. The ITC provides dollar-for-dollar credit for investments in renewable energy installations. The 10-year time frame will allow for long-term wind and solar investments and give regulators greater certainty on future clean energy costs.

A 10-year extension of the $25/MWh Production Tax Credit (PTC), which would provide a $25 tax rebate for every megawatt-hour of electricity produced by new clean energy sources — including solar — over the first 10 years of operation. The extended PTC allows developers to recoup their costs through direct pay from the IRS. In the past, solar projects have only qualified for the ITC, but with solar prices decreasing, a PTC will more effectively incentivize utilities to bring solar installations online at the pace and scale needed.

To unlock these full savings, we found that the power sector tax credit package needs to be in the form of direct pay, which helps electricity suppliers take full advantage of the incentives to reduce customers’ electricity bills. Today, the absence of a direct pay option for several clean electricity tax credits inhibits many utilities and other electricity suppliers from accessing affordable financing for new projects — which in turn slows renewable energy deployment.

Credits That More Than Pay for Themselves

This package of clean energy tax credits proposed in Congress earlier this year remains one of the most cost-effective ways to reduce emissions, according to research from the Energy Policy Institute at the University of Chicago and the Rhodium Group. This assessment found that these credits more than pay for themselves — with economic benefits three to four times greater than the cost of inaction.
The point to be made here is that many of the problems you are complaining about are not due to the Green New Deal. How can that be true when no comprehensive attempt has yet been made to implement it? On the contrary, we are facing increasingly dire straits precisely and largely because of our continuing, stupid failure to implement it!
A broad clean energy incentive package would also provide a down payment on a more secure energy system. New analysis from Energy Innovation shows that proposed tax credits for electric vehicles would offset fossil fuel demand equivalent to last year’s US imports of Russian oil. Those savings would be achieved in less than five years, and roughly half of the savings would be realized within 36 months. By 2030, the reduction would be more than double last year’s demand for Russian oil.

Building for Today and Tomorrow

This month, the cost of crude oil surged to its highest levels since 2008, while national average gas prices surpassed $4.57 a gallon. In addition, rising coal and natural gas prices have caused electricity rates to jump by 51 percent in the PJM electricity market (covering portions of the Midwest and mid-Atlantic) and 85 percent in New England. While some argue that increasing fossil fuel extraction will save us from these massive price spikes, the reality is that recent increases in oil and gas drilling have failed to bring fuel prices under control. And the Energy Information Administration projects that prices will remain high for at least another year — and perhaps longer, if global conflict continues.

Furthermore, investments in new fossil infrastructure can prove short-sighted, as they lock US consumers into decades of payments on assets that will soon be stranded as clean energy prices keep falling. Meanwhile, greenhouse gas emissions will continue to warm the atmosphere, leading not only to catastrophic long-term ramifications, but also near-term consequences. This summer is expected to (yet again) break temperature records, which will further increase demand for fossil fuels and push electricity costs even higher.

Now is as urgent a time as ever to think strategically about diversifying our energy sources and strengthening our economic resilience. And while we cannot transition our whole energy system to clean energy sources overnight, we can focus on the investments needed to make our system more resilient for the long run, which will save American households hundreds of dollars a month in the process. A strong clean energy tax credit package delivered by Congress can set the foundation for a more stable, affordable energy future.
Last edited by Gunnar on Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

A couple more questions for ajax.

1. Do you recognize that there really is such a thing as backfire effect that can make people irrationally cling to cherished but seriously mistaken beliefs?

2. Do you ever consider the possibility that you might be affected by that malady?

I reexamine my own thinking regularly for evidence of that malady, and have found myself occasionally having to modify erroneous thinking on my part. Several people here can attest to me having done that. If you can provide compelling evidence that I am mistaken about green energy and environmentalism, I promise you I will honestly consider it. So far, though, I have not seen you counter these arguments with anything better than PRATTs (points refuted a thousand times), if you even attempted to counter them at all.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

There is only tax cuts for the rich. What you are witnessing is the rich using market power to extract wealth from you and the poor. And it will keep on happening because you're being led around by the nose by people who laugh at you behind your back.
The party that promises to tax the rich has been in control of Congress and the presidency for two years now. If rich were using market wealth to extract from middle class people like myself, whose policy is that a result of?
Veritas
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

If the green new deal had actually been in effect and passed years ago, we would be in much better shape both economically and environmentally than we are now.
Well your party is in power. Say that Democrats retain control for another two years, what's your prediction for the next two years on gasoline costs? Will they start to come down then because of superior liberal Democrat green policies? How many degrees is it going to change the earth's temperature?

Let's talk about Europe. People like you and Greta Thunberg have been in charge over there for the last half a century? Is western Europe energy independent? Has it saved the planet? Because from my perspective, it looks like they've just been paying more for gasoline all this time. And in the end green technology just led to dependence of Russian fossil fuels. Are they in much better shape economically and environmentally now because of their anti fossil fuel policies? Did you even read the article and take note of what the result has been in France today?
Veritas